[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How did you get to your SB?

Grits and Shins

I didn't get there with the team I drafted that's for sure ... it was a combination of free agent acquisitions and trades.

I scooped Michael Clayton up off waivers after week 2 ... he didn't crack my starting lineup until week 6 ... but he's been in ever since.

I grabbed Buffalo off the wire after week 3 and have happily started them every week since ... my win this week to advance to the SB is in large part due to their awesome game this week.

I snagged Mewlede Moore just in time for week 6, Edge's off week and started him for 3 weeks ... the first 2 were good starts and the 3rd week I won despite his poor showing.

After week 7 I traded Sammy Morris (who had only been on my roster 2 weeks for Brett Favre. Owner had Culpepper and nobody would take Favre off his hands. Favre started every week for me except his bye week and last week (and I should have started him last week). This trade came just in time because my drafted QB, Pennington, went down shortly after (and it wasn't like he was lighting it up either).

After week 9 I traded Warrick Dunn and Eric Moulds for Willis McGahee and have paired McGahee with Edgerrin James since (with one minor exception ... I benched James in week 14 for Julius Jones). I also picked up Shane Graham this week to replace Feely.

After week 10 I traded Stephen Jackson to the Marshal Faulk owner for Jimmy Smith and this turned out to be VERY big for me this week!

My starting line up at the start of the year:

Pennington

James

Dunn or OSmith

Ward

Mason

Moulds

Feely

Dallas

My starting line up for the SB next week

Favre

James

JJones (McGahee hurt)

Mason

JSmith

Clayton (maybe Ward or Boldin but probably not)

Graham

Buffalo

I spent the 2nd most money on transaction fees ... but it got me to the big show!

How did you get to your SB? Was it with the team you drafted?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically didn;t do a whole lot to get to my Super Bowl...kind of backed in.

Got into the playoffs on a head-to-head tie breaker over the leagues top scorer (who I beat by 5 points in week 12 or so), then had a big week from unlikely WAS D (FA-week 13), T. Green (drafted), E. Kennison (FA - week 12) and F. Taylor (drafted) to carry me to a win in the semis this past week over the Manning owner who's been crushing our league.

Basically, I've been riding mediocre offensive output and picking the right defense each week between CHI, ATL and WAS to eke out wins in a VERY large money league. If I win this week vs. the team that has Brady, LT2, Tiki, M. Muhammed, S. Moss and L. Fitgerald, I win somthing like $4,500!!

Crazy hobby...

I rode Peyton Manning, Baltimore Defense, Corey Dillon, Rudi Johnson, and Chad Johnson big time in my dynasty league.

With Todd Heap and Anquan Boldin hurt most of the year, and complete busters like Stallworthless and KRob giving me grief for the #2 and 3 WR spots, it was touch and go for a while.

Its a pretty deep roster league, so no major waiver wire moves of note other than Brian Griese as a bye week filler for Manning which was nice.

I made several moves that helped me into the SB this season. It's a 12 team H2H league... Kind of standard scoring but we get a point per reception so it's a league with a mild weight towards pass catchers. I drafted Michael Clayton late and he's been a godsend all year long. A few weeks into the season I traded for Steve McNair which wasn't a great deal, but I grabbed Volek off the wires as a handcuff at the time, and he's been HUGE on the playoff run. Brad Johnson was my starting QB going into the season, but when he faltered I was second to the wires and got Brian Griese after someone else took Simms. Griese stabilized my QB issues and held things together for me until Volek started going nuts. This has been the year of the handcuff for me... Dominick Davis has been a pretty steady point guy, especially in a PPR league... but Mewelde Moore filled in very very nicely when Jamal Lewis was serving suspension time. The New York Jets defense and ST have also been a pleasant surprise. In a league where we subtract every point that the defense allows, having a solid unit is crucial to success. They've been steady, and with 7 second half shutouts to their credit, they've put me in the SB.

My SB starting lineup:

qb- Volek

rb- DD

rb- Jamal Lewis

wr- Javon Walker

wr- Eric Moulds

wr- Michael Clayton

wildcard- Santana Moss

wildcard- Griese/Bledsoe

k- Keading

d- NYJ

Not a whole lot of big changes for me, except due to injuries and suspensions I had to make due.

Starting Lineup first week:

Culpepper

Lewis

D. Davis

C. Johnson

Toomer

Owens

Akers

Chiefs

Most likely SB lineup

Culpepper

Lewis

J. Jones

C. Johnson

Clayton

Heap or Stokely

Akers

Bill

Week 8, Right before Lewis' suspension and when D. Davis was having trouble staying healthy I traded Toomer, Davis and Brady for Droughns and Stokely. Droughns has stayed in my lineup even this past week, Lewis will be replacing him for the SB. I drafted Chris Brown but when he couldn't stay healthy I picked up J. Jones the week before he came back. He has been a starter ever since his first game back. Plugged Clayton into my starting lineup around week 2 and he has been in there for the most part ever since. Will have to replace TO this week. Started with the Chiefs D, and stayed with them through the first 4 weeks. Then played the whoever goes against Mia. play for a while Picked up Buffalo in week Week 11 and have stuck with them since.

Line-up (Auction League):

Bulger

Maddox (back-up)

Faulk/Jackson

D.Davis

J.Jones (back-up)

Djax

Walker

S. Moss

Chambers (backup)

Longwell

Carolina

My deciding factor was picking up A. Gates & Jason Witton off of the waiver wire. We don't have to start a TE but these guys have been gold. I had to drop Julius early because we only have a 13 player roster includung Defense/ST. I picked him up again two weeks before he was due back. I had to substitute Chester Taylor in weeks 7 & 8 to cover my RB's byes. I also picked up Buffalo midseason. Sweet.

FInishing Line-up:

Bulger

Big Ben (BU)

D.Davis

J.Jones

Faulk/Jackson (BU)

Walker

Djax

Gates

Witten (BU)

Josh Brown

Buffalo

I finished the regular season as the first place team/division with the most points. The Bulger situation proved to be a challenge as it only left me Ben, but I had a week 14 bye and Ben had a decent week 15 (his best of the year). Mark Bulger, come on down!

A lot of luck and a boatload of swearing. Sometimes it works out. :D

Good question. This is in a 4-6 player keeper league (you have to forfeit draft picks to keep more than four)...

It all started last offseason when I traded Faulk for C-Mart. Many people were down on C-Mart for his diminishing TD numbers, but I liked his 1,300 yds and his ability to stay healthy.

I also traded Westbrook for Bruce in the offseason, since I really needed help at WR and already had Martin and LT.

Given that our league has so many keepers, there's less emphasis on the draft, but I did pick up some under-valued players there as well (Dunn, T. Jones, Jacksonville D).

My big trade this season was shipping off T. Jones and A-Train for Vick after Pennington went down. Vick had some good games for me and kept me afloat until Chad's shoulder healed.

I also made a good waiver wire pickup in Lee Evans and a good situational pickup last week (San Diego D).

This translated into one of my strongest fantasy teams ever. Starting lineup (with bench)...

Pennington (Vick)

LT, C-Mart (Dunn)

Holt, Evans, Ward (Bruce, Gardner, Witten, Heap, McCareins)

Longwell

Jacksonville D (San Diego D)

Edited by Bill Swerski

I Paid big $$ for #18 in my auction. He has won many games almost by himself. He has run away with the points title in my league.

He averages almost 30 pts. a game. I will need a huge day from him against the chargers...GO PEYTON!!

Kept Jamal, Dom, and Hines from last year.

Drafted or paid for Jimmy Smith, O. Smith, Clayton, Moulds, Pats and Broncos "D" Picked up Chester Taylor off WW.

Picked up Burleson when Moss went down. Have had rotating kickers all year. M. Anderson and now L. Tynes...GO KC score lots of points!!

All to amass a record of 11-4. Playing the the Fantasy bowl vs.

Culpepper, Alexander, Portis, R. Wayne, R. Smith, McCareins, Bills "D"

Bucs "D", Longwell or J. Brown.

I am the UNDERDOG FOR SURE!!!

Third year in a keeper league where we keep our starters.

QB Culpepper

RB Portis

RB Tomlinson

WR Chad Johnson

WR Santana Moss/Clayton/Stallworth

TE Crumpler/Shockey

D/ST Hotlanta

K Vinatieri

Lots of trades over the past few years. I traded Edge and Horn to get Portis at the beginning of last year. This year I traded McGahee for Crumpler the week before he was named the starter. This is my third straight championship game. There's already plenty of grumbling about no longer being a keeper league.

I'm in the conference championship game this weekend in another league, but I don't want to jinx myself so I won't post it.

I had a pretty decent draft:

Edgerrin James at 1.8 is the 5th ranked RB in my league and has been consistent all year. Daunte Culpepper at 2.3 is the #2 QB and, other than a slump midseason when Moss was out, has given me big points all year long, including week 1 of the playoffs last week.

Chad Johnson at 3.8 is the 9th ranked WR. After starting slow, he had 5 TD in 4 games from weeks 11-14 and helped me hang on to the #1 seed at the end of the regular season. Thomas Jones at 4.3 has been a disappointment as the #22 RB but was super the first 3 weeks with 4 TD and 450 total yards and helped me get off to a 3-0 start.

Ty Wheatley at 5.8 didn't do much. I traded him around week 5 for Lav Coles who wasn't much better.

Chris Chambers at 6.3 and Lee Suggs at 7.8 were both pretty useless but I more than made up for it by picking Tiki Barber at 8.3. I ended up trading Barber straight up for Randy Moss when Moss got hurt. That (and the coinciding Culpepper slump) cost me a couple games midseason but made me stronger and more balanced for the playoffs.

My only significant FA pickups were around week 10 when I grabbed Julius Jones and Eddie Kennison and a week or so later after playing defensive roulette with the waiver wire I finally settled on Buffalo.

Josh Brown at 9.8 was probably a little high for a kicker but I like the kid, he's been solid, the #9 kicker even though Seattle has been disappointing. And he plays in the dome so he is a safe late-season play.

Other good late picks were Michael Clayton at the 13.8 who has provided good depth at WR and Jason Witten in the 14.3 who has been my startin TE since around midseason when Daniel Graham, 12.3, stopped producing.

Mostly the team I drafted with a few key acquisitions to fill in for injuries and byes.

I drafted:

I added M.Pittman in week 3. He has been a horse for me, filling in for my drafted RB's C.Brown and D.Davis during various injuries. Now I need him to be big one more week since C.Brown is done.

I drafted R.Moss and Moulds at WR, but got some good play out of Reche Caldwell (FA wk.3) early on and ended the season on the strength of E. Kennison , who I picked up in wk. 11, while Moss was absent.

Finally, although I drafted ATL D, which has served me well, including this past weekend, I also got some key play out of CIN D who I drafted in week 10. I’ve never made a trade in my 5 seasons of FF.

I didn’t think I would go very far in the playoffs, but all my players have been heating up. I hope it lasts one more week.

Now that C.Brown packed it up for the year, I’ve been able to pick up Volek in time for the SB. My QB play has been mediocre all year with Carr and Bulger.

Edited by tev

Drafted and then Rode:

Peyton

Drafted:

J. Walker

J. Witten

Traded for:

D. McAllister

M. Harrison

Then traded Harrison for R. Moss

Picked Up:

J. Jones

and then got really lucky when Rodney Harrison didn't score 6 points last night.

Because despite all of the Draft Startegy, Trading Strategy, WW Strategy and yes, even the argument about strategy with Grits (sorry again for my part in that Grits) had Harrison scored 2.5 more points last night I would have gotten knocked out of the Playoffs.

It's amazing that it could come down to the 2 Tackles and 1 Assist that didn't happen in week 15. :D

Edited by Jrick35

I made several moves that helped me into the SB this season.  It's a 12 team H2H league... Kind of standard scoring but we get a point per reception so it's a league with a mild weight towards pass catchers.  I drafted Michael Clayton late and he's been a godsend all year long.  A few weeks into the season I traded for Steve McNair which wasn't a great deal, but I grabbed Volek off the wires as a handcuff at the time, and he's been HUGE on the playoff run.  Brad Johnson was my starting QB going into the season, but when he faltered I was second to the wires and got Brian Griese after someone else took Simms.  Griese stabilized my QB issues and held things together for me until Volek started going nuts.  This has been the year of the handcuff for me... Dominick Davis has been a pretty steady point guy, especially in a PPR league... but Mewelde Moore filled in very very nicely when Jamal Lewis was serving suspension time.  The New York Jets defense and ST have also been a pleasant surprise.  In a league where we subtract every point that the defense allows, having a solid unit is crucial to success.  They've been steady, and with 7 second half shutouts to their credit, they've put me in the SB.     

My SB starting lineup:

qb- Volek

rb- DD

rb- Jamal Lewis

wr- Javon Walker

wr- Eric Moulds

wr- Michael Clayton

wildcard- Santana Moss

wildcard- Griese/Bledsoe

k- Keading

d- NYJ

623771[/snapback]

We also award points for receptions, it was our first year to do so ... my draft went:

Edge at 1.06 and then THREE WRs in a row ... a definite first for me .. I've ALWAYS had 2 RBs after 5 rounds.

Ward at 2.07

Mason at 3.06 (big in a league that gives points for receptions)

Moulds at 4.07

Ward was doing okay until about week 10 ... week 10 on he has sucked with the exception of weeks 13 and 15.

I started with Brooks, Rudi, Portis, Dunn, Moulds, McMichael and Akers, but added Buffalo D, Clayton, TJ, Larry Johnson, Volek, and McCardell to get there. Volek and Clayton have been huge lately.

Playing a Colts team with Bettis as RB this week. Have a decent shot if Volek holds on.

He is playing

Peyton Manning, QB IND vs SDC

Jerome Bettis, RB PIT vs BAL

Donald Driver, WR GBP at MIN

Marvin Harrison, WR IND vs SDC

Reggie Wayne, WR IND vs SDC

Marcus Pollard, TE IND vs SDC

Ryan Longwell, PK GBP at MIN

New York Giants, DT NYG at CIN

I had a pretty decent draft:

Edgerrin James at 1.8 is the 5th ranked RB in my league and has been consistent all year.  Daunte Culpepper at 2.3 is the #2 QB and, other than a slump midseason when Moss was out, has given me big points all year long, including week 1 of the playoffs last week.

Chad Johnson at 3.8 is the 9th ranked WR.  After starting slow, he had 5 TD in 4 games from weeks 11-14 and helped me hang on to the #1 seed at the end of the regular season.  Thomas Jones at 4.3 has been a disappointment as the #22 RB but was super the first 3 weeks with 4 TD and 450 total yards and helped me get off to a 3-0 start.

Ty Wheatley at 5.8 didn't do much.  I traded him around week 5 for Lav Coles who wasn't much better.

Chris Chambers at 6.3 and Lee Suggs at 7.8 were both pretty useless but I more than made up for it by picking Tiki Barber at 8.3.  I ended up trading Barber straight up for Randy Moss when Moss got hurt.  That (and the coinciding Culpepper slump) cost me a couple games midseason but made me stronger and more balanced for the playoffs.

My only significant FA pickups were around week 10 when I grabbed Julius Jones and Eddie Kennison and a week or so later after playing defensive roulette with the waiver wire I finally settled on Buffalo.

Josh Brown at 9.8 was probably a little high for a kicker but I like the kid, he's been solid, the #9 kicker even though Seattle has been disappointing.  And he plays in the dome so he is a safe late-season play.

Other good late picks were Michael Clayton at the 13.8 who has provided good depth at WR and Jason Witten in the 14.3 who has been my startin TE since around midseason when Daniel Graham, 12.3, stopped producing.

623811[/snapback]

I also drafted Wheatley ... he only started 2 weeks for me ... week 1 (where I learned my lesson) and week 9 with Warrick Dunn off.

league 1..... injuries to duce allowing bettis to be my third rb along with tiki and sean( you can start 3).. picking up the Bills D has also been a bg boom in points.

league 2.. picked up collins and kennison in week 12 and they have carried me into the finals... injuies to jones and owens last week also helped me get in...

Boldin almost killed me this week ... with Mason's uncertain status I sat Mason for Boldin and his attractive matchup :doah:

623854[/snapback]

I did the same thing, I had a choice between Boldin against St. Louis or Javon Walker against JAX so I sat Walker (16+) and started Boldin (4+) but like I said held on to win by 2.55 points.

I did the same thing, I had a choice between Boldin against St. Louis or Javon Walker against JAX so I sat Walker (16+) and started Boldin (4+) but like I said held on to win by 2.55 points.

623863[/snapback]

I benched Favre (20+) against JAX so I could start Griese (7+) against NO :doah:

We need to stop benching our GB players.

My starting line up at the start of the year:

Pennington

James

Dunn or OSmith

Ward

Mason

Moulds

Feely

Dallas

My starting line up for the SB next week

Favre

James

JJones (McGahee hurt)

Mason

JSmith

Clayton (maybe Ward or Boldin but probably not)

Graham

Buffalo

623738[/snapback]

My start of the year:

McNair (Brady)

M Faulk

C Martin

T Owens

R Moss

A Johnson

Feely

Cowboys

Now:

Brees (plummer)

C Martin

K Jones (Larry Johnson) but also had C. Tayolor and D Blaylock along the way

R Moss

E Kennison (T Owens until now)

J Porter (still have A Johnson and R Williams)

S Graham (plenty of others - always play the matchups)

Eagles D (plenty of others - always play the matchups)

:D