[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Marty Shotenheimer

40Rocket

Looks like Marty Shi*enheimer chokes again.Lets run three plays up the middle and settle for a long field goal.Shi*enheimer will probaly fire the kicker like he did in KC. :D  :D  B)  :D  :D

647320[/snapback]

Actually, the last play LT2 went to the right, placing the ball on the right hash mark. What was interesting (or frustrating, depending on your point of view) was that Kaeding kicked the ball like he was directly in front of the goal posts.

Edited by Gunther

Marty reverted back to his old 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust self. His super-conservative approach one again bit him in the a$s. Just as he kept a lot of very good KC teams from advancing in the playoffs, he decided to let a rookie kicker try to win the game on a 40 yard field goal on a wet field.

Why not trust Brees to throw a swing pass to LT2 or hit Gates on something short to set up a much easier field goal?

And, for the record, I was saying the same thing before the FG attempt. He is a terrible post-season coach & has a 5-12 post-season record for a good reason.

As I was watching last night all I could think was: this looks REALLY familiar.

647402[/snapback]

Oh yeah, all that was missing was the red uniforms.

The offense was moving. The kicker was a rookie that had a few really rough games this year. Marty is a good coach. But he just cannot understand the concept of putting your weight on someones throat when you have them down.

Marty runs a play action on first down in that situation, and shoots a pass to Gates up the middle, he probably walks in.

But Marty is Marty. I think he actually has a kind of self loathing and fear of success.

A professional kicker should make a 40 yard fg.wet field or not

647473[/snapback]

But there was no need for him to be put in that position. The offense was moving the ball with ease through the air, and Marty's defense was playing well enough to stop the Jets if they got in INT. Balls to the wall is the only way to play in this league.

But there was no need for him to be put in that position.  The offense was moving the ball with ease through the air, and Marty's defense was playing well enough to stop the Jets if they got in INT.  Balls to the wall is the only way to play in this league.

647499[/snapback]

Absolutely. Wet field, OT of a playoff game, and let's just lay everything at the foot of our rookie kicker - uhhhh, no.

Amazingly, I actually agreed with Madden saying he thought they should have taken a shot at the end zone.

I still have nightmares of FSU losing a game to the Canes a couple years ago in the exact same fashion - "settling" for a 40-yard FG like it's a gimme. For FSU NO FG is a gimme!!!!

Two things went wrong in that final drive:

1) Marty's conservative play calling and his reliance on a rookie kicker making a 40 yard FG under pressure conditions on a slick field.

2) Kaeding missing the FG.

I still have a hard time believing it really went down that way! :D

Edited by Chargerz

But there was no need for him to be put in that position.  The offense was moving the ball with ease through the air, and Marty's defense was playing well enough to stop the Jets if they got in INT.  Balls to the wall is the only way to play in this league.

647499[/snapback]

Great point, rattsass...I was also surprised how conservative they became. But Kaeding still should have been able to get the job done as whomper mentioned.

Two things went wrong in that final drive:

1) Marty's conservative play calling and his reliance on a rookie kicker making a 40 yard FG under pressure conditions on a slick field.

2) Kaeding missing the FG.

647549[/snapback]

That about sums it up. What I (and others apparently) don't get is Marty crawling into his "conservative" shell at the very end, with the best chance to win it presumably dangling just a few more yards closer to the NYJ goal line ... especially after putting the game almost totally in Brees' hands for most of the day.

Tough way for the Bolts to end a nice season.

Well to label this a Charger/Shotty choke the overtime IMO not be the key....Jets for all intense purposes won it in regulation with the exception of a Barton personal foul on the 4th down play that gave Chargers another four downs, eventually hitting Gates for the tying TD...

Play selection there tells the story and running LT wasn't seen...crazy pass patterns by the WR's during that series....no screen to LT...no 4-6 yd pass to Gates....Marty avoided the very players and plays that got them through most the season...Sh*tty was choking then and would have choked and "never" seen the OT if not for the stupidest play by Barton I have seen dating back to the Cleveland "helmet" at the end of the game situation....I don't know what Barton's contract is...but he won't be a J-E-T next year IMO....Chargers choked the entire game.... :D

I guess I'm in the very minority here. I wonder what would be said here on Sunday if the ball was intercepted in the endzone? Hindsight is 20/20 guys.

Who gives a crap if the guy is a rookie?! What? Did he not play the entire season? Did he just get called up from NFL-Europe or something?

I guess something could be said that it was wrong to trust the OL in 3 straight plays to get you SEVERAL yards? 1-10, -1 yd. 2-11, no gain. 3-11, 1 yd. I'm sure Schotty was expecting 3-5 yds in those 3 plays.

I have no qualms with the play-calling. I have qualms with the execution.

When you abandon the playbook that got you therE you deserve to lose. With field conditions the way they were a 30 yard FG was not a given (as both kickers had already demonstrated). You absolutely have to try to get a first down there instead of being content to try the 40+ yarder with bad field conditions.

I put that loss on Shotenheimer.

Edited by Grits and Shins

....I don't know what Barton's contract is...but he won't be a J-E-T next year IMO....Chargers choked the entire game.... :D

648064[/snapback]

Barton was an off-season free agent acquistion and has been a big reason for the turnaround of the Jets defense, especially the run defense. I'd be shocked if he is not back next year. One dumb play, no matter how dumb (and they don't get any dumber than that one), does not negate an entire season of excellent linebacker play.

Agree with the majority that Marty's coaching was highly questionable at best. jets' defense was reeleing and had been on the field for close to an hour of real time between the end of regulation and that first OT drive...and Brees was passing at will. To settle for the 40-yarder on that field was shocking to me. Thank you Marty! :D

Marty reverted back to his old 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust self. His super-conservative approach one again bit him in the a$s.

647363[/snapback]

Memories of the '86 AFC Championship game. :D

I think that Marty did the right thing on SD's last drive. Light rain is not an excuse for an NFL kicker missing a 40-yd FG. Kaeding has to make that kick.