[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kyler Murray not expected to play for Cardinals without new contract

League_Champion

5 minutes ago, Finn5033 said:

You could obviously tell he wasn’t right last year and had played pretty well in previous seasons, so I am surprised that there hasn’t been more interest in him. To me any team that is looking for a QB should be on the phone seeing what it would take to get Baker. Everyone knows Cleveland has moved on from him so I can’t imagine it would take much to get him. All they have to do is commit to 20mil for this season which is nothing for a starting QB these days. If it doesn’t work out you’re free and clear financially. You’re going to get his absolute best effort since it’s a contract year and he has a lot to prove.

I think clearly the lack of interest is about more than his play, or he would already be on another team

There are several reasons for the limited interest, in no particular order. First you have the injury, and will he be back to what he was after rehab? Yes it was the non-throwing shoulder, but that clearly impacted his play in many ways, if not back to 100% could still impact him. Second you have his big contract, the large salary (both actual money and cap hit) and the Browns wanting a good pick in return. There is already a lot of speculation the Browns will need to eat a large portion of that salary to trade him, maybe as much as half the almost $19M. Third you have his attitude, another one of the younger QBs who likes to use social media to communicate with the world. Claims by somebody (with the team, or who had the ear of some NFL reporter) that he is immature. I rooted for him for 4 years and could still get annoyed at some of his way of doing things, let alone the many commercials (possibly in higher volume in CLE).  And after 2022, he will need a new contract, if he is the guy leading your team and you want him there in the future when will you take care of that, or risk him being a free agent if he has a good season. 

I would hope most GMs are not like some who post here and label him a bust, based almost entirely on an injury plagued season. 

17 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I would hope most GMs are not like some who post here and label him a bust, based almost entirely on an injury plagued season

Or maybe NFL GMs, coaches and scouts are smart enough to see with their own 2 eyes that HE CAN'T PLAY! 

WAKE UP STEVEN, HE'D HAVE A JOB RIGHT NOW IF ANYONE THOUGHT HE WAS MORE TALENTED THAN SAM DARNOLD. 

36 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Or maybe NFL GMs, coaches and scouts are smart enough to see with their own 2 eyes that HE CAN'T PLAY! 

WAKE UP STEVEN, HE'D HAVE A JOB RIGHT NOW IF ANYONE THOUGHT HE WAS MORE TALENTED THAN SAM DARNOLD. 

Not saying it will, but boy oh boy will you be eating some crow if Baker goes somewhere and plays well.

8 minutes ago, irish said:

Not saying it will, but boy oh boy will you be eating some crow if Baker goes somewhere and plays well.

And I certainly would take it. If he's so good why doesn't he have a job right now? Honestly, why is everyone in love with Baker Mayfield? Is it the commercials, he's funny, feisty, what is it? Because if you watched football for any period of time you can see he just doesn't have it. And GMs around the league obviously agree. 

8 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

And I certainly would take it. If he's so good why doesn't he have a job right now? Honestly, why is everyone in love with Baker Mayfield? Is it the commercials, he's funny, feisty, what is it? Because if you watched football for any period of time you can see he just doesn't have it. And GMs around the league obviously agree. 

Just playing devil's advocate here....... maybe, timing?  Close to the draft where there's a couple/few QBs that are fairly pro-ready.  What's Baker's contract like?  Maybe he's come across as too brash for some?  I think he can still be a fairly average to slightly-better-than-average NFL QB.  They are hard to come by.  He has some good traits.  If Carolina weren't eyeing Pickett I'd say he could go there.  I think Seattle was a thought, but I think they have their eyes on Willis.  I don't know how they'll get him but they'll get creative somehow.

Anyways.  I think he's far from "sucking".  I think it's just bad timing and maybe a couple other minor flaws.  We'll see what happens.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I don’t understand why you think everyone is in love with him? Nobody on here has said that. Most of us just don’t think he’s nearly as bad as you seem to think he is. He had a terrible season last year but that wasn’t all his fault.

Edited by Finn5033
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Anyways.  I think he's far from "sucking".  I think it's just bad timing and maybe a couple other minor flaws.  We'll see what happens

When I say he "sucks" I'm more or less busting Steve's balls, he's average. I've said it before, he should definitely have a job right now. But it is concerning that nobody has made a run at him. Don't you find that odd to? 

5 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

When I say he "sucks" I'm more or less busting Steve's balls, he's average. I've said it before, he should definitely have a job right now. But it is concerning that nobody has made a run at him. Don't you find that odd to? 

Agreed, I do find it odd that he hasn’t had more interest. But I’m kind of leaning in the direction of what Darin said. I think teams are waiting to see what happens in the draft. Cleveland has no leverage at all. They aren’t going to keep him around and they are stuck having to pay him and take the cap hit regardless. Maybe teams are waiting it out cause they think they can get him really cheap

Edited by Finn5033

3 minutes ago, Finn5033 said:

Agreed, I do find it odd that he hasn’t had more interest. But I’m kind of leaning in the direction of what Darin said. I think teams are waiting to see what happens in the draft. Cleveland has no leverage at all. They aren’t going to keep him around and they are stuck having to pay him and take the cap hit regardless. Maybe teams are waiting it out cause they think they can get him really cheap

Maybe, but what's it going to cost at this point? Probably not much if anything. Cleveland just needs him off the books and if he's worth a damn, what's a 3rd round pick for a starting QB? If I'm Seattle or Carolina I'd be kicking the tires for sure. 

6 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Maybe, but what's it going to cost at this point? Probably not much if anything. Cleveland just needs him off the books and if he's worth a damn, what's a 3rd round pick for a starting QB? If I'm Seattle or Carolina I'd be kicking the tires for sure. 

Exactly

6 hours ago, Finn5033 said:

You certainly have that right. Currently they have a guy who will become locker room cancer unless they can get rid of him. Their leverage is that somebody likes him enough

3 hours ago, purplemonster said:

Well at least the perception anyway. I don't know to what degree teams are aware of other teams pursuing a player or what the offers are? It seems like sometimes they know and other times they don't. 

Is he more of a cancer than we ever know? There has to be something we don't see. 

I think teams are hoping Cleveland waives him, they eat the 19 million and then you might have 2-3 teams looking to get him on a 10-12 million a yr contract. Obviously eating his salary is easier done prior to free agency, when teams have the most money, anyone released 2-3 weeks in doesn't get the benefit of a full market to work from.

19 hours ago, Finn5033 said:

I don’t understand why you think everyone is in love with him? Nobody on here has said that. Most of us just don’t think he’s nearly as bad as you seem to think he is. He had a terrible season last year but that wasn’t all his fault.

He's just trolling me, and I'm not taking his stinky bait anymore. Nobody is as good or bad as LC makes them out to be, he has no middle ground, and is all hot takes and hyperbole. 

Regarding Baker's cap hit, I think I was reading it wrong and posted incorrect info, they can only avoid the dead cap by trading him, regardless of when that happens. I thought it was if he was traded or released before June 1. I don't think the Browns care much about the actual payment to him, compared to salary cap. They will have to be willing to pay a portion of the salary, in order to trade him. (Not sure how that process relates to the salary cap, if the Browns pay $10M of his 2022 salary in a trade is that $10M in cap also?)

https://overthecap.com/player/baker-mayfield/6886/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/baker-mayfield-25096/

On 4/19/2022 at 4:47 PM, League_Champion said:

You forgot that Cleveland was STACKED. He was also the #1 pick.

To be fair,  a lot of much lesser QBs than Mayfield have won championships. They didn't lose because of just him. He's a decent QB, just not a consistent game changer.

3 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

The question was is he a bust as a number one pick? He didn't even make it to a second contract. 

Honestly. Nearly all QBs taken early are "busts" by the same standards. If you figure the value he brought to the team in terms outside of sheer stats then I still think the jury is open. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

The question was is he a bust as a number one pick? He didn't even make it to a second contract. 

I think he just needs better scene. If Jamies wouldn't of came back to the Saints or fails this year I wouldn't mind Baker coming to the Saints. A QB can thrive in that offense with all the talent around him. But, he needs to be healthy. 

In case anybody wants to get back on topic...

Cards GM Steve Keim has one again said that Murray will not be traded. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33780924/gm-steve-keim-says-there-zero-chance-arizona-cardinals-trade-kyler-murray

Because you're never going to convince LC that he's wrong about Baker (or anything else really).

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Because you're never going to convince LC that he's wrong about Baker (or anything else really).

Because I'm not wrong about Baker and the fact that the Browns have completely given up on him and he can't even get a job cleaning bathrooms in the NFL proves my point. How can anyone argue facts?? He's a first overall pick that has essentially been released and can't find a job yet Sam Darnold has one. That's the definition of BUST. Your love affair for Baker is concerning. 

• Like 1

By the time Cleveland was open to trading Baker, the QB musical chairs had largely stopped and the market all but dried up.  

Sam Darnold Career 59.8% Completion, 10, 624 yards, 54 TDs, 52 INTs, 76.9 QBR

Baker Mayfield Career 61.6% Completion, 14, 125 yards, 92 TDs, 56 INTs, 87.8 QBR