[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Winston back with the Saints

rajncajn

Even though they've signed him for 2 years if the Saints take a QB in the draft, either Pickett or Willis, that doesn't bode well for Winston's future with the Saints. If they don't draft a QB Winston is still gonna have to show he deserves the job. Smart on their part to only give him a 2 year deal. That being said I think they do go after a QB with their 1st round pick and the writing will be on the wall for Winston's time in New Orleans.

3 hours ago, Docniner said:

Even though they've signed him for 2 years if the Saints take a QB in the draft, either Pickett or Willis, that doesn't bode well for Winston's future with the Saints. If they don't draft a QB Winston is still gonna have to show he deserves the job. Smart on their part to only give him a 2 year deal. That being said I think they do go after a QB with their 1st round pick and the writing will be on the wall for Winston's time in New Orleans.

I think they will go after a tackle unless they totally fall for a particular QB, which I just don't really see. I could see them taking a WR as well. 

17 hours ago, Docniner said:

They're not going for one of the higher-end QBs in this draft.  Maybe they draft a developmental guy later in the draft but this isn't the draft to go and reach for a QB in the first couple of rounds.  They will look to add elsewhere and perhaps next year they go after their next franchise QB, especially if Winston falters.

On 3/25/2022 at 1:52 PM, darin3 said:

They're not going for one of the higher-end QBs in this draft.  Maybe they draft a developmental guy later in the draft but this isn't the draft to go and reach for a QB in the first couple of rounds.  They will look to add elsewhere and perhaps next year they go after their next franchise QB, especially if Winston falters.

I think you're right. Winston did make strides to get better and protect the ball before he got hurt. I thought the Saints might go for Pickett or Willis with their 1st rounder but there's no real.clear cut franchise QB in this.QB class. As said they may take a QB later to try and develop. Yet Winston only has a 2 year contract so if he doesn't show them something this year the Saints will surely look for a QB in next years' draft or another vet if available.

An interesting note I heard on a local podcast this weekend. Apparently the Colts were set to sign Winston had the Saints landed Watson, but the Saints being Winston's first choice he stayed with them instead and the Colts then went for Matt Ryan.

5 hours ago, rajncajn said:

An interesting note I heard on a local podcast this weekend. Apparently the Colts were set to sign Winston had the Saints landed Watson, but the Saints being Winston's first choice he stayed with them instead and the Colts then went for Matt Ryan.

Any good talk about the expectations of Winston & MT (health provided) in those locals?

Them two have been aching to play with each other. Now that they will both be healthy I see them blowing up some defenses. Winston was just interviewed on the saints facebook and he mentioned how playing with MT was the biggest thing he is looking forward toward. Three sleepers to look out for is Jwaun, Callaway, and Harty. Thomas will help get the heat off them.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Def. said:

Any good talk about the expectations of Winston & MT (health provided) in those locals?

17 minutes ago, CrazyCajun said:

Them two have been aching to play with each other. Now that they will both be healthy I see them blowing up some defenses. Winston was just interviewed on the saints facebook and he mentioned how playing with MT was the biggest thing he is looking forward toward. Three sleepers to look out for is Jwaun, Callaway, and Harty. Thomas will help get the heat off them.

Pretty much this. There had been talk about how MT & Winston felt about each other & that talk really got shut down pretty quickly. They both seem to be excited about it. I'm not sure if my outlook is as optimistic as Crazy Cajun here, but I think they will exceed expectations. I think the Saints REALLY need to address the tackle position though because I don't see Winston as mobile as he has been in the past & he's going to need time in the pocket to limit mistakes. We could really use another WR as well. Either someone to push Thomas or someone who really can compliment him and who can fit well early with Winston. Harty is really our best WR behind MT, but at his size and Winston's tendency to be off target at times it's really going to be an issue if we have to rely on him heavily. I've soured quite a bit on Callaway. I know I pumped him up last offseason, but he had a prime opportunity last year and just couldn't produce as a WR1. Maybe he fits better as a WR2 & comes on strong, but I don't have the confidence that MT will return to what he was before the injury and, again, that's going to cause some real problems if so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Pretty much this. There had been talk about how MT & Winston felt about each other & that talk really got shut down pretty quickly. They both seem to be excited about it. I'm not sure if my outlook is as optimistic as Crazy Cajun here, but I think they will exceed expectations. I think the Saints REALLY need to address the tackle position though because I don't see Winston as mobile as he has been in the past & he's going to need time in the pocket to limit mistakes. We could really use another WR as well. Either someone to push Thomas or someone who really can compliment him and who can fit well early with Winston. Harty is really our best WR behind MT, but at his size and Winston's tendency to be off target at times it's really going to be an issue if we have to rely on him heavily. I've soured quite a bit on Callaway. I know I pumped him up last offseason, but he had a prime opportunity last year and just couldn't produce as a WR1. Maybe he fits better as a WR2 & comes on strong, but I don't have the confidence that MT will return to what he was before the injury and, again, that's going to cause some real problems if so.

Im hoping Callaway emerges this season with less heat on him since MT is back. He showed flashes of being a phenomenal No. 2. Just wish he could of done more last year. I know its hard working with 4 different Qbs all season. Hopefully he will do better when he can dedicate to just Winston. Also, we only need Harty for the bombs that Winston is very good at. If they can stay in a rhythm with him throwing those intermediate passes he can come in and catch the defense off guard with a bomb down the field. Winston is only a few season removed from 5k yards. He can still do it. I have high hopes for this offense. Pete is very good coordinator. 

• Like 1