[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It is unethical to split the SB pot?

reddogs2020

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it really depends on what kind of person you are. Are you a risk taker or do you prefer the safe approach?

I really don't think ethics has anything to do with it. It is purely a monetary decision. I would never make the offer, but if his matchups are better and you think it is a better deal for you, go for it.

Why would it be unethical? You 2 are the last 2 left standing and if you choose to simply split the money that's your decision. It has NO impact on anybody else in your league.

The first time I was in the SB my opponent made the same offer. I told him no way ... I wanted to win it all. No bragging rights if you split the pot ... its like kissing your sister.

I work to hard to get to the SB not to take a risk an win it all ... for the glory of it.

It depends on how confident you re that you will win. What are your matchups? Did you get to this game through luck or a good team? If you think you'll win don't, if you think you'll lose split it.

Since he wants to split it he may think you have the better team.

Very lame.  Fantasy Football is more about bragging rights than it is for the money isn't it?  That's why I play.  I play my brother this weekend for the Fantasy Bowl and if he asked me for the deal I'd tell him to F off.

624417[/snapback]

I am splitting the pot because I get a large sum of money right before Christmas - perfect timing. We made a $50 side bet and we have bragging rights, but the large sum of money will be split 50/50 as opposed to 80/20.

Whoever thinks it is unethical is an idiot. Why would they care what other people do?

This comes down to risk assessment to me. In an Antsports $100 league the winner gets $420 and the 2nd place $150.

Together the pot is $570 which would mean a split of $285.

You already have $150 in your pocket no matter what. So you are risking giving up an extra $270 for a sure $135. 2-1.

I wouldn't do it unless it was a much larger amount of money. The risk /reward is just too low.

Thanks for all the responses. Perhaps my use of the term 'unethical' was wrong. This is our seventh year. Neither of us has ever won it, but we have both been to the SB once before. My team is:

B.Volek

L.Tomlinson

A.Green

M.Harrison

C.Johnson

D.Driver

J.Taylor

Miami

His team is:

D.Culpepper

M.Pittman

McGahee's backup

R.Moss

T.Holt

D.Mason

J.Wilkins

Philly

The winner takes home 75%, loser 25% (Pot is at around $2,000).

For me, it's all about the title. That said, if I can't have the title I want more than the allotted 25%.

I think I'm going to do it, lame or not. If I win, I lose around $500 but I get bragging rights in the offseason and the ring to flash at next year's draft. If I lose, I gain around $500. It's win-win.

Sorry to here that, FF is all about the competition, you never give up ever. By splitting the pot you're showing it doesn't matter whether you win or lose as long as you get your money. F%$k the money, win the game. I've had that same offer a few times, and no it's not unethical, just shows somewhere along the line you lost all testicular fortitude.

Edited by jgcoach

Some of you apparently think that by taking this deal I am totally giving up. Nothing could be further from the truth. I want to win more than anything -- not for the money, but for the title. If I lose, however, I envision the added money I will receive in light of this deal will help to soothe the pain from the loss. Like I said, win-win.

It's official...I'm a Rosie O'Donnell...

624512[/snapback]

NO, i DON'T THINK IT'S UNETHICAL EITHER. You are taking a sure thing at Christmas. Enjoy it but i think you have a good shot at winning the 75%.

If you lose you'll be happy you got the extra $500, if you win you will miss the extra cash.

If I lose, however, I envision the added money I will receive in light of this deal will help to soothe the pain from the loss.  Like I said, win-win.

624586[/snapback]

I see your point but I would still not do this deal. Making a deal like this would totally diminish the intensity on gameday. There's nothing like playing in the championship game with all the money, and the bragging rights on the line. I lost our championship game last year and I have no regrets about losing the money to the better team on that day. Too bad I got knocked out in the first round this year. :D