[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL coaching carousel 2023 edition

stevegrab

Figured a separate thread is better as more are fired and the searches start, 

After week 18

Texans - HC Lovie Smith (2nd one-and-done HC for them)

Browns - DC Joe Woods 

already let go before then

Broncos - HC Nathaniel Hackett (another one and done)

Colts - HC Frank Reich

Panthers - HC Matt Ruhle

I dont think Dennis Allen will be fired. I think they will give him another year since Saints are letting Payton talk to other teams. We need the draft picks. I think OC Pete Carmichael will get the boot. Our defense has been solid which is DA's section but our offense has been the problem all season with a bunch of talent. So I for see Pete getting the boot. 

18 minutes ago, darin3 said:

That's a little surprising actually.  Murray was hurt most of the year, D-Hop was out the first 6 games....

Well Murray is probably not going to be 100% next year, so maybe its a good time to move on from his coach. But yes surprising considering all they invested in coach, QB and GM. 

Story I read on Pro Football Talk adds this about GM 

While Keim is currently on a medical leave of absence, the Cardinals are also not expected to retain him as G.M.

13 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Well Murray is probably not going to be 100% next year, so maybe its a good time to move on from his coach. But yes surprising considering all they invested in coach, QB and GM. 

Story I read on Pro Football Talk adds this about GM 

While Keim is currently on a medical leave of absence, the Cardinals are also not expected to retain him as G.M.

I think the public humiliation (Hard Knocks In Season) most definitely factored greatly into this decision.

It's one thing having a losing season, but having a losing season with all of the warts visible takes it to another level.

Kingsbury is a good man, but he appears to lack some of those intangible qualities that makes someone a great coach. 

15 minutes ago, Running With Daboll said:

I think the public humiliation (Hard Knocks In Season) most definitely factored greatly into this decision.

It's one thing having a losing season, but having a losing season with all of the warts visible takes it to another level.

Kingsbury is a good man, but he appears to lack some of those intangible qualities that makes someone a great coach. 

Maybe better suited as an OC for a few years before jumping back into the HC role.

Interesting nugget of info, since the merger in 1970 only one other team has fired head coaches after just one season in two consecutive years, no it wasn't the Browns. The SF 49ers , multiple times (3 consecutive 1976-78 (before Walsh) and 2 more 2015-16 (before Shanny). 

50 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

The Texans will be getting a good young QB in this year's draft, I bet that's something that would excite Payton. 

Obviously I'd prefer if Payton came back to NOLA, but realistically I think the Texans are an ideal situation for everyone with the number of draft picks they have. I'd love to see 1.12 & 2.2 come our way, but I'm still skeptical on the 1st round pick or the multiple picks talk. I think if Jeff Ireland stays then we'd do a decent job with the picks we get. But there's been talk of Ireland & the OC, Pete Carmichael going wherever Payton ends up.

Browns have interviewed Jim Schwartz for DC, and wanted to talk to Brian Flores but I think they decided to skip or wait, as there was word he was signing a new contract with PIT that would give him a new title making this more of a lateral move. Now I see that the Cards have asked to interview him for HC. 

The other interesting item I saw was former Colts and Lions HC Jim Caldwell was considered for the WAS OC job, but he said no thanks he wants to be a HC again and apparently there is some interest (DEN). 

What's a playoff weekend without some coaching carousel talk. 

16 hours ago, darin3 said:

That seems quick, figured the way he worded it and "taking the appropriate time" it would at least be sometime next week. 

Hopefully they can be more competitive next year, SF sure will be and SEA is making strides, while AZ will be off with Murray's rehab from injury.