[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

GB Pack

Logans Heroes

I'll bite and give you my opinion on what they need to address, but let me also say this, they shouldn't draft for need and draft the best player available. The perfect example is Buffalo drafting McGahee.

DL- They need a legitimate pass rusher on the DL, KGB is decent, but wears down too quickly as an every down player. I would love someone like Kevin Williams at DT.

LB- A true run stuffing MLB would be ideal and move Barnett outside. I am thinking of someone along the lines of Earl Holmes, Jeremiah Trotter.

DB- They need a safety that can actually hit someone and make sure that player remembers they hit them/can stuff the run. Sharper is soft and the other S spot was a disaster. Someone like Taylor or R Williams would be nice, or if I can dream Brian Dawkins. I do like Carroll and think he was picked on this year.

OL- They need to resign Mike Wahle and then make sure they have depth since they will probably lose Rivera.

QB- They have to address because Favre isn't going to play forever, I am hoping for at least one more year.

KR/WR- If possible find a 4th/5th WR that can also return kicks with some game-breaking ability.

Men in tights- I agree about the KR, Chatman is a bust and does nothing special. Bring in at least two guys to legitimately compete with him.

Before you get too wrapped up in the 'draft Favre's replacement' mentality, remember that no 1st round draft pick QB has won a Super Bowl with his original team since Aikman in 96. As much as I hate Dallassss and respect Brady's Pats, I don't think the 04 or 05 Pats could beat the 94 or 96 cowboys.

Again, Brady is a 5th rd pick too. Just get a 'capable' QB with a strong line, running game and D around him. That's how an aged Elway won Super Bowls. This is how an aged Favre could win another ring or two, but we've completely ignored the D for the past 5 years.

Men in tights- I agree about the KR, Chatman is a bust and does nothing special.  Bring in at least two guys to legitimately compete with him.

Before you get too wrapped up in the 'draft Favre's replacement' mentality, remember that no 1st round draft pick QB has won a Super Bowl with his original team since Aikman in 96.  As much as I hate Dallassss and respect Brady's Pats, I don't think the 04 or 05 Pats could beat the 94 or 96 cowboys. 

Again, Brady is a 5th rd pick too.  Just get a 'capable' QB with a strong line, running game and D around him.  That's how an aged Elway won Super Bowls.  This is how an aged Favre could win another ring or two, but we've completely ignored the D for the past 5 years.

663235[/snapback]

I don't want to imply they need to draft a QB in the first round, but I would like them to keep it in the back of their minds in the 3rd and on. I don't know about JT O'Sullivan, but like you said about the OL, running game, and defense, a decent QB could do well.

Not to mention throwing to Walker, Driver, Ferguson, Green, and maybe Bubba (if they resign him) doesn't hurt.

The first area of need is defense.

First is a new coaching staff in that area.

Next is a every-down DE. As KGB is more of a pass rusher that a run stopper and Kampman is more of a situational player than a every-down player. Then at DT, they were still drafting busts to back up Grady Jackson, so hopefully Thompson can draft a more capable DT.

At LB, there are 2 capable LBs in Barnett and Diggs. Need 1 more to replace Navies. Not too worried about position as he could directly replace Navies or shift Barnett to that area.

DB - needs work, some of which can be done with coaching. Then the priority is to get someone to replace Roman.

Offense. My top priority is to add depth at WR, as they were thin there and finally exposed in that area. A WR that could return kicks would be a plus.

Next is draft a mid-to-late rould OL to help replace the likely departure of Wahle or Rivera.

Then draft a potential sucessor to Favre - and this does not need to be a top pick.

Most comfortable at RB and its depth.

Edited by Big John

Next is a every-down DE.  As KGB is more of a pass rusher that a run stopper and Kampman is more of a situational player than a every-down player.  Then at DT, they were still drafting busts to back up Grady Jackson, so hopefully Thompson can draft a more capable DT.

At LB, there are 2 capable LBs in Barnett and Diggs.  Need 1 more to replace Navies.  Not too worried about position as he could directly replace Navies or shift Barnett to that area.

DB - needs work, some of which can be done with coaching.  Then the priority is to get someone to replace Roman.

Offense.  My top priority is to add depth at WR, as they were thin there and finally exposed in that area.  A WR that could return kicks would be a plus.

Next is draft a mid-to-late rould OL to help replace the likely departure of Wahle or Rivera.

Then draft a potential sucessor to Favre - and this does not need to be a top pick.

Most comfortable at RB and its depth.

663319[/snapback]

I'd put the status of the line before the WRs. The loss of Wahle and Rivera could be devastating to the continuity of that line while Driver and Walker will still be the starters. The health of the WR corps obviously depends on how well/if Ferguson can return. For as much as the Pack likes to pull guards on runs and to send one out with Brett on roll-outs, we need to address that first.

I'd put the status of the line before the WRs.  The loss of Wahle and Rivera could be devastating to the continuity of that line while Driver and Walker will still be the starters.  The health of the WR corps obviously depends on how well/if Ferguson can return.  For as much as the Pack likes to pull guards on runs and to send one out with Brett on roll-outs, we need to address that first.

663527[/snapback]

I don't know about that; read yesterday that depending on how it plays out, Scott Wells could take over at C and Flanagan would move to G. That also leaves backups Kevin Barry (who sadly doesn't seem to add much outside of the U-71 package), Steve Morley, and Brennan Curtin.

Another option would be to move Tauscher inside and put Kevin Barry at RT.

OL depth is probably the LEAST of my concerns with GB.

Next is a every-down DE.  As KGB is more of a pass rusher that a run stopper and Kampman is more of a situational player than a every-down player.  Then at DT, they were still drafting busts to back up Grady Jackson, so hopefully Thompson can draft a more capable DT.

I agree. Even granting that Sherman isn't necessarily the best judge of talent, I'd like to see some top-flight DL coach get in there and try to:

a) light a fire under Hunt; you can see the talent when he puts forth an effort. Doesn't happen often enough

:D develop some of the young DLs sitting on the roster and mainly taking up space - if you can shake a starter/top backup (or hopefully two) out of James Lee, Kenny Peterson, Colin Cole, and Corey Williams (edit: forgot to add in Donnell Washington), your rotation just got a boatload better

c) find some way to maximize Cullen Jenkins playing time

At LB, there are 2 capable LBs in Barnett and Diggs.  Need 1 more to replace Navies.  Not too worried about position as he could directly replace Navies or shift Barnett to that area.

I'm a big fan of shifting Diggs back to SLB, Barnett to WLB, and getting some big, nasty, slobber-covered badass to patrol the middle. Navies needs to be at best a backup and they should just give up on Torrance Marshall - though perhaps a new coach/scheme might find some way to tap his ability.

DB - needs work, some of which can be done with coaching.  Then the priority is to get someone to replace Roman.

Yeah, poor tackling and avoiding pass interference ARE things that can be broken (or at least improved) with decent coaching - perhaps one of the bigger indictments of Slowik and Schottenheimer is that the DBs seemed to stand pat and even regress as the season went on.

One thing I'd like for the Pack to get their mitts on IS a game-breaking KR/PR; Chatman is dependable but just doesn't seem to have that knack for breaking the big return; if there's one thing that the StL/Atl game reminded me, it's how big of a weapon a top-flight return man can be.

Edited by Chavez

Oh, and if Ted Thompson doesn't lean on Sherman to get, say, Jim Bates (the ONLY time the Dolphins have been out of the top 10 defenses in yards or scoring since he joined the team in 2000 were 11th in pts in '01, 11th in yds in '03, and 20th in pts this year, which I'm willing to call an aberration due to the fact their offense was a pathetic turnover machine), it's time to march on the Lambeau Field Atrium.

Well Schottenheimer is out and guess who could get the job: Lionel Washington. The guy who got passed over last offseason leading to McKenzie's holdout and subsequent trade. :D

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_19509607.shtml

I really think Sherman should go out and get an established guy like Bates and let him assemble the defensive staff, because he doesn't appear to have a clue when it comes to that side of the ball.

Well Schottenheimer is out and guess who could get the job:  Lionel Washington.  The guy who got passed over last offseason leading to McKenzie's holdout and subsequent trade.  :D

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_19509607.shtml

I really think Sherman should go out and get an established guy like Bates and let him assemble the defensive staff, because he doesn't appear to have a clue when it comes to that side of the ball.

664232[/snapback]

Abso freakin' lutely (Special, you should get that one).