Talk about something other than politics

rajncajn

We used to have a thread about nothing or something along that lines where we would just talk about general stuff, whether it be something going on in your life or something you saw and thought was interesting. The catch is, no politics whatsoever.

What have you got?

Ok, I've got a topic. 

I have lost 27 lbs. in roughly 4 months just by practicing Intermittent Fasting.  Only eating within a 4 hour window every day, and still eating some garbage.

I still have about 7 or 8 lbs. to go, but I am astonished just how easy it has been.

I highly recommend it for anyone who has even a shred of discipline. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Running With Daboll said:

Good idea.

How about existentialism?

Too heavy???

Ok, how about food? Everybody likes to talk about food...right?

The Tailgate has a sub-forum talking about food and beverages. 

6 minutes ago, Running With Daboll said:

Ok, I've got a topic. 

I have lost 27 lbs. in roughly 4 months just by practicing Intermittent Fasting.  Only eating within a 4 hour window every day, and still eating some garbage.

I still have about 7 or 8 lbs. to go, but I am astonished just how easy it has been.

That’s fantastic! Keep it up and keep it off!

So, I posted in another thread about the issue with my eyes. In short, I had strep a couple weeks ago and then the following Monday developed a nasty eye infection. The problem with that wasn't necessarily the infection, but more the fact that I had to come out of my contacts. Well, when I say I'm blind without them, I mean I'm to the point of I am not allowed to operate a motor vehicle without corrective lenses. You wouldn't know it while I'm wearing contacts, but I am so near-sighted, that without them, my vision begins to blur at about 8-10" from my face. I do have glasses, but I almost never wear them and the prescription I have is about 10 years old. Wearing them is akin to looking through a hazy glass paperweight. On top of that, I have what's called an oblique astigmatism. An astigmatism is basically when your cornea is misshapen like a football. In most people, that football either stands on it's end or stands on it's side. Well, I like being different, so both mine stand at an angle. As a result, no one EVER has my contacts in stock. My best hope if I run out, which I did when I threw the pair I had on with the eye infection in the garbage cuz I thought it might be pink eye, is that someone will have a sample pair that's close to my prescription. Unfortunately for me, when I called the doctor on Friday, desperate to get some contacts, they said they didn't have any and then told me my prescription had expired as well and I would have to get cleared from the infection and then refitted for contacts. All-in-all I was looking at about 1-1/2 to 2 weeks without contacts.

However, as luck would have it, on Sunday the office manager of the eye doctor called me to see if I would reschedule due to their office being hit hard with the flu. I told her about my situation & lo & behold, she found me a pair close to my prescription!

Just now, League_Champion said:

Congratulations! How's your energy? Do you feel a huge difference? 

No bro, but that's because of the Lyme.  What I do feel is less heavy breathing when climbing stairs and stuff.  That was really starting to get me concerned, especially after a tough battle with Covid.

17 minutes ago, Running With Daboll said:

Ok, I've got a topic. 

Awesome, I could stand to lose a few pounds, but I'm not really overweight. More like underused. I'm pretty much within my ideal range, but I slacked off on the exercise before Covid hit and WHEN Covid hit, got into a bad snack habit working from home. The snack habit is easy for me to kick, but having a harder time picking back up the exercise part. What's stupid is that when I start I get obsessed and I know it, so I don't start. :lol:

4 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

So, I posted in another thread about the issue with my eyes. In short, I had strep a couple weeks ago and then the following Monday developed a nasty eye infection. The problem with that wasn't necessarily the infection, but more the fact that I had to come out of my contacts. Well, when I say I'm blind without them, I mean I'm to the point of I am not allowed to operate a motor vehicle without corrective lenses. You wouldn't know it while I'm wearing contacts, but I am so near-sighted, that without them, my vision begins to blur at about 8-10" from my face. I do have glasses, but I almost never wear them and the prescription I have is about 10 years old. Wearing them is akin to looking through a hazy glass paperweight. On top of that, I have what's called an oblique astigmatism. An astigmatism is basically when your cornea is misshapen like a football. In most people, that football either stands on it's end or stands on it's side. Well, I like being different, so both mine stand at an angle. As a result, no one EVER has my contacts in stock. My best hope if I run out, which I did when I threw the pair I had on with the eye infection in the garbage cuz I thought it might be pink eye, is that someone will have a sample pair that's close to my prescription. Unfortunately for me, when I called the doctor on Friday, desperate to get some contacts, they said they didn't have any and then told me my prescription had expired as well and I would have to get cleared from the infection and then refitted for contacts. All-in-all I was looking at about 1-1/2 to 2 weeks without contacts.

However, as luck would have it, on Sunday the office manager of the eye doctor called me to see if I would reschedule due to their office being hit hard with the flu. I told her about my situation & lo & behold, she found me a pair close to my prescription!

Scary not being able to see, terrifying in fact.  Glad it's resolved for you. 

I'm the opposite, I'm far sighted, can't see anything close to me without cheaters. But again, this is a part of the Lyme as well, my vision was fine before I contracted it.  Floaters, blurred vision, migraines...you name it. It's a real blast let me tell you.

1 minute ago, League_Champion said:

Sorry to hear that. Long Covid sucks, especially for those with pre-existing conditions. My neighbor had Covid 2 years ago and still isn't right. 

My heart goes out to anybody with this crap.  Sickest I've ever been in my life, and that's on top of the Lyme. 

My wife, a nurse, was a nanosecond from calling the EMT's, because I refused to go to the hospital on my own, and my oxygen saturation was down to 86%.

I convinced her not to and toughed it out. Slowly, and I mean slowly, I started to come out of it.  This was February through April, finally got my sense of smell and taste fully back a couple of months ago. 

That's another reason why I was motivated to lose the weight. 

Just now, Running With Daboll said:

Scary not being able to see, terrifying in fact.  Glad it's resolved for you. 

I'm the opposite, I'm far sighted, can't see anything close to me without cheaters. But again, this is a part of the Lyme as well, my vision was fine before I contracted it.  Floaters, blurred vision, migraines...you name it. It's a real blast let me tell you.

Man that does suck. Glad that you're working to fight it though.

On my near vision, it's weird because I see fantastic close up. In fact, my doctor told me that I'm one of the best he's ever seen in that regard. My trade off is that with my contacts in it's not quite as good and when my eyes are fatigued I sometimes even need readers. But I much prefer that over the alternative.

Just now, rajncajn said:

Man that does suck. Glad that you're working to fight it though.

On my near vision, it's weird because I see fantastic close up. In fact, my doctor told me that I'm one of the best he's ever seen in that regard. My trade off is that with my contacts in it's not quite as good and when my eyes are fatigued I sometimes even need readers. But I much prefer that over the alternative.

I read somewhere that of the two, it's better to be nearsighted.  I don't recall why, but if true, at least you have that going for you. 

8 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Awesome, I could stand to lose a few pounds, but I'm not really overweight. More like underused. I'm pretty much within my ideal range, but I slacked off on the exercise before Covid hit and WHEN Covid hit, got into a bad snack habit working from home. The snack habit is easy for me to kick, but having a harder time picking back up the exercise part. What's stupid is that when I start I get obsessed and I know it, so I don't start. :lol:

Yeah, but as obsessions go, that's one you can live with. 

20 minutes ago, Running With Daboll said:

I read somewhere that of the two, it's better to be nearsighted.  I don't recall why, but if true, at least you have that going for you. 

I think that maybe because you can have corrective surgery for it. I've tried it, but my astigmatism means I have to be out of my contacts for a long period to allow my corneas to settle. I went nearly a year waiting and finally had to give it up for work reasons. I've also read that people with my type of astigmatism tend to have more issues after surgery and frankly that scares me more than just running out of contacts.

11 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

I think that maybe because you can have corrective surgery for it. I've tried it, but my astigmatism means I have to be out of my contacts for a long period to allow my corneas to settle. I went nearly a year waiting and finally had to give it up for work reasons. I've also read that people with my type of astigmatism tend to have more issues after surgery and frankly that scares me more than just running out of contacts.

The knife, or some variation of it, is always the last resort, at least for me it is. I dont blame you. 

Edited by Running With Daboll

rajn

First on your your contact issue - that really sucks, I've been near sighted since about 12 years old. I've had a few instances where I had issues with a broken pair of glasses and the older pair not being good enough. I never tried contacts. Not sure if the issue getting replacement contacts would normally be this bad, or impacted by current supply chain issues. One thing you might consider is getting a pair of new glasses every 5-10 years (most people's eye change less later in life so may not need as frequent) so you have them around when you need them. My brother who is also nearsighted tells me a story of losing his glasses once on a a motorcycle road in the mountains outside Los Angeles. He had to resort to wearing his tinted glasses, as the sun went down, riding down a twisting road.

Now on to losing weight, I've seen your picture (you posted one fishing) you don't need to lose weight, you're pretty skinny. Not maybe you need more tone and getting exercise, but based on what you've posted at times I suspect you're a very busy and active guy compared to myself. 

Now for me...

eyes and glassses - one thing I've learned is as I've aged wearing my distance vision glasses has made it harder to read things. Computer and similar screens not so much, due to the light and contrasts. But any print material, especially news paper, magazines or most things on my phone. It got to the point now where most of the work day (office job at home on the computer all day) I don't wear my glasses. Same goes for while I'm cooking or doing dishes. So usually I'm wearing glasses just for a few hours during the evening when I watch TV, or if I'm driving somewhere, or go out to walk etc. Luckily my eye doctor told me she doesn't think I'll ever need readers. Yet they keep trying to get me to get bifocals, where the reader portion would be a +0. No thanks, I want full distance vision when needed, and just go without glasses otherwise.

Weight and exercise - I've always been overweight since my teen years. I remember being skin and bones before that, some of my siblings were the same. I'm at a better weight now than I was 10-15 years ago or more. I check it more regularly to make sure its not making wild swings. I am also trying to eat better and get more exercise, since I sit at a desk all day, and like to watch TV at night. Even in winter I try to get outside for a walk/hike if not too cold or snowy, along with the gym 2-3 times a week. Ever since I had some sciatica in my back I do lots of stretching and such to help with that and some weights to add some tone. Not a gym rat, just trying to keep up a level of activity. 

doctors - I've never gone much, trying to change that as I approach 60 (58 later this month). I had my first major health scare a few years ago, a couple days in the hospital with an infection caused by some diverticulitis and related leaking in my gut. I swore I would do more then, did follow up some but not a lot and am now finally working on that more so that I can still enjoy the rest of whatever time I have left. 

mental health - like many the pandemic took its toll, for me the biggest factor was going from work in an office to working from home. I'm single, live alone and miss a lot of that human contact I was getting during the 40+ hours a week in office. (Now 34 years with that company, and many co-workers with long time in the company as well, friends not just co-workers.) That is better now, as more things have returned to normal, but I still miss it and can get depressed easily just sitting here by myself. It becomes imperative that I leave the house every day for a while in the evening, if not the gym then a walk/hike or some shopping or time visiting friends and family. 

So, as some of you know, I'm a special education teacher for the past 23 years. I've spent the last 5 years working with a really nice guy, who loves to teach math but can't manage a classroom to save his life.  So, that got left to me, that's all good, but on top of my SE responsibilities, it's tough managing all of his job responsibilities as well. Well, he retired in June and I'm now working with a lady I worked with 10 years ago and we were a great combo. She can manage a class pretty well and I figured I'd have an easier year. Well, boy was I wrong!  On top of my normal tough load of SE kids, they throw an ESL (English as a second language) kid in my room with zero support, which they're not supposed to do.  And then the husband of the lady I'm now working with gets diagnosed with adrenal gland cancer which spread to his lungs. He went for one round of chemo and within a week, he passed away (this past weekend). I've been working the last month, by myself and being absolutely heart-broken for this lady. She was supposed to retire in the next 2 years and move to Florida with her husband, where they planned and loved to be.

Meanwhile, the principal of my school for the last 17 years retired in June as well and we had to get a new one. Well, the new one comes rolling in but can't start til October because of a prior contract elsewhere. Once she comes over, she's a tyrant and is constantly trying to make a name for herself, forcing us to do pointless activities. Then, her husband has kidney problems, followed by a stroke, followed by them finding a hole in his heart, which she needs to take time off to manage. She comes back only to have her father suffer a stroke, and as it was, he was the main care-taker for his wife who had dementia. She comes back and her uncle dies. 

Been a really rough start to this school year. 

17 minutes ago, irish said:

So, as some of you know, I'm a special education teacher for the past 23 years. I've spent the last 5 years working with a really nice guy, who loves to teach math but can't manage a classroom to save his life.  So, that got left to me, that's all good, but on top of my SE responsibilities, it's tough managing all of his job responsibilities as well. Well, he retired in June and I'm now working with a lady I worked with 10 years ago and we were a great combo. She can manage a class pretty well and I figured I'd have an easier year. Well, boy was I wrong!  On top of my normal tough load of SE kids, they throw an ESL (English as a second language) kid in my room with zero support, which they're not supposed to do.  And then the husband of the lady I'm now working with gets diagnosed with adrenal gland cancer which spread to his lungs. He went for one round of chemo and within a week, he passed away (this past weekend). I've been working the last month, by myself and being absolutely heart-broken for this lady. She was supposed to retire in the next 2 years and move to Florida with her husband, where they planned and loved to be.

Meanwhile, the principal of my school for the last 17 years retired in June as well and we had to get a new one. Well, the new one comes rolling in but can't start til October because of a prior contract elsewhere. Once she comes over, she's a tyrant and is constantly trying to make a name for herself, forcing us to do pointless activities. Then, her husband has kidney problems, followed by a stroke, followed by them finding a hole in his heart, which she needs to take time off to manage. She comes back only to have her father suffer a stroke, and as it was, he was the main care-taker for his wife who had dementia. She comes back and her uncle dies. 

Wow that's tough for sure. 

My sister was a teacher for many years, working in pre-K kids in head start programs. She loved it for a long time, then as more of the administrators turned over and younger people came in she was never good enough for them, but they loved to toss all the problem kids at her since she was able to deal with them. Eventually she had enough and left, worked a few different office type jobs for maybe 8 years before she retired during COVID.

44 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Wow that's tough for sure. 

My sister was a teacher for many years, working in pre-K kids in head start programs. She loved it for a long time, then as more of the administrators turned over and younger people came in she was never good enough for them, but they loved to toss all the problem kids at her since she was able to deal with them. Eventually she had enough and left, worked a few different office type jobs for maybe 8 years before she retired during COVID.

Truly is a thankless job. We're all just meaningless numbers that are so easily replaced. 

Edited by irish

1 hour ago, irish said:

Ah man.  That... that all just really sucks.  Sucks for them.  Sucks less but still sucks for you.  Might even suck for the kids, if you arent able to be as efficient.