[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Playoff Tie Question

Egret

Tonight ended the last game of the season before the championship game. I am the commish of the league. After tonight's game, both teams were in a tie. The league rules state:

"All ties will be broken based on NFL picks. If both teams

are even after the picks, it will be recorded as a tie. "

The teams tied on NFL picks. We can't have a tie in the playoffs. What to do?

Give the higher seeded team the win.

Give the team that won the game head-to-head in the regular season the win.

Advance both teams to the championship and have a three way steel cage match.

Making NFL picks is supposed to stop this from happening.

:hoppingmad:

What should I do?

Another vote for total bench points. Advancing both teams is unfair to the team already in the championship game -- he would have to beat 2 teams to win it all simply because someone screwed up and didn't plan for enough tiebreakers.

In the league I run, we use higher seed team getting the win in the event of a tie. However, since this was not defined previously you are in a major jam here no matter what the decision is. Even the 3-way tie is a bad deal to the guy who didn't tie who now has to beat 2 teams instead of one.

The fairest way I can see (since you like to use NFL Picks as tiebreakers) is to make the two tied guys pick the number of points in this coming Friday's GB/Min game as a tiebreaker (as blind bid) and also submit lineups. (And if they end up picking the same number of points, then ask them which team will score first, etc. until somebody picks something different from the other guy). Whoever wins that pick advances and the other guy is out and his lineup naturally voided.

Another option would be to award the win to whomever wishes to share more of his winnings with the commish. :D

I bet you'll have the rules updated before next season starts.

Good luck.

Edited by Itsnottatooma

Its simple.

2 tied teams avg starting score vs the other opponents score.

example

Team 1 and 2 are tied

team one scores 100 and team 2 scores 110 - avg score is 105

Team 3 advanced and must outscore 105 to win 1st, or gets second if he doesnt.

2 tied teams win, they split 1st and 3rd place money

2 tied teams lose, they split 2nd and 3rd place money

All parties involved should go for this, as there is no way reg season matters in the playoffs, and if one of the 2 tied teams lays an egg it helps the other guy, if both score high, they each probably outscore the other guy any way.

If you dont have set tiebreakers to determine this, something similar to this has to be used, as its not fair to leave either of tied teams out, and its not fair the other team has to beat 2 individual scores.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

In the league I run, we use higher seed team getting the win in the event of a tie.  However, since this was not defined previously you are in a major jam here no matter what the decision is.  Even the 3-way tie is a bad deal to the guy who didn't tie who now has to beat 2 teams instead of one.

The fairest way I can see (since you like to use NFL Picks as tiebreakers) is to make the two tied guys pick the number of points in this coming Friday's GB/Min game as a tiebreaker (as blind bid) and also submit lineups.  (And if they end up picking the same number of points, then ask them which team will score first, etc. until somebody picks something different from the other guy).  Whoever wins that pick advances and the other guy is out and his lineup naturally voided.

Another option would be to award the win to whomever wishes to share more of his winnings with the commish.  :D

I bet you'll have the rules updated before next season starts.

Good luck.

623453[/snapback]

Nice option. I like it.

I'll present that option.

Nice option.  I like it.

I'll present that option.

623477[/snapback]

Make sure you have something else as well as the total points scored. With your luck, one will pick 44, the other will pick 46 and there will be 45 points scored in the game. :D

We like the game to be decided by the players started.

So we do a H2H comparison of the highest player at each position awarding an additional point to the team that wins each comparison. So the guy with the highest scoring QB gets 1 point ... the guy with the highest scoring RB gets 1 point ... the guy with the highest scoring WR gets a point ... etc

Update. Both owners have been very, very cool. Since it's not in the bylaws already, I don't want to use something that is already pre-determined (bench scoring, top QB, efficiency, etc). I decided to put it up for a league vote with two different choices:

1) Make the two tied guys pick the number of points in this coming Friday's GB/Min game as a tiebreaker (as blind bid) and also submit lineups. (And if they end up picking the same number of points, then ask them which team will score first, etc. until somebody picks something different from the other guy). Whoever wins that pick advances and the other guy is out and his lineup naturally voided. (Thanks toomer).

2) Double Dare style Physcial Challenge. The two teams would have the option to choose the way to compete. Knowing these two guys, I'm sure a few beers would be involved.

Thanks for all of the ideas. I'll let you know how this turns out. Yes, we will be adapting the rules for next year. I would lean towards using whatever method gets adopted for this season.

Update.  Both owners have been very, very cool.  Since it's not in the bylaws already, I don't want to use something that is already pre-determined (bench scoring, top QB, efficiency, etc).  I decided to put it up for a league vote with two different choices:

1)  Make the two tied guys pick the number of points in this coming Friday's GB/Min game as a tiebreaker (as blind bid) and also submit lineups. (And if they end up picking the same number of points, then ask them which team will score first, etc. until somebody picks something different from the other guy). Whoever wins that pick advances and the other guy is out and his lineup naturally voided.  (Thanks toomer).

2)  Double Dare style Physcial Challenge.  The two teams would have the option to choose the way to compete.  Knowing these two guys, I'm sure a few beers would be involved.

Thanks for all of the ideas.  I'll let you know how this turns out.  Yes, we will be adapting the rules for next year.  I would lean towards using whatever method gets adopted for this season.

623777[/snapback]

Egret,

If Item 1 is chosen, make sure to have plan B in case their points chosen differ by an even number (in other words, there is a possibility of tie) - offer coin flip or other in case of a tie in the tiebreaker.

If Item 2 is chosen, I can visualize lots of fun for the whole league in watching:

- a hard boiled egg eating contest (as in Cool Hand Luke)

- Who can drink the most beer in 30 minutes without puking.

- etc. etc.

:D

I know that now.  Got any bright ideas?

623435[/snapback]

What is your scoring system?????

1 pt for every 10 yds rushing???? 87yds = 8 pts

If so try this, break it down to decimals yds rushing divided by 10. 87 yds = 8.7

Ties, when using decimals in scoring are highly unlikely!!!!!!

Edited by LiL10(s)ArEaJoKe

What is your scoring system?????

1 pt for every 10 yds rushing???? 87yds = 8 pts

If so try this, break it down to decimals yds rushing divided by 10.  87 yds = 8.7

Ties, when using decimals in scoring are highly unlikely!!!!!!

624066[/snapback]

That sounds like a very good idea to me, because it uses the existing scoring system (points for yards) and doesn't bring in some element that neither owner expected.