[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Time for the yearly NoThanksgiving rants.

The Irish Doggy

:D Once again we'll be subjected to awful teams playing awful football on Thanksgiving. When will the league drop this "tradition"? Are there three less watchable teams in the NFL than the Cowboys, Lions, and Bears right now?

The Cowboys have obviously mailed in the season and don't care if its return to sender. Parcells ends his tenure blaming everyone but the cheerleaders for this wasted team. :D

The freaking Bears? How do they get a big game like this? Pass the tryptophan. :D

The Lions.... :bawling:

At least the Colts will provide some excitement in a 56-13 blowout that nobody will need to watch after the 2nd quarter starts. B)

Bah! The only thing I look forward to less than the games is the incessant "Happy Thanksgiving" wishes we'll hear from Berman. Dude, give it a rest! :D

It wouldn't be Thanksgiving without the annual Lions and Cowboys beatings. But I do agree with the others. Usually these two teams face a good opponent.

How the he!! did the Bears get in. Did they have a good year last year and I just missed it????

How about this. Have the Cowboys and Lions play each other on Thanksgiving and then let the best two teams from last year play each other in the second game.

That way the other networks could schedule, oh I don't know, maybe a Curling match against the game and get that sport more American exposure.... :D

It's a hugh conspiracy! First fill the fat piggish Americans with turkey, then as the tryptophan courses through their veins, have them watch the most sleep-inducing televeision programming imaginable. Could any manufactured drug be more powerful? NO!!!

As we sleep, those "in power" will sneak into our homes and steal single socks from our dryers (that's how they come up with valuable prizes for various on-line contests). Shhhhhhhhhhhhh.

It wouldn't be Thanksgiving without the annual Lions and Cowboys beatings.  But I do agree with the others. Usually these two teams face a good opponent.

How the he!! did the Bears get in. Did they have a good year last year and I just missed it????

How about this. Have the Cowboys and Lions play each other on Thanksgiving and then let the best two teams from last year play each other in the second game.

That way the other networks could schedule, oh I don't know, maybe a Curling match against the game and get that sport more American exposure.... :D

569852[/snapback]

THose 2 teams were the most willing to play those games. At one time, the Packers were always the visiting team for the Lions, until the Packers saying they were at a disadvantage being the visiting team every year in the short week. There were proposals to revive that, but the Packers countered with a proposal to play each other every Thanksgiving if the home team alternated every year. The Lions rejected that and there were no more talks on that.

The decisions on the visiting team have to include 1 NFC and 1 AFC team, alternating between the Lions and Cowboys every year. (TV contract rules). So the AFC team is 1 of the 2 the Lions or Cowboys host that year. For the NFC team, there are more politics involved, plus the willingness of the visiting team to play that game. It has little to nothing to do with the team's record nor how they are expected to perform that year.

I can't recall a time when the Eagles played Dallas on thanksgiving....supposedly it happened in the 80's...but I don't recall it...

you'd think the odds were in our favor...playing them twice a year...

569866[/snapback]

Didn't they play in 91? If I remember correctly that was the year there was so much sleet. It was also the year of the bone head play. I'm pretty sure it was 91, because I made an 5 hour drive in 4 hours, because no one else was dumb enough to be out on the iced over roads in Texas. I left the deer lease in Llano, and made it to my mother-in-laws house in Tyler in a little over 4 hours, and even stopped by my house to shower. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm right, because it was the first Thanksgiving at the mother-in-laws, and I was almost late because of the weather and a hang over.

Didn't they play in 91?  If I remember correctly that was the year there was so much sleet.  It was also the year of the bone head play.  I'm pretty sure it was 91, because I made an 5 hour drive in 4 hours, because no one else was dumb enough to be out on the iced over roads in Texas.  I left the deer lease in Llano, and made it to my mother-in-laws house in Tyler in a little over 4 hours, and even stopped by my house to shower.  I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm right, because it was the first Thanksgiving at the mother-in-laws, and I was almost late because of the weather and a hang over.

569891[/snapback]

The sleet game was against the Dolphins.

Oh, be quiet. The Lions on Turkey Day has been happening since your grandpa was in grade school, and it's practically the only tie to the past the NFL has left. Eveybody cries for "more interesting" matchups, but MNF gets 17 bites at the apple every year and we get 2 or 3 good games. You simply can't schedule a guaranteed-to-be-interesting matchup for November in February--so why not continue a tradition twice as old as most people on this board?

Besides, you should be thankful it's the Lions--and not your team--that has to face the Colts on 4 days' rest.

Peace

policy

Since 1934... Detroit.... would not be Thanksgiving without the Lions playing.

I expect it.

Wouldn't be Thanksgiving without some Lions on the TV.

569946[/snapback]

And last time the Lions played the Bears, they wiped the floor with my Bears 55-10, or something like that. Truly horrible, I threw up my turkey..... :D

It seems to me that when I was just a wee one, an awful lot of those Detroit games were played in the snow.... and I loved it! I hate domed stadiums for football. I understand it for the Supe and all, but, watching an NFL game being played in a blizzard was a heck of a lot of fun! :D

It seems to me that when I was just a wee one, an awful lot of those Detroit games were played in the snow.... and I loved it! I hate domed stadiums for football. I understand it for the Supe and all, but, watching an NFL game being played in a blizzard was a heck of a lot of fun!  :D

569957[/snapback]

Football should be played outdoors no matter what the weather. All domes are evil.

Nothing better than watching two teams go at it in a fog so thick you can't see the field, snow a foot deep, wind at 40+, and a windchill of -25. Um mmmm! :D

Since 1934... Detroit.... would not be Thanksgiving without the Lions playing.

I expect it.

Wouldn't be Thanksgiving without some Lions on the TV.

569946[/snapback]

Speaking as a resident of someplace that very rarely shows Lions game, I always loved watching them on Thanksgiving strictly because of Barry Sanders.

That said, it's been awhile since the Lions have been worth watching. At least it's not the Packers playing this year.

Pro football on Thursday, Sunday, and Monday this week? I don't care who plays.

If you only watched the games that had great matchups during the year, you'd be lucky to see a half a dozen games all year and the good games almost always end up being those games that were not touted so heavily before. Football is football.

Stop Lion hating.

I fully support Cowboy hating, though. :D

Pro football on Thursday, Sunday, and Monday this week? I don't care who plays. 

If you only watched the games that had great matchups during the year, you'd be lucky to see a half a dozen games all year and the good games almost always end up being those games that were not touted so heavily before.  Football is football.

Stop Lion hating. 

I fully support Cowboy hating, though. :D

570038[/snapback]

I love having football on 3 days this week....they shoulda topped it off and made 2 games on friday and saturday too..

the more "primetime" games...the better.....

and it doesn't matter if it's night time...as long as it's the only game in town...it's primetime...