[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL coaching carousel 2023 edition

stevegrab

3 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

That would of been interesting. I would imagine that Moore will have no problem finding another coordinator job. 

He's probably hopeful for HC interviews.  No doubt he is outlining his path in that direction.

Don't forget that Kellen Moore was already the DAL OC when McCarthy was hired, he kept him on and let him keep calling the plays, while McCarthy had done that during his HC time in GB.

There is now some speculation that McCarthy could go back to calling plays.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2023/01/29/mike-mccarthy-to-call-plays-as-cowboys-part-ways-with-offensive-coordinator-kellen-moore/

Two other offensive assistants did not get their contracts renewed, OL coach Joe Philbin & RB coach Skip Pete. 

Story I was reading said Moore should get interest from LAC and TB who need OCs. 

The Broncos opening could be about a lot more than Wilson and his contract. Don't forget there's new ownership looking to put their stamp on things, that could result in frequent coaching, GM and key player moves. Anyway here's some take from Broncos based media

https://www.milehighreport.com/2023/1/31/23579107/does-anyone-know-who-penner-has-his-eye-on-for-head-coach-does-he

The Denver Post had an article that looked interesting about the "never ending coaching search but for subscribers only.

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

The Broncos opening could be about a lot more than Wilson and his contract. Don't forget there's new ownership looking to put their stamp on things, that could result in frequent coaching, GM and key player moves. Anyway here's some take from Broncos based media

https://www.milehighreport.com/2023/1/31/23579107/does-anyone-know-who-penner-has-his-eye-on-for-head-coach-does-he

The Denver Post had an article that looked interesting about the "never ending coaching search but for subscribers only.

That was interesting, it would seem to be a very prime job in general...storied franchise, great location for many people, solid bones of a program. I don't know about their new leadership that well, what are their expectations, management style. The big negative is that Wilson contract to me and I would think a coach wants everyone to know he needs a longer leash in terms of years if he is a prime candidate. You don't want a few subpar years and ding up your resume. And by the sounds of it Loomis is playing hardball for Payton so far, who is the big prize. But we are all sort of guessing a bit. 

Edited by purplemonster

4 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Saints are expected to hire former Browns DC Joe Woods to be their DC.  Woods was a DB coach under Saints HC Allen when he was Raiders HC about a decade ago.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35600841/source-saints-expected-hire-joe-woods-new-dc

Not sure what we're getting there. Woods was pretty highly regarded not long ago, so we'll see.

4 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Not sure what we're getting there. Woods was pretty highly regarded not long ago, so we'll see.

He seemed to underachieve here. They had some real talent, and upgraded quite a bit but the defense seemed to regress. Hard to say how much was him, or the many injuries. (I think we lost 3 guys that played MLB this season, plus many more games lost at LB and DB.)

I feel another big shakeup is coming to CLE soon if they don't have a very good season. 

• Like 1