[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

any new on Willis McGahee?

radrguy

He injured his knee and was able to return briefly. But he did not feel the knee was 100% so he sat the rest of the game. The injury is not related to his previous one, but his status is in serious doubt for this week right now. If he can't play either Joe Burns or Shaud Williams will start.

What priority news on the home page is reporting is accurate. The only thing I can add for right now is that his test results will be released on Weds. He has a bruised and hyperextended knee, not the one he hurt in College. Some are saying on the radio that the Bills will take no chances with McGahee and he will be rested against the 49ers next Sun. In conclusion he is Doubtful

According to the Buffalo News, running back Willis McGahee will likely miss at least one week of action after spraining his right knee in Week 15 against the Cincinnati Bengals. "He came back and played with it," coach Mike Mularkey. "He just felt like it was not 100 percent and I didn't want to try it right now."

Looks like he'll sit a game, Buffalo should be able to manage without him against the lowly 49ers.

According to the Buffalo News, running back Willis McGahee will likely miss at least one week of action after spraining his right knee in Week 15 against the Cincinnati Bengals. "He came back and played with it," coach Mike Mularkey. "He just felt like it was not 100 percent and I didn't want to try it right now."

Looks like he'll sit a game, Buffalo should be able to manage without him against the lowly 49ers.

622921[/snapback]

Could mean a better week for Eric Moulds......

McGahee may miss time with knee injury

NFL.com wire reports

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (Dec. 20, 2004) -- Running back Willis McGahee has a hyperextended and bruised right knee that could prevent him from playing in Buffalo's game Dec. 26 at San Francisco.

Tests conducted Dec. 20 showed the injury is not more severe than initially feared, and indicated the running back will not require surgery, McGahee's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, told The Associated Press.

"It's great news," Rosenhaus said. "It's not something that will keep him out an extended period of time, but we don't know about this week. That's something they're going to have to determine later on in the week."

Coach Mike Mularkey would only list McGahee as day to day, declining to discuss the severity of the injury.

McGahee was hurt when he stumbled and landed awkwardly while catching a swing pass in the second quarter of Buffalo's 33-17 win at Cincinnati on Dec. 19. He returned for the start of the third quarter, getting five carries before sitting out the fourth quarter.

The good news is the injury is not to McGahee's left knee, the one he tore up in his final college outing for Miami in the Hurricanes' loss to Ohio State in the 2003 national championship game. That injury forced the first-round pick to miss his entire rookie season last year.

McGahee has played a pivotal role in the Bills' resurgence this season, helping them overcome an 0-4 start to climb back into AFC playoff contention. Buffalo (8-6) is 8-1 in games McGahee has started and won all six in which he's rushed for 100 yards.

The Bills' offensive backfield is already without backup Travis Henry, the former starter who's missed four games with a broken bone in his right leg. While the Bills have not provided a timetable for Henry's return, he's yet to practice since he was hurt in Buffalo's 38-9 win at Seattle.

Rookie free agent Shaud Williams is next on the depth chart, followed by third-year veteran Joe Burns, who's considered more of a blocking back. Williams had 11 carries for 30 yards filling in for McGahee against the Bengals.

Gregg Pastore, buffalobills.com

12/20/2004 4:45 PM

Head Coach Mike Mularkey updated Willis McGahee's health status on Monday, saying McGahee suffered a knee injury and his health status will be monitored daily this week.

"I think it's a day-to-day scenario, I really mean that," said Mularkey. "We're going to evaluate him each day and see how he comes along."

Buffalo's No. 2 back, Travis Henry, has been out for the past two weeks with a leg injury and it's unknown whether or not he'll be available to play this weekend in San Francisco if McGahee is sidelined.

"He's running more and more as we go and will probably get more work (Tuesday) than he has the last couple of weeks," said Mularkey. "We'll evaluate him after he gets some more work done."

I am not a Buffalo homer, but Mike Mularkey, when asked about if Shaud is going to be the starter due to their RB situation (paraphrased), said today that both Shaud Williams and Joe Burns worked today with the first team offense and "I think you'll get a dose of both of them". He also said that they would wait until later in the week to name the starter.

Based on the status of Willis and Travis, Mularkey also said that Dante Brown may get some action in the game if Willis and Travis can't go.

Source, go to the "Audio for Dec. 22 Mike Mularkey" near the upper right hand side. I didn't look for a transcript, sorry.

So still a murky situation it appears.

Now the rest is from the Bills message boards and should be taken with a grain of salt, but someone posted that Henry told the press he will not play this week and McGahee was feeling confident he would play against SF.

EDIT to correct the spelling of certain player's names.

Edited by Gunther

Man I hope that happens!  I need you one more week McGahee, for the love of Pete, just one more week!

627045[/snapback]

Went back to the Bills message board and saw someone had posted a link to an AP news release on ESPN's site regarding McGahee and Henry today.

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Associated Press

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Starter Willis McGahee and backup Travis Henry missed practice Wednesday, leaving the Bills' battered offensive backfield uncertain for Sunday's game at San Francisco.

Coach Mike Mularkey listed both running backs as questionable, saying they'll be evaluated on a daily basis.

McGahee bruised and hyperextended his right knee in Buffalo's 33-17 win at Cincinnati on Sunday. He was walking around the Bills' training facility without a limp Wednesday but did not make himself available to reporters.

In a telephone conference call with San Francisco-area reporters later in the day, McGahee said he was "pretty sure," when asked of his chances of playing against the 49ers.

"I just know that I've got to contribute," he said.

Henry has missed four games with torn ligaments in his right ankle and ruled himself out, adding he might not be ready to return unless the Bills make the playoffs.

"What do you want to talk to me for? I ain't playing," Henry said. "I'm still rehabbing."

Though he's feeling better, Henry said he had trouble pushing off when he tested his ankle earlier this week.

The injuries to McGahee and Henry come with the Bills (8-6) in the midst of a five-team race for the AFC's final two playoff berths. Buffalo closes out its season hosting Pittsburgh.

McGahee has played a key role in helping Buffalo overcome an 0-4 start since replacing Henry in October. The Bills are 8-1 in games McGahee's started and 6-0 when he's rushed for 100 yards.

For the Bills, the good news is McGahee didn't hurt his left knee, the one he tore up at Miami in the Hurricanes' loss to Ohio State in the 2003 national championship game. The injury forced the first-round pick to miss his entire rookie season.

If McGahee and Henry can't play, Mularkey said he'll go with Shaud Williams or Joe Burns.

Williams is an undrafted rookie free agent who's appeared in only two games. He has 24 carries for 72 yards and a touchdown.

Burns, a three-year veteran, has primarily been used as a blocking back. He has 20 carries for 73 yards in 14 games.

Edited by Gunther

Went back to the Bills message board and saw someone had posted a link to an ESPN article regarding McGahee and Henry today.

627052[/snapback]

So what do you make of this? If I were McGahee and I was being interviewed by my opponent's local paper, I would keep them guessing. Wouldn't you? I can only hope the mystery is solved by noon Sunday.

So what do you make of this?  If I were McGahee and I was being interviewed by my opponent's local paper, I would keep them guessing.  Wouldn't you?  I can only hope the mystery is solved by noon Sunday.

627060[/snapback]

I agree with your sentiments on McGahee making his comments.

But we also know players will say things like this and the coaches (or trainers) will not agree. Hopefully the mystery will get solved for those needing to know before their lineups are due this week.

Some of us need the mystery solved before the first game on Friday: :D

627109[/snapback]

Our league used to have a Thursday deadline, I'm so glad we got away from that. Now we are up to five minutes before any game's kickoff (if you had the players that could be switched around by then, that is).

Once the first game of the week starts then all the rosters get locked.  It usually effects the Monday night games the most, but this week we have Fri, Sat and Sun and Monday games too.

627444[/snapback]

I understand your situation. We started off with a Thursday lock, couple years later wondered what we were thinking and moved to Friday (any Thursday night players had to be locked by noon on Thursday at that time). But when we went to a web site to control lineups/scoring, we instantly moved to the one hour before kickoff deadline then five minutes the first year that was available.