[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eli Manning ... is he a bust?

Grits and Shins

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too early to tell. But, at this point he sure looks lost and hasn't helped keep away the "bust" talk. But, with that said, I'm not ready to throw him into the Ryan Leaf pile just yet. He was a very good college quarterback, and he's not just riding on his last name. But, we've seen many good college QBs that didn't make it in the NFL. We'll just have to wait a while longer to see. :D

Not a single flash ...

607765[/snapback]

I haven't read all four pages in which I hope someone has disputed you, but this is utterly completely FALSE. He had two good halves - one v Atlanta, one v Philly. He's thrown some beautiful deep balls got 50+ yds.

Yup. That was the "flash" we've been waiting for. Only thing I don't understand is why Coughlin made Manning the starter when he did. If the team has the chance, even if it's a small one, to make the play-offs, why put in a rookie QB? You know he' going to struggle. You know he's going to make mistakes. You know he's probably going to lose. The only thing he did was make Manning the fall guy. If you're going to do that, why wasn't he the starter from Week 1?

Yup.  That was the "flash" we've been waiting for.  Only thing I don't understand is why Coughlin made Manning the starter when he did.  If the team has the chance, even if it's a small one, to make the play-offs, why put in a rookie QB?  You know he' going to struggle.  You know he's going to make mistakes.  You know he's  probably going to lose.  The only thing he did was make Manning the fall guy.  If you're going to do that, why wasn't he the starter from Week 1?

619040[/snapback]

I guess with the injuries and all he saw where the team was headed and wanted to get the kid some experience in real games. It looked to be backfiring on him when they were getting destroyed along with Mannings confidence but, after this, I consider it a win for Manning. With all the BS aside Manning did a great job against what is supposed to be the #1 def. in the league. I don't think the Steelers laid down as one thread was saying, as they do have something to play for; they were just surprised by the way the Giants played and had to make adjustments at halftime. The real surprise was the Giants hung in to the end and that has got to go to their credit.

I guess with the injuries and all he saw where the team was headed and wanted to get the kid some experience in real games. It looked to be backfiring on him when they were getting destroyed along with Mannings confidence

619081[/snapback]

But don't you think it just set up Eli to look like the reason they were failing? Yeah, the Giants weren't going to make the play-offs, but why not let Warner get beat to hell for a couple more weeks so that the NY media wasn't going to kill Manning for doing what rookie QB's do, and blaming him for missing the play-offs? And everyone knew from the start of the season, that they weren't a play-off team? Why not let Eli start from the start?

Warner is a snake. Every interview he's like: "I dunno why I got benched. We were in the middle of the play-off hunt. I think the chances of me coming back here are slim."

Edited by CaptainHook

But don't you think it just set up Eli to look like the reason they were failing?  Yeah, the Giants weren't going to make the play-offs, but why not let Warner get beat to hell for a couple more weeks so that the NY media wasn't going to kill Manning for doing what rookie QB's do, and blaming him for missing the play-offs?  And everyone knew from the start of the season, that they weren't a play-off team?  Why not let Eli start from the start?

Warner is a snake.  Every interview he's like: "I dunno why I got benched.  We were in the middle of the play-off hunt.  I think the chances of me coming back here are slim."

619091[/snapback]

I can't argue with much of what you said but, now that it's done hopefully Manning gets some confidence and he'll have some experience going into next year. I'm sure, loss or not the media will let up some, but not completely.

As for Warner, he'll maybe get another shot somewhere else but he better keep the shelf stocking on his resume.

Hook, sometimes you just lose me. First off, living in NY, I hear Warner talk a lot more than you, and I sure don't think he's been a snake, to the contrary, I think he has handled being demoted very well, and he hasn't tried to fuel the flames of a QB controversy. Like any athlete, he wants to play. He KNOWS why he got benched, but he isn't going to say that the O line sucks, they have no play makers at the WR positions and the team never had a chance at the playoffs. I've heard him say many times that Manning is the future, and he understands that. And he has said he would like to go to a team he could start for. Nothing wrong with that.

Manning should have been inserted into the Chicago game..... Coughlin waited too long before getting him game experience. He is going to have some bad games as he learns how to play in this league. Let him get those bad games played now, not next year. If Eli can't take the heat, too bad, this is NY, and there will always be a lot of heat in the kitchen. He has to get used to that, too. At least by playing him for the rest of this year, they won't sacrafice next year too.

One of the reasons he played well today was because they simplified the play calling at the line. He didnt get confused, and was able to relax and use his talents, instead of trying to "think" his way through the game. Last week he was admittedly confused trying to read the Baltimore D schemes. This week they took alot of optional play calling at the line away from him. He played much better.

Suggesting that Warner should be starting, and then calling him a snake doesnt make much sense. The Giants bet on Manning for the future, and the future is now. If he can get over most of his rookie mistakes this year, the Giants will be in much better shape for next year. Playing Warner would be a step backwards, which is the wrong direction.

No, I didn't mean I thought Warner should have been starting. I thought they should have started Eli Manning from Week One. It just seemed they put him in a bad situation by deciding to throw Eli in there when they still had a statistical chance of making the play-off (even though you and I know they didn't). In my opinion it just made the last few weeks even harder.

And I've heard Warner say out of one side of his mouth that he knows Eli is the future, but then again today talk about how he didn't understand his benching, especially since they were in the play-off hunt.

I dunno, it just seems mis-handled to me. If Eli had gone in being the starter from the beginning, then nobody is expecting play-offs and blaming him when those chances went in the toilet.

Regardless, I'm just glad to see him rebound from last week's game against Baltimore.

Edited by CaptainHook