[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Watson news - won't face criminal charges

darin3

Since 2000, there have been more then 11 players suspended or exempt, most of the season or 1 yr (plus) : t Glenn,  a jones, Vick, Stallworth,  burrass, Cook, incognito,  Peterson, buffet, Garrett, ridley) and the more then 40 suspensions for drug use and failed drug tests including 32 games for Jarrell Freeman after his 3rd failed test.

So, do you consider a 1 yr suspension for Watson "Unprecedented "?

20 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

So, do you consider a 1 yr suspension for Watson "Unprecedented "?

Yes, only because the circumstances are very different from anything we've seen in the past. I certainly wouldn't be shocked if he's suspended for the whole season, in fact I'm expecting it at this point. I don't see how the NFL can lay down a suspension now when alleged victims are still coming forth. 

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

Yes, only because the circumstances are very different from anything we've seen in the past. I certainly wouldn't be shocked if he's suspended for the whole season, in fact I'm expecting it at this point. I don't see how the NFL can lay down a suspension now when alleged victims are still coming forth. 

I still don't connect a 1 yr suspension with "Unprecedented". 

Others have been charged with assault etc 

It's been done more then 50 times, 2 yrs would be more Unprecedented  in my mind 

17 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

I still don't connect a 1 yr suspension with "Unprecedented". 

Others have been charged with assault etc 

It's been done more then 50 times, 2 yrs would be more Unprecedented  in my mind 

Perhaps, but this is unique in the fact that 2 grand juries refused to indict Watson. He was not arrested, charged nor convicted. It's all hearsay. 

31 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Perhaps, but this is unique in the fact that 2 grand juries refused to indict Watson. He was not arrested, charged nor convicted. It's all hearsay. 

2 grand juries,  but in theory there could be 14 more criminal complaints filed. 

But to your point, lets look at the 40 drug suspensions, how many of those were charged, faced indictment or convinced of a crime, yet suspended over a season. -

2 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

2 grand juries,  but in theory there could be 14 more criminal complaints filed. 

But to your point, lets look at the 40 drug suspensions, how many of those were charged, faced indictment or convinced of a crime, yet suspended over a season. -

I don't disagree with you at all. I'm just saying it's way different than anything we've ever seen. The allegations are just piling on. Do you remember anything like this, a serial whatever in the public eye? Nobody cares about some crackhead getting caught with a bag of weed. This is front page, not good for the NFL. 

18 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

Those suspended for a year due to drug violations had multiple failures against a very clearly defined policy, so it’s not really an apples to apples comparison.  

That being said, unprecedented it would not be.  If your argument is about the inequality of enforcement, I don’t think you’ll find disagreement.  But that is really on the player union to collectively bargain out minor drug offenses; or even better for all us, Goddell’s judge jury and executioner powers.  

36 minutes ago, Def. said:

Those suspended for a year due to drug violations had multiple failures against a very clearly defined policy, so it’s not really an apples to apples comparison.  

That being said, unprecedented it would not be.  If your argument is about the inequality of enforcement, I don’t think you’ll find disagreement.  But that is really on the player union to collectively bargain out minor drug offenses; or even better for all us, Goddell’s judge jury and executioner powers.  

The drug stuff was a retort to LC arguments that Watson hasn't been convicted or indicated for a crime, therefore the penalty is "Unprecedented".   But the league doesn't need a crime to occur to suspend a player.

I'm not really arguing the inequality of enforcement prior to knowing the enforcement 

I think the suspension has already been negotiated and the league wants Watson on the field so we are hearing about "Unprecedented suspension " in order to sell it to the public,  and avoid any talk of multiple years per Bauer (MLB) and ensure the league looks like it did enough to appease its base (both fans and sponsors)

19 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Sure if you say so, only the Browns have bad fans who say dumb stuff online :rolleyes:   Nevermind people are defending Watson and bashing his accusers who are not even Browns fans. 

I'm a Browns fans, and was asked recently by a friend (a Steeler fan) how I feel, and I told him and he said that's what he's heard from many Browns fans, which isn't as well represented in random "forums". 

I don’t think that the Browns fans are alone in their stupidity. But I don’t think that’s an excuse for the way that many are currently handling the situation. 

4 hours ago, j4pac said:

I don’t think that the Browns fans are alone in their stupidity. But I don’t think that’s an excuse for the way that many are currently handling the situation. 

Problem is, your views seem to be mostly based off fan forums, and not even talking to an actual Browns fan.

Lots of Steeler fans I encounter online are complete fools, act like they've never had bad seasons or problem players. But the Steeler fans I know personally and talk with are not like that. 

1 minute ago, stevegrab said:

Problem is, your views seem to be mostly based off fan forums, and not even talking to an actual Browns fan.

Lots of Steeler fans I encounter online are complete fools, act like they've never had bad seasons or problem players. But the Steeler fans I know personally and talk with are not like that. 

Some fan bases are just bigger and therefore more passionate about their teams. You're always going have some bad apples regardless, it doesn't matter who you root for. 

22 minutes ago, Shaft said:

As mentioned in this and most other stories about the settlements, NFL official Brian McCarthy basically saying "this has no bearing on NFL decisions".

I wonder, are the 2 more recent cases to be filed 2 of the 4 that are not settled?

And what changed? I thought Watson said he was innocent, and would not settle? Maybe that was before the heat got turned up or he had the extra $230 million to help him settle.  

58 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

And what changed? I thought Watson said he was innocent, and would not settle? Maybe that was before the heat got turned up or he had the extra $230 million to help him settle

Yeah, I'm not sure if this helps his case at all. It may ultimately bite him in the ass, unless the NFL and he discussed it prior. 

1 hour ago, purplemonster said:

That will be interesting how that changes things. The NFL says it won't but if I was a betting man I think it probably would. The more oxygen that gets blown into this case the worse it seems to get so this seems like a positive for Watson. 

I'm pretty much leaning this way pending the reason for 4 or 6 cases not settling.

Still expecting the year at this point.  Figure either suspend him the year or listen to it be talked about ad nauseam through out the season because once again didn't take a hard line stance against aggressive behavior towards woman. 

2 hours ago, boltnlava said:

I'm pretty much leaning this way pending the reason for 4 or 6 cases not settling.

The 1st woman to file a complaint didn't settle,  and the 20 could be the 20 that where about to settle at the trade deadline last year (when it was all or nothing) I'm not sure if any of these 4 have filled criminal complaints,  as I'm sure they negotiated away any rights to future actions.   

Buzbee alluded to the 4 wanting to go to court (and putting it all out there in the open for all to see)

16 hours ago, millworkguy said:

The 1st woman to file a complaint didn't settle,  and the 20 could be the 20 that where about to settle at the trade deadline last year (when it was all or nothing) I'm not sure if any of these 4 have filled criminal complaints,  as I'm sure they negotiated away any rights to future actions.   

Buzbee alluded to the 4 wanting to go to court (and putting it all out there in the open for all to see)

I'm not sure if Buzbee said the other 4 are not willing to settle and will definitely proceed to trial or not. But some media following the story believe they are still negotiating and could settle in the near future. 

There's also a strong feeling from some that the NFL has been talking with Watson about the possible punishment, and put pressure on him to settle the legal matters as a way to reduce the punishment. If the women suing him and who filed criminal charges are willing to make some settlement and be happy with the terms, its a lot easier to say "its been addressed" and Watson doesn't need a really long (year or more, indefinite etc) suspension. Of course the NFL won't admit that, and Watson won't come out and say "I settled even though I think I'm innocent so I can get back to playing football."  But that is most likely what is going on here. Heck Watson claimed from day one, and as recently as a few days ago that settling was not his plan, he wanted to be cleared in court proceedings. Maybe he is now realizing that isn't going to happen, or that if he wants a good NFL career he needs to settle and try to move on. 

Both parties (Watson's attorney and Buzzbee) have already agreed the trials will not go on during the NFL season, that realistically gives the other 4 cases another 7-8 months to be resolved. 

Not sure what to make of the true impact on his suspension, local media things that decision may come as soon as before 4th of July weekend, but will definitely come before training camp opens in late July. 

I don't think this changes much in the eyes of the NFL.  I still think he's getting the year suspension.  Maybe they can appeal and knock it down to 10 games or something, but yeah I think his '22 season is all but shot.

Another interesting article, from early June, about the settlement that was offered by Watson last year around the trade deadline of $100,000 but was rejected by the group overall, though 18 of the 22 original group did accept it. Those not accepting didn't like the strict NDA that was included, which the Watson camp said was something they were doing to satisfy the Dolphins who were looking to trade for him. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/deshaun-watson-allegedly-offered-100000-to-settle-each-lawsuit-but-his-money-was-rejected-for-this-reason/

So now we have a settlement reached with all but 4 of the women, same as before. Very likely the same 4 are holding out. Are they really holding out for a trial, or more money, or less strict NDA (which will be part of any settlement, parties cannot talk about the terms, the money, etc.). 

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Another interesting article, from early June, about the settlement that was offered by Watson last year around the trade deadline of $100,000 but was rejected by the group overall, though 18 of the 22 original group did accept it. Those not accepting didn't like the strict NDA that was included, which the Watson camp said was something they were doing to satisfy the Dolphins who were looking to trade for him. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/deshaun-watson-allegedly-offered-100000-to-settle-each-lawsuit-but-his-money-was-rejected-for-this-reason/

So now we have a settlement reached with all but 4 of the women, same as before. Very likely the same 4 are holding out. Are they really holding out for a trial, or more money, or less strict NDA (which will be part of any settlement, parties cannot talk about the terms, the money, etc.). 

That's a good question.  Part of me says "more money", but who knows. What a mess.

I inherited a team with him on the roster and I sorta feel dirty :lol: