[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I smell collusion...

splifton

I am a commishioner of a 8 team performance based scoring league. I have been commishioner for the last 4 years of this league that has been around for 11 years.

On the last trade night, which is week#11, the last place team, which has a win-loss record of 1-9, traded the first place team, which has a win-loss record of 8-2 the following:

QB M. Hasselback, RB E. James, DEF/ST New England

for

RB E. Smith, RB W. Green, DEF/ST Philadelphia

I've never seen a trade like this at the end of the trade deadline in the seven years of joining this league and it smells of collusion 100%.

Five of the other owners were pretty upset about the trade, however, as commishioner, and as owners, we do not have any veto powers over trades. Nor do I think that we really want them. Since how is it fair for any of us to judge one man's junk for another man's treasure type scenario. However, when something that smells so bad as this trade, we decided we needed to act. However, we will not get to act on it until next year since all new rules must be in place prior to the draft.

Some of us thought that we could push up the trade deadline up to week#8 while most of us are still in the playoff hunt. This might help avoid collusions like this in the future. However it is not foolproof since someone at 0-7 could end up doing the same thing in a week#8 trade deadline.

Any ideas would be great???

I am a commishioner of a 8 team performance based scoring league.  I have been commishioner for the last 4 years of this league that has been around for 11 years.

On the last trade night, which is week#11, the last place team, which has a win-loss record of 1-9, traded the first place team, which has a win-loss record of 8-2 the following:

for

I've never seen a trade like this at the end of the trade deadline in the seven years of joining this league and it smells of collusion 100%.

Five of the other owners were pretty upset about the trade, however, as commishioner, and as owners, we do not have any veto powers over trades.  Nor do I think that we really want them. Since how is it fair for any of us to judge one man's junk for another man's treasure type scenario.  However, when something that smells so bad as this trade, we decided we needed to act.  However, we will not get to act on it until next year since all new rules must be in place prior to the draft.

Some of us thought that we could push up the trade deadline up to week#8 while most of us are still in the playoff hunt.  This might help avoid collusions like this in the future.  However it is not foolproof since someone at 0-7 could end up doing the same thing in a week#8 trade deadline.

565660[/snapback]

You could keep the trade deadline as it is and as commish you could put something in place that if you see a questionable trade that at that time you can put it to a league vote and allow the rest of the league to decide if it is a legit trade or not.

I am a commishioner of a 8 team performance based scoring league.  I have been commishioner for the last 4 years of this league that has been around for 11 years.

for

Five of the other owners were pretty upset about the trade, however, as commishioner, and as owners, we do not have any veto powers over trades.  Nor do I think that we really want them. Since how is it fair for any of us to judge one man's junk for another man's treasure type scenario.  However, when something that smells so bad as this trade, we decided we needed to act.  However, we will not get to act on it until next year since all new rules must be in place prior to the draft.

Some of us thought that we could push up the trade deadline up to week#8 while most of us are still in the playoff hunt.  This might help avoid collusions like this in the future.  However it is not foolproof since someone at 0-7 could end up doing the same thing in a week#8 trade deadline.

565660[/snapback]

Who got What? What are their rosters? Cause I beleave the guy who got Smith and Phili's D. got the better deal if your league is NOT a keeper league.

Edited by thebrowneye1

In our league, 12 team, after week 10 the top 6 teams can not trade with the bottom 6. Our standing can change from week to week, ie 5th place in week 10 then 7th place in week 11. We haven't had any problems with the bottomfeeders offloading their team when their chances have looked slim. plus we've thrown a little extra into the pot for a weekly winner pot. So if a team is out of race for win/loss record or total points they still have a shot a the weekly winner pot. That pot winner is determined by a drawing. Every weekly winner thrown in a hat and a winner drawn.

my league trade deadline is week 7 mid point of regular season. We have veto rights 60% of league must say no.

we have some good people in our league so no trade has ever been vetoed.

do you not have a catch 22 rule? Put one in next year. If that trade was proposed in my league, even if there wasn't veto rights. As the commish i would veto "for the good and integrity of the league". If they whine and ***, show them the door. The hardest thing about fantasy leagues is keeping them honest, better to lose 2 then the rest of your league.

for

565660[/snapback]

First of all, I'd seriously consider not allowing that last place owner back in the league next year (or at least put it to a vote). That trade absolutely stinks, and undermines the whole idea of fairness.

As far as preventative measures go, it's very difficult to come up with rules that are both effective and fair. One of my leagues has a veto rule, in which every trade is subject to a vote, and it's a complete joke. Everybody blindly objects to everything, just to do it, and even the most innocuous trades are hard to get through. Any type of major trade, however fair, has NO chance whatsoever.

The best solution would be to have a completely impartial, but knowledgeable, commissioner who would have to approve all trades, and could flag obvious collusion. But since most commissioners are also owners, it makes it difficult. We've kicked around ideas of giving each owner a maximum number of objections and such, but that has problems too.

Whatever you deside, you definitely need SOMETHING to prevent obvious dumping or collusion like the trade you mentioned.

Okay, let's put the big names aside for a minute and take a look at this.

As an Edge owner, I can tell you that I am frustrated beyond belief and I would trade him for just about any decent running back. In a standard scoring league, Edge is the No. 7 back and Emmitt Smith is the No. 10 back. However, I feel that Smith is more valuable at this point because HE SCORES TOUCHDOWNS.

In a standard scoring league, Matt Hasselbeck is the No. 16 QB. On top of that, he's injured. Are you honestly going to tell me that the team in last place doesn't have a better alternative? At this point in the season, Hasselbeck is nothing but FFL junk with a big name.

In most standard scoring leagues, the Patriots D and the Eagles D are neck and neck. The only difference is that the Patriots D has been decimated by injuries making the Eagles D the better choice.

Say what you will about William Green (God knows, I can't stand him), but he is still a starting RB, and as long as Butch Davis runs the show, he will still get carries. Suggs has had plenty of opportunities to prove himself, and he's done nothing with them.

So there you have it. Get the big names out of your head and look at what the players involved in the trade are actually DOING. I think if you really break it down, you'll see that it's not that unfair of a trade at all.

After going and looking at some numbers on all of the players involved, I gotta agree with Tomfin.

I wouldn't call the trade collusion.

People hear Edge for Emmit, and think that someone is getting screwed.

I'd actually rather have Emmitt.

Not collusion in my view.

Ben

Have these owners been in the league for 11 years as well? Have they done anything remotely fishy in the past? Do you or the other 5 owners consider them friends? Finally, have you asked them to explain their reasoning or does everyone just like to whine first? If they have a terrible answer AND someone considers them a friend, just ask them to recind the trade. If they don't, kick them out of the league and put in a stinking collusion rule next year - otherwise you just take orders and keep stats... not a commissioner.

It's a tough thing to do. Having a vote sucks because who should be able to tell me how I can rob someone else, right? I took advantage of a couple people in my league this year and I'm the commish as well. And I only initiated one of the trades...lol.

If there is a way to keep track of how active a team is thru the season that helps. If they have not made a move and appear they are just dumping them off now it's fishy. Do they know each other? Does it appear they are even two different people?

Having to make tough choices makes being a Commish tough.

I respect your opinions of why you think it does not smell like collusion, but let me give you some more information on the trade:

1) In our league I'll give you the following rankings:

E. James is the 5th best RB/159 total points

Emmitt is the 14th best RB/107 total points

W. Green is the 38th best RB/41 total points

Hasselcrap is the 17th best QB/84 total points

The trade between DEF/ST is a wash (ie: NE for PHI)

So when you look at it player for player it looks as if Hasselcrap for crappy W. Green, advantage for the #1 team who gets Hasselcrap. Advantage for the #1 team getting E. James. Our league values RBs slightly a little better than QB's and the thing is the last place team does not need Green since he has Staley, M. Faulk, Barlow & Blaylock. You can only start two RBs!

2) Two weeks prior to this trade the last place team traded Bulger, L.T., R. Wayne to another team, let's call it team C, for McNabb, E. James, A. Johnson. Well later on the team C traded L.T. to the first place team. So the question is why didn't the last place team even get try and get L.T. from the first place team????

3) Other teams were offering way better players for E. James on the last trade night anyways......

Oh well that's how the cookie crumbles.... We'll get over it, but we will have to implement some type of mechanism to thwart collusion if need be. Thanks all!

I respect your opinions of why you think it does not smell like collusion, but let me give you some more information on the trade:

1) In our league I'll give you the following rankings:

E. James is the 5th best RB/159 total points

Emmitt is the 14th best RB/107 total points

W. Green is the 38th best RB/41 total points

Hasselcrap is the 17th best QB/84 total points

The trade between DEF/ST is a wash (ie: NE for PHI)

So when you look at it player for player it looks as if Hasselcrap for crappy W. Green, advantage for the #1 team who gets Hasselcrap. Advantage for the #1 team getting E. James.  Our league values RBs slightly a little better than QB's and the thing is the last place team does not need Green since he has Staley, M. Faulk, Barlow & Blaylock. You can only start two RBs!

2) Two weeks prior to this trade the last place team traded Bulger, L.T., R. Wayne to another team, let's call it team C, for McNabb, E. James,  A. Johnson.  Well later on the team C traded L.T. to the first place team.  So the question is why didn't the last place team even get try and get L.T. from the first place team????

3) Other teams were offering way better players for E. James on the last trade night anyways......

Oh well that's how the cookie crumbles....  We'll get over it, but we will have to implement some type of mechanism to thwart collusion if need be.  Thanks all!

566539[/snapback]

I think you're missing the main point here. You and five other member think this is collusion. You only have 8 members. You have two cheaters. Implementing something will not stop them from cheating or using loopholes in your rules. They have no integrity. Kick them out.