[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Watson news - won't face criminal charges

darin3

What the (the really bad word) is taking this Goodell stooge so long. We all know what Goodell wants, I guess he enjoys watching the Browns twist in the wind trying to figure out if they can or should play Watson in Friday's pre season opener. They announce yesterday (when they traveled to Jacksonville) that Watson will start the game. 

If it is a year long, or indefinite suspension, the NFLPA/Watson could sue, get the TRO and continue preseason activity. But they may not. And even if Goodells suspension could not (or doesn't) specify that Watson has to sit immediately, what's the point in playing pre-season if he won't play this year (assuming year long suspension and no lawsuit or TRO allowing him to continue.

I had to laugh at a comment (on the PFT story) that says if the NFL does this that will allow them to get tough on owners that do bad things, nonsense. If this were Haslam or Snyder they would not be punished much at all, certainly not held in limbo like this. But then, they OWN the NFL, and have a voice. 

Yes I'm pissed, never wanted this guy and the headaches that came with him, just a long suffering fan stuck with more crap. 

Edited by stevegrab

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

What the (the really bad word) is taking this Goodell stooge so long. We all know what Goodell wants, I guess he enjoys watching the Browns twist in the wind trying to figure out if they can or should play Watson in Friday's pre season opener. They announce yesterday (when they traveled to Jacksonville) that Watson will start the game.

I would think or at least hope they'll make a decision prior to the game. The NFL does not want his face on TV in anyway, shape or form. 

• Like 1

Well cue the Jimmy G rumors again, apparently some "NFL source" has said it will happen if the suspension is significantly increased from 6 games (DUH of course it is going to be much longer)

Of course considering Jimmy G and actually working out a deal to sign him are two entirely different things. Let the circus continue.

Just now, League_Champion said:

Deshaun Watson would be willing to accept an 8-game suspension and $5 million fine to avoid a season-long suspension, per @robmaaddi 

At least he is coming to the table with a realistic starting point. 

I'd still like to see 12 games (if not a yr) and I'm curious what his victims feel about a 5 million fine when they likely split much less

On 8/11/2022 at 10:47 AM, stevegrab said:

What the (the really bad word) is taking this Goodell stooge so long.

Uh, he's not the one making the decision, man.  And today is the first day that anything can be settled.

Link

Goodell has an ex-Attorney General from New Jersey handling the appeal.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, darin3 said:

Uh, he's not the one making the decision, man.  And today is the first day that anything can be settled.

Link

Goodell has an ex-Attorney General from New Jersey handling the appeal.

You think this guy really gets to make an independent decision??? Come on man you're better than that. He will do exactly as Goodell as wants. 

Not sure where you get the bolded, even your linked article says there is no timeline for a decision

6 hours ago, stevegrab said:

You think this guy really gets to make an independent decision??? Come on man you're better than that. He will do exactly as Goodell as wants. 

Not sure where you get the bolded, even your linked article says there is no timeline for a decision

It was said on NFL Radio that yesterday was the earliest anything could have been decided.  I don't just make crap up.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, darin3 said:

It was said on NFL Radio that yesterday was the earliest anything could have been decided.  I don't just make crap up.

Thanks, sorry if it sounded like I was saying you made it up, but you posted info with a link about the suspension and appeal, I figured maybe that article mentioned it. I've followed this pretty closely, watching the local news every day, and reading a lot of stories. All I ever heard was "this has to be an expedited decision but there is no timeline."

I still thinks its odd to believe this guy is really making some decision on his own, Goodell hand picked and even if he didn't tell him "this is what you're going to do..." he has made it very clear what he wants. If this guy comes back with anything less than a full season and several million dollar fine we should all be shocked. 

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Thanks, sorry if it sounded like I was saying you made it up, but you posted info with a link about the suspension and appeal, I figured maybe that article mentioned it. I've followed this pretty closely, watching the local news every day, and reading a lot of stories. All I ever heard was "this has to be an expedited decision but there is no timeline."

I still thinks its odd to believe this guy is really making some decision on his own, Goodell hand picked and even if he didn't tell him "this is what you're going to do..." he has made it very clear what he wants. If this guy comes back with anything less than a full season and several million dollar fine we should all be shocked. 

No worries - I should have been more clear.  I heard them talking about the earliest anything could have been decided and that was apparently Friday.  I just pulled the best link I could that talked about the dude who's hearing the appeal.

I'd bet they figure this all out sometime this week.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, millworkguy said:

I was reading something today that said an agreement between the league and watson maybe close and the arbitrator is holding off making his decision while the sides are still negotiating. 

Interesting...last I heard was Watson making an offer of 8 games and some millions (5-10) in a fine. Which is still light years from what Goodell wants. I doubt NFL accepts less than 10-12 games, but even that seems unlikely with what Goodell has said. Also not sure why the NFL is willing to negotiate and have less punishment, after their strong stance that will make them look soft and unwilling to deal with issues in the league. (I'm sure its all about $$$)

Word out of Browns camp is that Brissett will get a lot more time with the first team in practice and pre-season (he didn't play first game). They are doing some combined practices with the Eagles this week leading up to the game on Sunday. 

Referring to Goodell's appointed decision maker as an "arbitrator" is not accurate since they are not really independent.  Sue Robinson who ruled already was the arbitrator. Still a very flawed system, where the arbitrator rules first, then an appeal can be maid, but is heard by somebody that one side picks. Should be the other way around.

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Referring to Goodell's appointed decision maker as an "arbitrator" is not accurate since they are not really independent.  Sue Robinson who ruled already was the arbitrator. Still a very flawed system, where the arbitrator rules first, then an appeal can be maid, but is heard by somebody that one side picks. Should be the other way around.

I think they are trying to deal to settle any further issues (actual court) and have the nfl possibly lose power by way of a court action.   Yes the system is flawed,  but I also think judge Robinson was flawed in her decision,  while actual law dictates previous precedent I don't know that the nfl shouldn't be allowed in increase fines and punishment, esp when the judge found he likely guilty.

1 hour ago, millworkguy said:

I think they are trying to deal to settle any further issues (actual court) and have the nfl possibly lose power by way of a court action.   Yes the system is flawed,  but I also think judge Robinson was flawed in her decision,  while actual law dictates previous precedent I don't know that the nfl shouldn't be allowed in increase fines and punishment, esp when the judge found he likely guilty.

How?  Why?  You are not privy to all of the documentation she was presented with.  You're questioning the analysis of a longtime judge?  Seems a little "out there".

Anyways, it sounds like there will be an announcement either today or tomorrow on this... whether it's the new guy's decision or a compromise the NFL and Watson's camp came to.

2 hours ago, darin3 said:

How?  Why? 

I told you in the rest of my post.

I don't think the nfl punishments should necessarily be subject to the legal concept of precedent. 

When the judge issued her punishment the concept of precedent was attributed to the NFLPA "bounty" -footnote 40.  This may or maybe something that is actually defined in the cba - similar to the concept of "sexual assault " is not actually defined and the judge decided to use the nfl's definition ("as it's their prerogative to use the policy on their players")

The flaw is that eventually 1+1=3, as with each decision we get further from the intent of the law.  Take the concept you shouldn't kill - how many exclusions from that do we now have ?  

too many in my opinion 

Edited by millworkguy