[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL coaching carousel 2023 edition

stevegrab

2 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Could Payton and Jerrah coexist? Jerrah would probably have to back off a bit if Payton was the coach. 

Good question. Payton isn't the YES man that Jones is accustomed to, so there could be friction. But the Cowboys have been Super Bowl starved for nearly 3 decades now, I would bet that even that old control freak would acquiesce to Payton, if it meant bringing another championship. 

6 minutes ago, Running With Daboll said:

Good question. Payton isn't the YES man that Jones is accustomed to, so there could be friction. But the Cowboys have been Super Bowl starved for nearly 3 decades now, I would bet that even that old control freak would acquiesce to Payton, if it meant bringing another championship. 

The Chargers seem like a dream job for Payton though. Elite young QB, great roster, etc. I'd almost be shocked if he doesn't end up there after last night. 

Could Payton and Jerrah coexist? Jerrah would probably have to back off a bit if Payton was the coach. 

I don't see it, he'd have to let Peyton have more control than most of the past HCs. And Peyton won't put up with any crap. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

The Chargers seem like a dream job for Payton though. Elite young QB, great roster, etc. I'd almost be shocked if he doesn't end up there after last night. 

Agree, it is a dream job, and Staley should have been fired when Mike Williams was declared out for the game last night. No way does he survive that collapse. 

But Payton has ties to Dallas, and I'm assuming that he still lives in New Orleans, which isn't a great distance from Dallas.

While Prescott isn't the talent that Herbert is, Dallas is still a more complete and balanced team overall than the Chargers are, I think that he will percieve Dallas as being closer to a title than the Chargers.

Either way, he's in the driver's seat, he'll come out of this with the best contract of his career. 

Edited by Running With Daboll

Recently fired head coach bought one-way ticket to Thailand, turning away teams interested in services

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/recently-fired-head-coach-bought-one-way-ticket-thailand-turning-down-job-offers-report

I don't know Kingsbury's contract, but I do know that he will keep getting a check every couple of weeks for the foreseeable future. 

I would think that he has a substantial stash of FU money at his disposal, so why not, especially if you might not even be all that interested in coaching again. 

21 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Recently fired head coach bought one-way ticket to Thailand, turning away teams interested in services

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/recently-fired-head-coach-bought-one-way-ticket-thailand-turning-down-job-offers-report

The first thing I'd do in his situation or anything close (with an existing contract paying millions) is take a damn vacation, a year off and just have fun. Then if you want to get back into the rat race and 80-100 hour work weeks go ahead. 

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Justin Herbert says he still supports coach Staley and the front office.

Justin Herbert sends coach clear message after horrible loss (msn.com)

I think that loss sealed Staley's coffin, or at least it should. He made some ridiculous calls in critical situations all season. 

They need to go all in on Payton, in my opinion. 

I think that loss sealed Staley's coffin, or at least it should. He made some ridiculous calls in critical situations all season. 

They need to go all in on Payton, in my opinion. 

Incredibly, it looks like Staley will keep his job, at least for now.

I think this is a big mistake by the Chargers, Staley has too many blind spots to be a championship level head coach imo.

What you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Edited by gilthorp
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, gilthorp said:

What you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Shultz scored, I have him in DFS. 

• Sad 1

On 1/13/2023 at 3:47 PM, stevegrab said:

Browns have interviewed Jim Schwartz for DC, and wanted to talk to Brian Flores but I think they decided to skip or wait, as there was word he was signing a new contract with PIT that would give him a new title making this more of a lateral move. Now I see that the Cards have asked to interview him for HC. 

The other interesting item I saw was former Colts and Lions HC Jim Caldwell was considered for the WAS OC job, but he said no thanks he wants to be a HC again and apparently there is some interest (DEN). 

What's a playoff weekend without some coaching carousel talk. 

And the Browns let the Schwartz be with them as a hire.

14 minutes ago, Big John said:

And the Browns let the Schwartz be with them as a hire.

I'm sure one of our resident experts will be along to tell us what a horrible move it was. I'm glad they acted fast, and didn't lose out on people they really wanted. I'm happy with the hire and look forward to some more fire on defense. 

Edited by stevegrab

Payton was on Cowherd and told him that the Saints are looking for a mid to late 1st rounder. Pretty much what I'd figured they'd get and if the Chargers decide on keeping Staley I think that puts the Texans in the driver's seat.