[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Watson news - won't face criminal charges

darin3

39 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

I assume that the league appeals that

Very likely but even if they do, starting from that low of a bar, really where can they go?

5 minutes ago, Shaft said:

And it changes the entire fantasy outlook for that offense. 

Yup, that's exactly what I was saying. Drafts happened and are happening and players are being had for a discount. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, millworkguy said:

But Goodall is judge and jury in the appeal 

Why even have the independent arbiter if Goodell is just going to rule anyways?  Seems like a pretty unnecessary step that occurred here.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Why even have the independent arbiter if Goodell is just going to rule anyways?  Seems like a pretty unnecessary step that occurred here.  

I've argued that for awhile now,  we are going to end up with whatever Goodall wants

Somewhat sure that according to the CBA,

Arbiter rules

NFL can appeal the Arbiter

then the NFLPA takes it to Federal Court next

Gotta like the massages addendum too:

Judge Sue L. Robinson's full ruling was a suspension for the first six games of the season, no additional fine, and requirements that Watson shall not receive massages other than directed by club personnel and shall not have adverse involvement with law enforcement.

Edited by Riffraff

There was lots of chatter on the 11PM news last night, first that "word was the decision would come Monday" then that "Watson camp and NFLPA came out saying we'll accept the decision and won't appeal, and we ask the NFL to do the same".  Many in the media felt that meant the suspension would be in line with the 6-8 game "low end" range that would be acceptable. Not sure I'd buy that, because honestly there was never much benefit to the player side appealing, since that's a decision by Goodell or his hand picked person, who of course answers to him. 

Finally at the end of the sports report they mentioned that Robinson had informed both parties "a decision will come tomorrow morning" removing any speculation that it was the plan. And leading up to that while I heard some frustration from some on the team that the decision was dragging out, that was at least in part due to ongoing negotiations between the two sides, who were still far apart. NFL wanted 12 games + $8M fine, Watson wanted 4 games with no fine. 

Now the NFL has 3 days to appeal. Some feel they won't since is the first time the new system where Goodell alone doesn't decide the punishment is being used. Otherwise NFLPA would argue the new system is a sham. I guess they agreed to it since it could be better, and they'll want to test that.

Story below has quite a good review of the details. One I was interested to read says that Watson must get all massage therapy from the team. Not sure how that is enforced, or how it works when he is away from the team during suspension or during the offseason. Are they going to send a therapist from to him? 

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/08/browns-qb-deshaun-watson-suspended-6-games-by-nfl-disciplinary-officer-sue-l-robinson-for-alleged-sexual-misconduct.html

Now for how I feel...

As a fan who wants this to work out since we spent so much in draft picks and salary (cap implications, could care less how Haslam spends his billions) to sign him. As a person looking at what he is accused of, it may not seem really fair. But then how much do we really know? Reading the article I linked, it talks about Watson's attorney saying that one of the accuses (Ashley Solis) took this case to several attorneys before she found Buzbee willing to take it, who then took on another 20+ cases and ran to social media creating a stir. We all saw that as it unfolded, and many wondered how legit the cases were. I'm not dismissing the claims entirely, but I also don't see a settlement of the civil lawsuits as a sign of guilt. Watson made some claims early on, he did nothing wrong, had no regrets over any of it, he didn't need therapy and changes his tune on some of that. Is it an act, or is he really accepting he acted inappropriately and trying to change and make amends.

4 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Definitely, I'd say best case scenario for both he & the Browns. I'm shocked that he got off so easy but I'd be shocked if the NFL appeals. 

Curious why an NFL appeal shock you?   Is it related to what Riffraff posted about NFLPA taking it to court?

57 minutes ago, Riffraff said:

Somewhat sure that according to the CBA,

Arbiter rules

NFL can appeal the Arbiter

then the NFLPA takes it to Federal Court next

Gotta like the massages addendum too:

Hmm that is interesting about NFLPA taking it to court, is that something you read/heard somewhere. Obviously this is American anybody can sue anybody for anything if you can get an attorney to take the case. But that isn't something I had heard as a realistic step in the process. I guess other punishments have gone to court, but cannot recall any at the moment. 

NFL needs to stop presenting like they give a manure about abuse.  Their policies and penalties clearly show time and time again they do not and they are just there as a way to cater to mobs when there's video or overwhelming evidence.  Like many I have serious questions about what occurred, but the long and short is something occurred one way or another and even if they were all consenting transactions it is still arguably a form of abuse.  6 games really is kind of a joke.  

15 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Curious why an NFL appeal shock you?   Is it related to what Riffraff posted about NFLPA taking it to court?

Hmm that is interesting about NFLPA taking it to court, is that something you read/heard somewhere. Obviously this is American anybody can sue anybody for anything if you can get an attorney to take the case. But that isn't something I had heard as a realistic step in the process. I guess other punishments have gone to court, but cannot recall any at the moment. 

I could be wrong but I don't think they'll appeal against the very system they implemented. And I strongly doubt they want to drag this out any longer. 

18 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I could be wrong but I don't think they'll appeal against the very system they implemented. And I strongly doubt they want to drag this out any longer. 

OK that echoes what some in the media are saying. I can see that angle, but if Goodell wants his pound of flesh I don't see that mattering much. And if there a lot of outrage over the outcome it will be directed at the NFL, and he'll feel the need to act. 

I find it odd that the NFL.com story headline uses the word "recommend" for Robinsons decision. As if that's all it is and Goodell can just over rule and make it whatever he wants. The only other use of that word in the story refers to what the NFL recommended a full year suspension. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/deshaun-watson-informed-by-judge-sue-l-robinson-he-should-be-suspended-six-games

The NFL story is worth reading, has some good info regarding this new process and why the players agreed to it. Basically if Robinson says "there was no violation of the personal conduct policy" the NFL cannot appeal and punish him. It also mentioned the decision on appeal by Goodell or his designee would be final (of course courts can always get involved). 

Edited by stevegrab

9 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

OK that echoes what some in the media are saying. I can see that angle, but if Goodell wants his pound of flesh I don't see that mattering much. And if there a lot of outrage over the outcome it will be directed at the NFL, and he'll feel the need to act. 

I find it odd that the NFL.com story headline uses the word "recommend" for Robinsons decision. As if that's all it is and Goodell can just over rule and make it whatever he wants. The only other use of that word in the story refers to what the NFL recommended a full year suspension. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/deshaun-watson-informed-by-judge-sue-l-robinson-he-should-be-suspended-six-games

The NFL story is worth reading, has some good info regarding this new process and why the players agreed to it. Basically if Robinson says "there was no violation of the personal conduct policy" the NFL cannot appeal and punish him. It also mentioned the decision on appeal by Goodell or his designee would be final (of course courts can always get involved). 

What's the buzz in Cleveland? Are they just happy it's finally over? 

On nfl.com the headline is that she "recommended a 6 game suspension based on previous league decisions. 

and, Robinson wrote that the NFL successfully "carried its burden to prove, by a preponderance of the evidence, that Mr. Watson violated the [personal-conduct] policy" by engaging in "sexual assault

17 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

What's the buzz in Cleveland? Are they just happy it's finally over? 

Don't know, I don't listen to sports talk, nor have I watched or listened to any news since it came out. Haven't even heard from any of my friends about it. I do know he got a very positive reaction from fans attending their practice on Saturday. 

Last week Jim Donovan (25 years as their radio announcer) who does the sports on the channel I watch was getting angry that the decision was not out yet. Something I rarely see from him over many years watching him do the news. They had a special program on last to talk about what might come, but I was too pooped stay up and watch. 

I do wonder if they would have pursued Rosen if they knew this. I suspect they may have, because if Brissett were to get hurt they don't to go to Josh Dobbs who has 0 starts and just 17 pass attempts since being drafted back in 2017. 

2 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Don't know, I don't listen to sports talk, nor have I watched or listened to any news since it came out. Haven't even heard from any of my friends about it. I do know he got a very positive reaction from fans attending their practice on Saturday. 

Last week Jim Donovan (25 years as their radio announcer) who does the sports on the channel I watch was getting angry that the decision was not out yet. Something I rarely see from him over many years watching him do the news. They had a special program on last to talk about what might come, but I was too pooped stay up and watch. 

I do wonder if they would have pursued Rosen if they knew this. I suspect they may have, because if Brissett were to get hurt they don't to go to Josh Dobbs who has 0 starts and just 17 pass attempts since being drafted back in 2017. 

If they can just hold down the fort and go .500 they'll be sitting pretty for when he comes back. I would imagine that the Browns are ecstatic. 

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Honestly the little I've seen of Dobbs is better than what Rosen's showed.  I think the Rosen thing was just to have some warm bodies rotating in while this whole Watson fiasco was sorted out.  

Maybe I'm wrong... but Rosen is hot garbage.  Dobbs has at least flashed a LITTLE and appears to have it between the ears to some extent.

The guys on the lunch hour here on NFL Radio seem to think the NFL will appeal for more games.  Like 8-12 probably.  Why even have the independent arbiter?  So stupid.

Watson obviously did some shady things, but this whole drawn-out process is just a joke considering Goodell gets to be judge, jury and executioner when it's all said and done.  Smug ahole he is.

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

27 minutes ago, darin3 said:

The guys on the lunch hour here on NFL Radio seem to think the NFL will appeal for more games.  Like 8-12 probably.  Why even have the independent arbiter?  So stupid.

Watson obviously did some shady things, but this whole drawn-out process is just a joke considering Goodell gets to be judge, jury and executioner when it's all said and done.  Smug ahole he is.

To your bolded question, I wondered the same thing. The bolded part of my post above was news to me, and may be a big part of NFLPA accepting this system. I also think the NFLPA figures the NFL isn't just going to appeal every ruling to add more punishment. It would certainly make the new system a sham.