[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Amari Cooper to Browns

Chief Dick

They were expected to go after a WR in FA and another in the draft, first round or two, since they may not have Landry back next year

Here's a link, and info on what was involved, that's a nice move by the Browns

Cowboys agree to trade Amari Cooper to Browns for draft picks (usatoday.com) 

"The Cowboys agreed to trade Amari Cooper and a sixth-round pick to the Browns for a fifth- and sixth-round pick. So in other words, they’re getting a fifth-round pick in return for the star receiver."

Terrible trade for the Cowboys, but what else was to be expected?

3 hours ago, Big John said:

They got something for someone they were going to cut.

Yeah, I get it but I still believe the situation could've been handled better prior to this point, no?

1 hour ago, irish said:

Yeah, I get it but I still believe the situation could've been handled better prior to this point, no?

Not sure they had a lot of leverage with their cap situation.   

I love the Cooper signing, both as a Browns fan and a fantasy owner with Cooper as a potential keeper. It cost the Browns almost nothing, just a fifth round pick (likely to be in the bottom half/third of the draft), for a guy that cost a 1st round pick less than 4 seasons ago. He's only 27 and should have several years of good production. 

In related news, after the Cooper signing the Browns gave Jarvis Landry their OK to seek a trade.

He's got one year left on his deal, which costs the Browns about $15M, he's got a cap hit of almost $16.5M, but the Browns could save $15M of that if they trade or release him. The Browns want him back, but not at that price, they've met with his team to work on a new deal but no progress so far. 

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/03/browns-grant-jarvis-landry-permission-to-seek-a-trade-now-that-amari-cooper-is-on-board-but-theyd-still-like-him-back-at-the-right-price.html

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I love the Cooper signing, both as a Browns fan and a fantasy owner with Cooper as a potential keeper. It cost the Browns almost nothing, just a fifth round pick (likely to be in the bottom half/third of the draft), for a guy that cost a 1st round pick less than 4 seasons ago. He's only 27 and should have several years of good production. 

In related news, after the Cooper signing the Browns gave Jarvis Landry their OK to seek a trade.

He's got one year left on his deal, which costs the Browns about $15M, he's got a cap hit of almost $16.5M, but the Browns could save $15M of that if they trade or release him. The Browns want him back, but not at that price, they've met with his team to work on a new deal but no progress so far. 

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/03/browns-grant-jarvis-landry-permission-to-seek-a-trade-now-that-amari-cooper-is-on-board-but-theyd-still-like-him-back-at-the-right-price.html

Browns releasing Landry.

35 minutes ago, Big John said:

Browns releasing Landry.

Gee that sure happened quick, guess there wasn't much trade interest. Or is there some kind of league deadline requiring him to be released today to avoid some portion of the cap? 

Thanks for the memories Juice. 

5 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Gee that sure happened quick, guess there wasn't much trade interest. Or is there some kind of league deadline requiring him to be released today to avoid some portion of the cap? 

Thanks for the memories Juice. 

Do you think they try to resign him at a lower number? He's Mayfield's go to, they are familiar with each other. I figured the initial intent was to pair Cooper & Landry. 

17 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Do you think they try to resign him at a lower number? He's Mayfield's go to, they are familiar with each other. I figured the initial intent was to pair Cooper & Landry. 

I think the Browns would like to sign him, not sure that Landry would accept their offer unless it were the only one. He seems to have some issues with management, related to him playing before healing, OBJ leaving, etc. 

21 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

hearing talk about deshaun watson to cleveland

Maybe

FYI   Mary Kay Cabot of the Plain Dealer/Cleveland.com may be the Browns beat writer but her stories belong in the National Enquirer. Far too much drama and non-sports spin. I forget where I was reading it but another Cleveland sports guy was saying the Browns really don't have the resources, nor would it be wise to take on Watson's massive contract. But I did read the article and she makes some good points about preparing to have a player with a troubled past on the team.

I don't think its wise to start considering the trade of other key pieces of the team, like the article mentions Denzel Ward. Same would apply to Garret, Chubb and most of the OL. 

The biggest thing in all this, Watson has a no trade clause, would he see the Browns as a good home? Is the team strong enough to contend? Does he fit with coaches and teammates? Can we be a contender? Does he want to live in CLE at least part time? 

Also while the signing of Kareem Hunt came with some backlash, it was nothing compared to what Watson brings. (IMHO)