[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Computer issue

devilwoman

Ok, if anyone can provide some guidance on this issue it would be appreciated.  My spouse bought me a new computer...:yay:It is a dell Inspiron 7386.  About 3 years ago or less I bought her a dell as well, set up her computer created a Microsoft account put it under my email address and created a pin for the computer(as she is not as computer savvy as I am and I'm not that savvy...just saying.  So I also set my new one up.  I followed the prompts and put in the information asked for.  When I was done with the prompts and I looked at the screen, it had the same desktop as my spouse's laptop with her files....WTF??  That is not what I had intended AT ALLL!!  So I want my own desktop for all MY stuff, how do I unlink my laptop from her desktop?  Or just create a new desktop for Me on my new computer.  And let me tell you I have tried alot of things already.  Tried creating a new Microsoft account...didnt work, tried to unlink my new computer from my Microsoft account, didnt work.  Tried to create a new pin for mine but doing that also changed the pin for my spouses laptop.  Let me just say also I hate windows 10 and or 11 so far....again just saying.  So any thoughts on how to unlink the two desktops would be appreciated.  

Side note*  I use to think getting a new computer was fun....that boat ride is long gone now!! :sad:

Edited by devilwoman

it does....it shows both laptops.  I tried unlinking mine but it didn't help or solve anything...I didn't unlink her laptop thinking it may do something to hers that will land me in the dog house....do you think that may be the issue?  The unlinking of hers...not the dog house comment.   And if I do unlink hers will it cause her files to be corrupted or disabled in anyway?  I am assuming Microsoft cloud is part of this Microsoft account for both of us...just a thought

Edited by devilwoman

4 minutes ago, devilwoman said:

it does....it shows both laptops.  I tried unlinking mine but it didn't help or solve anything...I didn't unlink her laptop thinking it may do something to hers that will land me in the dog house....do you think that may be the issue?  The unlinking of hers...not the dog house comment.

I had a similar issue. You'll definitely have to start on the first computer, the master. Once you unlink that one you should be fine. 

1 minute ago, League_Champion said:

I had a similar issue. You'll definitely have to start on the first computer, the master. Once you unlink that one you should be fine. 

ok...will give it a try...restarting it now...we will see what comes up...

12 minutes ago, devilwoman said:

ok...will give it a try...restarting it now...we will see what comes up...

no change....my computer still showing her desktop and her files on my laptop screen.

ok my bad...I did that from my laptop...her laptop has windows 11 and clicking on account...there is neither of our laptops showing.

Edited by devilwoman

Ok I have removed both laptops from my computer in the accounts section.  Will continue to see if I can find this in windows 11 on her computer.  In the mean time was wondering since I am set up as Administrator in both (because I set them both up) I wonder if removing me as Administrator in hers would matter?  Any thoughts on that?

5 minutes ago, devilwoman said:

Ok I have removed both laptops from my computer in the accounts section.  Will continue to see if I can find this in windows 11 on her computer.  In the mean time was wondering since I am set up as Administrator in both (because I set them both up) I wonder if removing me as Administrator in hers would matter?  Any thoughts on that?

If you delete files on hers does it delete on both as well? 

35 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Along the same line of thinking. Try adding a file on hers and see if it still adds it on yours as well. You may be now unlinked,  but it just left yours at up like hers was with copies of all the files.

ok figured this f&^%*( mess out.  The issue is the OneDrive where it stores all your files on the cloud.  You have to go into the OneDrive app and unlink both computers and you solve the problem.  Thank you sweet Jesus...

And I will probably link up again the wifes OneDrive to her computer just to see if it is a problem with mine...BUT NOT TODAY!! 

ok tell all your friends!!

Edited by devilwoman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, devilwoman said:

ok figured this f&^%*( mess out.  The issue is the OneDrive where it stores all your files on the cloud.  You have to go into the OneDrive app and unlink both computers and you solve the problem.  Thank you sweet Jesus...

OneDrive is a pain in the butt sometimes.  I have it on my work laptop and it's kind of annoying.  

2 hours ago, League_Champion said:

the answer to that was yes.  But now since I have unlinked both laptops from OneDrive I can create files on either laptop and neither shows the others files.

Once I read the OP I knew it was a OneDrive issue as had the same thing when setting up my wife and kids computers. Once I deactivated the desktop sync it was all good.

I however love having OneDrive - makes it super easy to share files if needed with my wife (especially since I am the tech person), so when she has issues I can jump into the files from my computer, and I can also access any file I need to from my phone.

• Like 1

Computers were easier to use before they started trying to make them easier to use for people who had no computer skills.

I'm glad I have an IT team back at the office to help with issues, sometimes I can even get advice on my personal computer. 

Windows 11....still not willing to do that, every new version of Windows has been less friendly.

4 hours ago, devilwoman said:

thanks...it was a pain...let me tell you!  But thank sweet jesus for the internet...seriously!!  So if you run across anyone with that same issue, there is a way, probably not the only way, but it can be fixed.

Even our IT people at work and our developers find lots of interesting solutions on the internet. Too many strange things that happen which nobody has seen before. 

Now you're a PC expert :) 

15 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Even our IT people at work and our developers find lots of interesting solutions on the internet. Too many strange things that happen which nobody has seen before. 

Now you're a PC expert :) 

Thanks, not sure about an expert...just lucky....:lol:

19 hours ago, devilwoman said:

Thanks, not sure about an expert...just lucky....:lol:

Just joking. I'm a software developer, but not anything that runs on a PC. Some friends and family think that makes me a computer expert and ask me lots of questions. Once my sister called in a panic with some issue, when I called back later she tells me "I'm booting from my backup disc and starting to resintall things...." I responded "Great now if I ever have that happen I can call you for help." 

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Just joking. I'm a software developer, but not anything that runs on a PC. Some friends and family think that makes me a computer expert and ask me lots of questions. Once my sister called in a panic with some issue, when I called back later she tells me "I'm booting from my backup disc and starting to resintall things...." I responded "Great now if I ever have that happen I can call you for help."   :rofl: