[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pacers/Pistons Brawl

Bender Rodriguez

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched it live. The fans were ridiculous but Artest should NOT have went into the stands because of a beer being thrown at him. Ben Wallace took offense to a somewhat hard foul from behind and pushed Artest. Everything escalated and being the end of the game, many fans were drunk. I'm curious to see how this plays out with the league. Even though Ben was wrong for shoving Artest, my guess is that Artest gets the brunt of the punishment for going into the stands. We'll see...

DETROIT FANS=PUNKS

The whole city should be ASHAMED!!!!!!

565463[/snapback]

This would have happened in ANY city. Three hours in and many beers being consumed. Please don't go Jimmy Kimmel and indict the entire city. Detroit has had several championships since the debacle in '84 with the Tigers without incident. As wrong as the few fans were, Artest has to maintain self control. It was beer being poured on him. No physical danger involved (until after he decided to jump in the stands).

Even though Ben was wrong for shoving Artest, my guess is that Artest gets the brunt of the punishment for going into the stands.  We'll see...

565485[/snapback]

Artests reputation preceeds him here...... I saw it too. It was a hard foul but Wallace over-reacted becuase it was Artest.

Artest is gonna get something serious levied on him here..... at least he got his shot in on that poor sap stupid-ass fan :D ...... the fan looked like a deer in headlights when Artest got to him. B)

Funny how rapper ronny wanted time off last week to promote his upcoming double platimum album :D ... now he may get it. :D

Everything would've worked out fine until the fans started throwing things. Artest was avoiding the conflict until a fan hit him in the face with a beer(cup). I believe everyone has a right to defend themselves & that's what happened. The numerous fans who attacked the players should be arrested. As a fan you can talk & taunt all you want. But, when you start throwing items & punches, the players have a right to defend themselves.

Unbelievable!

For all those saying Artest shouldn't have went after the fan....what would you do if someone through a beer & cup and hit you in the face?

The league should defend their players this time.

Everything would've worked out fine until the fans started throwing things.  Artest was avoiding the conflict until a fan hit him in the face with a beer(cup).  I believe everyone has a right to defend themselves & that's what happened.  The numerous fans who attacked the players should be arrested.  As a fan you can talk & taunt all you want.  But, when you start throwing items & punches, the players have a right to defend themselves.

Unbelievable! 

For all those saying Artest shouldn't have went after the fan....what would you do if someone through a beer & cup and hit you in the face? 

The league should defend their players this time.

565525[/snapback]

Without a doubt, the fan who threw the beer was in the wrong. Professional athletes know from time to time this is going to happen and unless a more serious (physical) attack occurs, they must turn the other cheek - although I know I'd want the *** dead. The athletes are in a no win situation. They will end up losing money to the league via fines and probably to the fan who started the problem (or an innocent fan nearby - remember the chair throwing incident in baseball this year). As unfair as it is, it is in the athlete's best interest to 'let it go' in those situations. I'm not saying it's right, but it's better for them.

It appear's that the NBA is courting those NHL fans who like the violent fighting aspect of the NHL.

Let's get Hockey back so the fights will remain where they belong...on the ice. :D

Going into the stands after fans at no time should be justified. I would be suprised if Artest and the rest don't get suspended for the remainder of the season.

Without a doubt, the fan who threw the beer was in the wrong.  Professional athletes know from time to time this is going to happen and unless a more serious (physical) attack occurs, they must turn the other cheek - although I know I'd want the *** dead.  The athletes are in a no win situation.  They will end up losing money to the league via fines and probably to the fan who started the problem (or an innocent fan nearby - remember the chair throwing incident in baseball this year).  As unfair as it is, it is in the athlete's best interest to 'let it go' in those situations.  I'm not saying it's right, but it's better for them.

565539[/snapback]

I agree Puddy that it's in the players best interest to let it go. However, in this case I think the league & law enforcement should make a statement by going after the fans that incited the whole thing & defending the players. Just know as a fan, if you ever in anyway assault a player you'll be prosecuted.

A player can't go in the stands over words from a fan. But, when it becomes physical a player should be able to defend themselves.

I agree Puddy that it's in the players best interest to let it go.  However, in this case I think the league & law enforcement should make a statement by going after the fans that incited the whole thing & defending the players.  Just know as a fan, if you ever in anyway assault a player you'll be prosecuted.

A player can't go in the stands over words from a fan.  But, when it becomes physical a player should be able to defend themselves.

565578[/snapback]

I agree that the fans involved should pay. I hope they can identify them and teach them a lesson. I still think Artest made a mistake. He wasn't really 'defending' himself as he was NOT in imminent danger. His pride was hurt and sometimes that's a hard thing to deal with. He did surprisingly well as far as not reacting to Ben Wallace's agression. But he needed a little more of that self-restraint. Now he will probably pay dearly for his response.

As wrong as the few fans were, Artest has to maintain self control.  It was beer being poured on him.  No physical danger involved (until after he decided to jump in the stands).

565489[/snapback]

It was NOT a beer being poured on him. It was a full cup of beer that hit him right in the face. I would've gone in the stands too. Ridiculous. Artest was assaulted and has every right to defend himself.

I agree that the fans involved should pay.  I hope they can identify them and teach them a lesson.  I still think Artest made a mistake.  He wasn't really 'defending' himself as he was NOT in imminent danger.  His pride was hurt and sometimes that's a hard thing to deal with.  He did surprisingly well as far as not reacting to Ben Wallace's agression.  But he needed a little more of that self-restraint.  Now he will probably pay dearly for his response.

565588[/snapback]

I agree it would've been in Artest's best interest to not go after the fan, but, I can't fault him.

What he'll probably be really sorry about is it sounds like he got the wrong fan. He may pay dearly for that! (rigthfully so)

It was NOT a beer being poured on him.  It was a full cup of beer that hit him right in the face.  I would've gone in the stands too.  Ridiculous.  Artest was assaulted and has every right to defend himself.

565608[/snapback]

Except it looks like he went after the wrong guy. You just can't go blindly throwing punches at the fans when you get some beer thrown on you. Not defending the fans' actions, just saying that a professional athlete should show a bit more restraint.

Going into the stands after fans at no time should be justified.  I would be suprised if Artest and the rest don't get suspended for the remainder of the season.

565562[/snapback]

:D

I don't think he should be suspended for defending himself. I agree, players CANNOT go after fans for insults, slurs, etc. But once Artest was assaulted, he has every right to react.

Edited by CaptainHook

I don't think he should be suspended for defending himself.  I agree, players CANNOT go after fans for insults, slurs, etc.  But once Artest was assaulted, he has every right to react.

565619[/snapback]

I agree with you on that Hook. Throw something at a player & expect to get your A$$ kicked.

ANYONE should be able to defend themselves period! Just because they have a uniform on doesn't take that right from them.

Again, it would've been in Artest's best interest to not go in the stands. But, I don't see how anyone can blame him.

Edited by Turf Boy

I don't think he should be suspended for defending himself.  I agree, players CANNOT go after fans for insults, slurs, etc.  But once Artest was assaulted, he has every right to react.

565619[/snapback]

It looked more like retaliation than reaction.

Except it looks like he went after the wrong guy.  You just can't go blindly throwing punches at the fans when you get some beer thrown on you.  Not defending the fans' actions, just saying that a professional athlete should show a bit more restraint.

565614[/snapback]

I agree with you 100% on that. If that wasn't the guy, he will be paid some big bucks later.