[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Matty Ice to Colts

darin3

Love it.  Just as I was happy for Stafford last year, to a slightly lesser extent I'm happy for Ryan here.  Not that ATL can be compared to DET, in terms of how bad they've been, but they (ATL) were clearly going nowhere anytime soon, in terms of being competitive.  I don't think the Colts are quite the same as the Rams, in terms of being ready to contend for a SB, but they're a heck of a lot closer than ATL was/is.  And, as much as I was pulling for Wentz last season, in watching him I saw some absolutely brutal mistakes.  Ryan is definitely a major upgrade on a team that has most of the other pieces it needs to be, at the very least, a playoff contender.  

Lastly, if J. Taylor wasn't the consensus #1 pick next year before, he certainly should be now.  Adding a legit passer like Ryan just made his job a lot easier.  

11 minutes ago, TripleW64 said:

I don't think I have ever seen this many starting QBs move around (minus retirements) in one off-season. And more still to come.

I feel like Brady and Stafford started something. Two QBs go to new franchises and win the Superbowl. This might become like the NBA as teams try to build super teams. 

4 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

Baker to Seattle for what pick? 4th?

I don't think there's enough demand for Cleveland to ask for much?

His value to Cleveland just fell off a cliff and so did Jimmy G's. Seattle can pit the two against each other now.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LordOpie said:

I forgot about Jimmy.good point

Any other team buying a qb? And if Seattle can't work a great deal, they could bring in Andy dalton

I don't think anyone else is looking for a starter and nobody is going to pay a high pick for a backup QB.

11 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

And if you think the Falcons are going to sign some pieces to put around Mariota, apparently they have set the NFL record for dead money in a single season. $40.525 million.

Falcons to incur RECORD-BREAKING dead cap from Matt Ryan trade - SportsTalkATL.com

I think it's clear at this point the Falcons are in a tank for Bryce Young (or whichever QB jumps up the draft rankings for next season) mode and positioning themselves to have quite a bit of room to play with next season.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Big Country said:

I think it's clear at this point the Falcons are in a tank for Bryce Young (or whichever QB jumps up the draft rankings for next season) mode and positioning themselves to have quite a bit of room to play with next season.

Or we see 3 qb's go in the top 10 now

38 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

Or we see 3 qb's go in the top 10 now

It's possible, but man, unless you really think one of the QBs this year is significantly better than what you can likely get next year, it seems like this is the year to not take an early QB in the draft, load up on the guys in the trenches so that when you draft your potential stud QB next year he has some protection there, and then use your cap dollars next year to try and convince at least one of the Tyreek Hill / DK Metcalf / AJ Brown, the big name pending free agent WRs, to come to Atlanta. Hill is unlikely as one would assume he's happy in KC with Mahomes throwing to him, but I think a year of Drew Lock could see Metcalf willing to relocate, not sure about Brown but it's possible he'd move.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rajncajn said:

His value to Cleveland just fell off a cliff and so did Jimmy G's. Seattle can pit the two against each other now.

Cleveland front office with cartons of eggs on their faces. Baker counts almost $19M against the salary cap, if they cannot find a trade partner they're going to eat that. Not sure about their current cap space, Spotrac.com shows about $22M available. But they only have 59 players signed, many teams on the list have 10-15 even 20 more players signed. And they still need to sign any players they draft. 

They made a desperation move to get Watson after freaking out when Baker got mad. Now they'll end up having to take a lowball offer, when they had been looking for a first round pick. 

As for possible landing spots, aren't the Panthers still looking for a new starting QB? In addition to Seahawks, but that's it. 

7 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Cleveland front office with cartons of eggs on their faces. Baker counts almost $19M against the salary cap, if they cannot find a trade partner they're going to eat that. Not sure about their current cap space, Spotrac.com shows about $22M available. But they only have 59 players signed, many teams on the list have 10-15 even 20 more players signed. And they still need to sign any players they draft. 

They made a desperation move to get Watson after freaking out when Baker got mad. Now they'll end up having to take a lowball offer, when they had been looking for a first round pick. 

As for possible landing spots, aren't the Panthers still looking for a new starting QB? In addition to Seahawks, but that's it. 

I bet they still get at least a 2 for Mayfield. The Falcons got a 3 for Matty Ice. 

54 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I bet they still get at least a 2 for Mayfield. The Falcons got a 3 for Matty Ice. 

I think a 2 is possible,  but I'm pretty certain they were hoping to get a 1st back since they gave up every one they had to give for Watson.

Edited by rajncajn

Honest question, great move for Ryan but I didn't watch any of him last year, does he still have something left?  Great o-line and running game will certainly help his cause. 

1 hour ago, rajncajn said:

I think a 2 is possible,  but I'm pretty certain they were hoping to get a 1st back since they gave up every one they had to give for Watson.

Yes they definitely wanted/needed a first round pick, with the limited market and that hefty contract (salary cap hit of $19M) they may not even get a 2nd. According to a recent SI article the Browns are still looking for a 1st, while SF is looking for two 2nds for Jimmy G.

Maybe some team with an old QB ready to retire like TB will work out a deal with the Browns eating a big portion of the cap. Browns really have no choice, unless they're going to keep Mayfield and have him start while Watson is suspended, then look to trade during the season when injuries hit. But waiting until after June 1 means they take the full $19M salary cap hit. If there is no trade partner before June 1 it becomes a choice, eat the salary as well as the cap hit? And deal with the headaches? Or cut him.