[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pacers/Pistons Brawl

Bender Rodriguez

Remember, Spree was suspended a season for attacking his coach...

What happens when three thugs attack fans?

The NBA has to decide what is more important... Three thugs, or fans...

It would be a slightly different subject the fight was between Artest and the instigator... It wasnt...

Someone said imagine if someone through a beer in your face at a bar...

2 things

1. I don't get paid millions to drink at bars

2. I would go after the guy who through the drink, not the guy next to him.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, O'Neil really landed a haymaker on the fat boy who was on the court...him and his buddy had just gotten tangled up with Artest, the guy just got to his feet and then O'Neil clocked his ass with a running shot! The guy deserved it as far as I'm concerned, those dudes shouldn't have been on the court, especially not with that garbage going on all around.

The fan that got attacked wasnt the guy who threw the beer... If im at a game and an *** thows a beer at shaq, I want to know that im not going to get my ass kicked...

If Spree gets banned for a season, Jackson, Artest, and O Neil should have LIFE TIME BANS...

no way to justify it what-so-ever...

565697[/snapback]

You're absolutely wrong & foolish.

So if someone hit you in the face with a bottle/ cup or whatever.....you wouldn't do anything? Don't give me this, but, they are players sh!t. They are men first & have the right to defend themselves. The police said as much.

Remember, Spree was suspended a season for attacking his coach...

What happens when three thugs attack fans? 

The NBA has to decide what is more important... Three thugs, or fans...

It would be a slightly different subject the fight was between Artest and the instigator... It wasnt...

Someone said imagine if someone through a beer in your face at a bar...

2 things

1.  I don't get paid millions to drink at bars

2.  I would go after the guy who through the drink, not the guy next to him.

565715[/snapback]

I just don't get you at all.

It doesn't matter HOW MUCH MONEY SOMEONE MAKES. If someone assaults you, you have the right to defend yourself. Period!

Yeah, it would've been better all the way around if Artest did nothing. But, I can't relate to people blaming him for going after someone who threw something at him. I think the majority of men would react in the same manner.

Hook, cute little abbreviations like lol really mean "im a ***ing idiot"

and the whole defense idea... I know it sounds wierd but check with a lawyer or cop.

Once the threat is gone you are not defending yourself.

Going into the stands is retalliation not a defensive move.

good job on reverting back to grade school with the idiot comments... what next? Your Momma jokes?

Grow up

Artest is not a man... He is a child... A man wouldnt ask for time off to promote an album... And, yes, I am a man... Im a man not because I'll react without thinking, but because I think before I act, which Artest has shown he can't do.

I love this poor little thugs thing you guys have going on.

quick question... did you guys vote bush?

I attend many Pistons games. The crowd is never rowdy. I was surprised to hear about the incident.

I haven't seen it, and, for the most part, I'll refrain from comment. But, if Artest ran into the stands because someone threw a beer at him, I wouldn't cut him any slack.

To say that Artest was "defending himself" by running into the stands to get closer to his "assailant" sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

Its not very smart to give a beat down to a guy because he dumped a beer on you.

Hook, cute little abbreviations like lol really mean "im a ***ing idiot"

and the whole defense idea... I know it sounds wierd but check with a lawyer or cop.

Once the threat is gone you are not defending yourself.

Going into the stands is retalliation not a defensive move.

good job on reverting back to grade school with the idiot comments... what next?  Your Momma jokes?

Grow up

565721[/snapback]

#1. There is no video supporting that he did not get the right guy.

#2. READ THE WHOLE THREAD. Detroit police came on ESPN and said players were justified if they had objects hurled at them. It becomes self defense.

#3. Sorry, but your logic is really dumb. Lifetime bans? Are you kidding me? They will be suspended, probably 5-10 games. But that is too much. They did not instigate or provoke the fight. The fans did. Hopefully the NBAPA can step in and keep the suspensions short.

Edited by CaptainHook

Another thing... Once you are thrusted into the public spot light, you have to play by different rules... You have to be careful what you do... ESPECIALLY when it comes to every day regular fans...

How many times do you think the broncos have had beers dumped onto them while playing the raiders? It happens more than not, but most athletes are smart enough to know that you can't react in the manner that the three pacers did.

Once a fan goes onto the court its open season... I agree, but you can't go into the stands.

Doug Christie saw the tape and said the same thing I've been saying... Spree was suspended indefinatley for atticking PJ Carlisimo... Jackson, ONeil and Artest wont play for a while...

And the Pacers being "men" So after Artest slugged the guy walking on the court, O'Neil goes and hits him while he's down... The guy got what he deserved, but O'Neil is not a man.

I attend many Pistons games.  The crowd is never rowdy.  I was surprised to hear about the incident.

I haven't seen it, and, for the most part, I'll refrain from comment.  But, if Artest ran into the stands because someone threw a beer at him, I wouldn't cut him any slack. 

To say that Artest was "defending himself" by running into the stands to get closer to his "assailant" sounds pretty ridiculous to me. 

Its not very smart to give a beat down to a guy because he dumped a beer on you.

565726[/snapback]

Hey Furd,

Flip on ESPN, they show it over & over.

Bottom line, would've been best if Artest did nothing. However, fans have NO RIGHT throwing ANYTHING at players PERIOD. Throw something at another person & be prepared to face the consequences.

#1.  There is no video supporting that he did not get the right guy.

#2.  READ THE WHOLE THREAD.  Detroit police came on ESPN and said players were justified if they had objects hurled at them.  It becomes self defense.

#3.  Sorry, but your logic is really dumb.  Lifetime bans?  Are you kidding me?  They will be suspended, probably 5-10 games.  But that is too much.  They did not instigate or provoke the fight.  The fans did.  Hopefully the NBAPA can step in and keep the suspensions short.

565729[/snapback]

Artest is an idiot. However, I can't blame him for his reaction in this instance...nor do I think he can be completely absolved of any responsibility, but he was trying to stay out of the whole conflict with Wallace and was further provoked by the fans throwing stuff at him...I would have reacted the exact same way he did, completely right or not.

However, while there may be no video evidence that says he didn't get the right guy, it's obvious he didn't. That guy was standing there with a full beer in his hand just cheering on the chaos, I doubt he was doubling fisting and managed to one hand a full beer down there to Artest's face with perfect aim. I don't think Artest actually punched that guy either though, he just kind of grabbed him and the dude fell down and then everyone grabbed Artest.

Big difference of a beer being poured on you and a full cup hitting you in the face. If you can't see that, you are, hmm, ok I won't say stupid, ahh, unintelligent. Shaq told Steven A. Smith he would have gone in the stands too. You can't go into the stands because of words, slurs, insults, but you sure can if you are attacked. Plain and simple.

League officials and sports anaylist are saying the suspensions will be indefinate... They know more than both of us.

1. Jim Grey saw the entire incident, and did say the wrong guy was attacked... His word is better than you or I... Im going on what im seeing and hearing, while you're busy calling me an idiot.

3. Maxwell 10 games for getting into a verbal altercation in the stands, Spreewell indefinate suspension for attacking Carlisimo... Attacking fans, at least this year.

Hook, instead of insulting, just listen... Im not saying the fans who threw things are right, im saying that those players have no exscuse to do what they did. The league is doing damage control, if they go for 10 games, there will be A LOT of negetive reaction from the FANS... The league will have to make a statment that physical altercations with the crowd wont be tolerated.

Hook, instead of insulting, just listen... Im not saying the fans who threw things are right, im saying that those players have no exscuse to do what they did.  The league is doing damage control, if they go for 10 games, there will be A LOT of negetive reaction from the FANS... The league will have to make a statment that physical altercations with the crowd wont be tolerated.

565734[/snapback]

There has been nothing regarding suspension lengths, so I don't know where you got the "indefinitely" deal.

NBA players will go nuts if they suspend them longer than 10 games. Almost everyone of them has said they'd have done the same thing as Artest.

Plus, Artest didn't hit anyone, until he was punched in the back of the head. He grabbed the first guy, and he fell down. No harm.

Edited by CaptainHook

Another thing... Once you are thrusted into the public spot light, you have to play by different rules... You have to be careful what you do... ESPECIALLY when it comes to every day regular fans...

How many times do you think the broncos have had beers dumped onto them while playing the raiders?  It happens more than not, but most athletes are smart enough to know that you can't react in the manner that the three pacers did.

Once a fan goes onto the court its open season... I agree, but you can't go into the stands.

Doug Christie saw the tape and said the same thing I've been saying... Spree was suspended indefinatley for atticking PJ Carlisimo... Jackson, ONeil and Artest wont play for a while...

And the Pacers being "men" So after Artest slugged the guy walking on the court, O'Neil goes and hits him while he's down... The guy got what he deserved, but O'Neil is not a man.

565730[/snapback]

IT wasn't a beer dumped on someone. It was a full cup thrown from several rows up that hit him in the face(pretty hard), big difference.

Hitting someone doesn't make you a man. All I said was that most men I know would've reacted to having something thrown in their face.

What do you mean there has been nothing regarding suspension lengths?

Was Vernon Maxwell not suspended in 95?

Was Spreewell not suspended a few years back?

There actions are less than what we saw today, thus the pacers suspensions will probably be idefinate.

The NBA players will go nuts no matter what... The players will look at it like you are, that it was instigated by a fan.

Half of the NBA fans will go nuts if they don't get long term suspensions...

Another thing... When was O'Neil or Jackson attacked?

Artest is an idiot.  However, I can't blame him for his reaction in this instance...nor do I think he can be completely absolved of any responsibility, but he was trying to stay out of the whole conflict with Wallace and was further provoked by the fans throwing stuff at him...I would have reacted the exact same way he did, completely right or not. 

However, while there may be no video evidence that says he didn't get the right guy, it's obvious he didn't.  That guy was standing there with a full beer in his hand just cheering on the chaos, I doubt he was doubling fisting and managed to one hand a full beer down there to Artest's face with perfect aim.  I don't think Artest actually punched that guy either though, he just kind of grabbed him and the dude fell down and then everyone grabbed Artest.

565732[/snapback]

The fan was interviewed & said that Artest asked him if he threw it. He said no & Artest let go of him. Artest could've teed off on this guy & didn't, he was looking for who threw it. Looks like Artest thought it was the guy, but wanted to make sure first.

Spreewell indefinate suspension for attacking Carlisimo

565734[/snapback]

The Spreewell incident was completely and entirely different than this though. P.J. maybe had verbally provoked Spree, but Latrell is the one who first escalated it to any type of physical confrontation. Making matters worse for Spree was that he and P.J. were separated, Spree left practice for a while, then later came back to the practice facility and again physically attacked Carlisimo. Big difference there than to a player reacting in the heat of the moment from getting beaned in the face with an object thrown by a fan. He will get suspended, and it might be somewhat lengthy but a lifetime, or even season long suspension would be completely ridiculous and I doubt the league would ever clear something like that past the players' union.

Turf,

how many men would be laying on a table, pretty much asking for something to be thrown at him?

Detroit is a rowdy place... The fan was wrong, yes, but laying there, after a stupid foul, when the game was over... Rubbing a loss in the fans face is, in itself, instigating the whole situation.

What do you mean there has been nothing regarding suspension lengths?

Was Vernon Maxwell not suspended in 95?

Was Spreewell not suspended a few years back?

There actions are less than what we saw today, thus the pacers suspensions will probably be idefinate.

The NBA players will go nuts no matter what... The players will look at it like you are, that it was instigated by a fan. 

Half of the NBA fans will go nuts if they don't get long term suspensions...

Another thing... When was O'Neil or Jackson attacked?

565740[/snapback]

Nobody threw anything at Maxwell

Nobody threw anything at Spree

Jackson is standing next to Artest when the guy in the black shirt throws a ton of beer on them both. Jackson hits him.

Cameras were not on O'Neal till the end when charis, popcorn, drinks were being thrown, so who knows. If a fan comes out on the court, he's gonna get it.

So you know, indefinitely doesn't mean forever. It means undefined. It means they would be out until the number of games is decided on.

Yes, Spree did leave and come back, but three players got into a fight with fans. Jackson and O'Neil, by your standards were not attacked... So how does that work out?

I'll bet each and every one of you 50 bucks that there will be three Indefinate suspensions, along with lifetime bans for the fans who fought.

Turf,

how many men would be laying on a table, pretty much asking for something to be thrown at him?

Detroit is a rowdy place... The fan was wrong, yes, but laying there, after a stupid foul, when the game was over...  Rubbing a loss in the fans face is, in itself, instigating the whole situation.

565743[/snapback]

OHH, you are a Detroit fan. I get it. He was asking for it. That makes sense. :D

Turf,

Detroit is a rowdy place... The fan was wrong, yes, but laying there, after a stupid foul, when the game was over...  Rubbing a loss in the fans face is, in itself, instigating the whole situation.

565743[/snapback]

Whether you mean to or not, you are attempting to place blame here on Artest that is unjustified. You can't blame him for laying on a table and saying he is asking for it...that's ridiculous. That's similar to people who attempt to blame rape victims for wearing provactive clothing.

I also don't think Artest was trying to rub the win in anyone's face...I think he was trying to say "Look NBA, I was attacked (by Wallace) and I'm maintaining my composure and completely staying out of this one." That's the sad part, I think he was initially trying to do the right thing and then it blew up on him.

Edited by Skrappy1