[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Watson news - won't face criminal charges

darin3

13 minutes ago, Big John said:

ESPN is saying that Watson will meet with the NFL this week regarding the allegations.

I'm guessing he's gonna get a 2-game suspension.

Relatedly, y'all see the cupcake schedule the NFL gave the Brownies to start the season?  It's almost like they knew they were gonna suspend him, but still wanted to make them a viable team in the AFC so threw them a bone so to speak.  

@CAR

vs. NYJ

vs. PIT

@ATL    

All very winnable games, even with Jacoby Brisset under center.  Just hand the ball to Chubb and Hunt 40 times.

Edited by darin3
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 1:38 PM, darin3 said:

I'm guessing he's gonna get a 2-game suspension.

Relatedly, y'all see the cupcake schedule the NFL gave the Brownies to start the season?  It's almost like they knew they were gonna suspend him, but still wanted to make them a viable team in the AFC so threw them a bone so to speak.  

@CAR

vs. NYJ

vs. PIT

@ATL    

All very winnable games, even with Jacoby Brisset under center.  Just hand the ball to Chubb and Hunt 40 times.

2 games would seem very low. But nothing would surprise me, seems like the Browns were convinced there would be no major repercussions.

Still not sure something happens this year, all the talk of the investigation being in progress, and the civil suits not being in court during the NFL season I figured it would wait until next year.

Yes the schedule is soft up front, but their first primetime game is in week 3, at PIT on TNF (Amazon). I suppose that might back up the "2 game" feeling. No Ben or other star players in PIT, I'd think they want Watson present for that. 

16 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

Supposedly real sports will be airing interviews with his accusers this week, and the league has determined they need additional time to interview him, especially after MLB suspension of Bauer for 2 SEASONS, 

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/.amp/browns-maven-features/watson-situation-limits-of-fans

Wow, can you imagine? 

Edited by League_Champion

12 hours ago, millworkguy said:

Supposedly real sports will be airing interviews with his accusers this week, and the league has determined they need additional time to interview him, especially after MLB suspension of Bauer for 2 SEASONS, 

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/.amp/browns-maven-features/watson-situation-limits-of-fans

I think I had mentioned the Bauer suspension earlier and wondered what if any impact that might have on the Watson situation. The fact that they have more questions after 3 days talking to him isn't good. Not sure I'm seeing any real evidence that the NFL is considering a suspension like Bauer's, just media say "they won't ignore it and want to look bad by having lesser punishment".  

Either way the stench is not coming off this situation easily, the Browns may can blow smoke all they want, doesn't change the situation, or the potential for a lengthy suspension or future similar troubles. 

The questions are also not bound to any confidentiality,  so the clip about the 1st woman to sue leaving in tears, and the investigation seeing the apology from Watson has been gaining momentum.   I agree,  if he can't convince the nfl he did nothing wrong, it really makes me wonder how bad his testimony was, and if the nfl is starting to believe they might have a bigger problem then they thought,  not to mention its not like Cleveland has embraced him and celebrated his arrival,  A host of others have gotten away from real nfl discipline,  and the poor public relations on this maybe having more of an influence then years prior.  Wasn't rice only suspended after tmz got the video out to everyone- the nfl saw it and didn't see a problem till the public saw it.

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Either way the stench is not coming off this situation easily, the Browns may can blow smoke all they want, doesn't change the situation, or the potential for a lengthy suspension or future similar troubles

Yup, this is not good now that the victims will be making their publicity tour. He's going to get buried in public opinion. 

Quite a few differences between the Bauer case and Watson's.  First and foremost Bauer's revolves around violent acts.  And probably just as damning is there is photographic proof of everything.

Watson is accused of wanting handies from IG "masseuses".  I don't want to generalize, but I've seen these types advertising their services and let's just say it's unclear as to what kind of services they really do offer.  

Yeah, maybe they're legit massage therapists (maybe?), in which case Watson is a creep - maybe some would say borderline sexual deviant - but we don't have any photographic/video evidence nor did his acts involve any kind of violence.

19 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Quite a few differences between the Bauer case and Watson's.  First and foremost Bauer's revolves around violent acts.  And probably just as damning is there is photographic proof of everything.

Watson is accused of wanting handies from IG "masseuses".  I don't want to generalize, but I've seen these types advertising their services and let's just say it's unclear as to what kind of services they really do offer.  

Yeah, maybe they're legit massage therapists (maybe?), in which case Watson is a creep - maybe some would say borderline sexual deviant - but we don't have any photographic/video evidence nor did his acts involve any kind of violence.

Not doubt, but he hasn't been tried in the court of public opinion yet. Let's see what happens after we hear from the "victims". Things could change real fast. 

2 hours ago, darin3 said:

Watson is accused of wanting handies from IG "masseuses".  

I think you're being a little generous with "wanting a handy"  forcing someone to touch your junk, or forcing someone to touch your junk, touching someone else's junk without consent is sexual assault- slap an ass, grap a t!t etc etc.  While the scale differs, the action doesn't. 

Does it matter if you steal 1 buck or 5000?  It's theft.  I believe some of the women are actually RMT's.  Register massage therapists = school, courses, passing examinations, if you can't tell, ask.

Because the RMT I see, gets calls weekly asking if they have masseuses of certain ethic backgrounds, and they know in seconds what your actually looking for. 

• Haha 1

Some are now saying the investigation may go longer than anticipated, and no decision in early June more likely by early July. 

A couple of stories from the local media

last nights local news feedback after the HBO special

https://youtu.be/1nKYhLweRfY

Watson's attorney thinks its unlikely the NFL finds him innocent and no suspension, even if that is what they believe

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/lawyer-for-deshaun-watson-bad-publicity-will-make-it-hard-for-nfl-to-issue-no-punishment-browns-qb/95-346d32cf-65a0-4965-82b2-3a9c1dfe4cca

Jim Donovan (radio voice of the Browns) "its time for a conclusion"

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/commentary/jim-donovan-jimmys-take-time-for-a-conclusion-deshaun-watson-saga-cleveland-browns/95-e1596b38-38ac-42f7-b9a9-43c025a8d2fc

37 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

The 3 strikes your out law does exactly this.

And  Robbery is defined as a serious crime.

Theft of amounts less than something in the range 500-1000 is considered a misdemeanor, not a felony in most places. 

Now if you used a weapon during the robbery, that could make it a felony and more "serious" crime (whatever loose definition is being used for that). 

7 hours ago, League_Champion said:

I don't know why but I have a strange feeling that it's going to be a major suspension, possibly a year. I'd say at least 8 games, especially with the victims going public. 

It's funny - I want you to be right but I have the opposite feeling. I think they're going to go light on the guy. Not getting those grand juries to hand down an indictment makes me think the cases that were presented were not very strong. This says absolutely nothing about whether he did or didn't commit crimes. Only that as a matter of law that is some weak sauce.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, stethant said:

It's funny - I want you to be right but I have the opposite feeling. I think they're going to go light on the guy. Not getting those grand juries to hand down an indictment makes me think the cases that were presented were not very strong. This says absolutely nothing about whether he did or didn't commit crimes. Only that as a matter of law that is some weak sauce.

I'll disagree,  the grand jury isn't made up of lawyers,  and texas doesn't seem to value the opinion of women (and their individual rights) highly , this is now more about the court of public opinion. 

Bauer wasn't charged, has texts from the woman asking for rough intercourse,  and stating she enjoyed their prev encounter.   Watson isn't quite sure what he did to make her cry, apologized and has numerous women saying he was inappropriate.   

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, boltnlava said:

yes in a court of law it does.

Don't mind him, he's already made up his mind about this entire thing.  Some people just make up their mind and that's it.  I'm not blaming him per se', but his mind's made up.

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

Don't mind him, he's already made up his mind about this entire thing.  Some people just make up their mind and that's it.  I'm not blaming him per se', but his mind's made up.

That's poor of you, I haven't made up my mind, but I'm not defending him, which also implies someone has made up their mind.   I posted that bauer's actions and his are not as night and day different then your post suggests. 

And no, the charge here is theft under 5000, and theft over 5000.

Edited by millworkguy
  • Confused 1

ESPN's Sarah Barshop reports that a 23rd civil lawsuit has been filed against Deshaun Watson.

Barshop notes that according to the petition, the plaintiff "changed her mind about filing a lawsuit after watching the HBO Real Sports piece" that aired last Tuesday. We continue to have no real update on what a reasonable timeline looks like for Watson's return for the NFL, but it's probably not great news for said timetable if more women are coming forward. USA Today added another portion of the petition, which reads: "But it was Watson himself claiming that even now he has 'no regrets’ and has done nothing wrong that solidified her resolve. She brings this case seeking minimum compensation, but to obtain a court finding that Watson’s conduct was wrong.”

52 minutes ago, Riffraff said:

ESPN's Sarah Barshop reports that a 23rd civil lawsuit has been filed against Deshaun Watson.

Barshop notes that according to the petition, the plaintiff "changed her mind about filing a lawsuit after watching the HBO Real Sports piece" that aired last Tuesday. We continue to have no real update on what a reasonable timeline looks like for Watson's return for the NFL, but it's probably not great news for said timetable if more women are coming forward. USA Today added another portion of the petition, which reads: "But it was Watson himself claiming that even now he has 'no regrets’ and has done nothing wrong that solidified her resolve. She brings this case seeking minimum compensation, but to obtain a court finding that Watson’s conduct was wrong.”

I find this really interesting,  as it maybe a way for Cleveland to void Watson’s contract.   There was alot of language about all the cases that he told them about,  a new case (additional massages) may not have been included in the list and may open the door for the team.

11 hours ago, millworkguy said:

I find this really interesting,  as it maybe a way for Cleveland to void Watson’s contract.   There was alot of language about all the cases that he told them about,  a new case (additional massages) may not have been included in the list and may open the door for the team.

That would be so Cleveland. Lose the draft picks, lose Watson and lose Mayfield. 

• Sad 1