[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pedro recruiting Sosa

juanruiz13

It's nice to see him trying to get some players over to NY, but I am NOT a fan of Sosa.  I don't think he'll add anything to the team.  But it would be nice to get a hold of Delgado, even though his defense is awful.  Well, just like every first baseman on the Mets. 

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3339562

663262[/snapback]

In the case of Sosa, I don't think the absolute emphasis is on adding anything to the team on the field. He'll draw fans to the stands and handle the interview circuit so Beltran doesn't have to. Sosa's got even more charisma than he does cork in his bat and juice in his system -- New York would be a great place for him. Personally, I'm tired of his shtick, but Minaya seems convinced that demographics are the key to the Mets success, so have at it.

In the case of Sosa, I don't think the absolute emphasis is on adding anything to the team on the field.

665965[/snapback]

Minaya and the Mets also desperately want to part ways with Cliff Floyd...he'd most likely go to the Cubs in any deal for Sosa.

As far as Delgado, looks like the Mets have a real shot to sign him, and we should know that outcome soon enough...this article says the Mets have matched or exceeded the Rangers offer and Delgado is expected to make his decision within the next 48 hours as to where he will sign.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1973076

I'm a Yankee fan, but you have to give Minaya and the Mets some credit for their aggressiveness this off-season...they've added Pedro, Beltran and possibly Delgado. If they get Delgado and Reyes can stay healthy, you're looking at a lineup something like:

SS - Jose Reyes

2B - Kaz Matsuii

CF - Carlos Beltran

1B - Carlos Delgado

C - Mike Piazza

3B - David Wright

LF - Cliff Floyd

RF - Mike Cameron

...and a staff of:

Pedro Martinez

Tom Glavine

Kris Benson

Victor Zambrano

Steve Trachsel

I think if they can stay healthy and add a little bit more bullpen help, they could make a serious run in the NL.

Delgado will sign with Texas.

668691[/snapback]

Quite possible, as he is probably best suited to be a DH. He's also played his entire career in the AL and Arlington is a much better park to hit in than Shea. Still, I think the bottom line will come down to whoever offers the most dinero, and the Mets appear determined to overspend to get their guys this year. I also can't help but ask why Texas is so interested in him anyhow, they already have a ton of guys who can hit the long-ball, what they really need is some pitching. :D

Texas farm system is loaded with young pitchers who are suppose to get looks this yr. Texas also needs a cleanup hitter in the middle of that order.

Young

Soriano

Blaylock

Delgado

Texiera

Delagado would be well protected hitting in front of and behind Blaylock and Tex. Also Tex is a Scott Boras client who is due to hit the market in 2007, and Texas will not deal with him in a contract yr, and only resign him if he is locked up in the next 12 months or they might trade him for pitching. Seattle was after Tex for SPs Freddy Garcia and Joel Pinero and Texas turned them down. I still think that was foolish as those 2 are young and have live arms.

Texas farm system is loaded with young pitchers who are suppose to get looks this yr.  Texas also needs a cleanup hitter in the middle of that order.

Young

Soriano

Blaylock

Delgado

Texiera

668875[/snapback]

I didn't realize they had a lot of pitching prospects, but we both know that prospects are a 50-50 bet to pan out at best. There was a ton of decent free-agent starting pitchers this off-season too, I can't believe that Texas didn't make a push for any of them. That one kid they have who took the comebacker to the elbow last year, he did look pretty good though, Ricardo Rodriguez or something like that I believe.

While I'm sure most teams would love to have a hitter like Delgado batting cleanup for them, don't you think it is somewhat odd that a team that doesn't have a lot of money to spend is trying to land a high-priced, poor fielding hitter like Delgado when they already are stacked with power? Besides the guys you've already mentioned, they also have guys like Kevin Mench and Lance Nix plus they've already signed Richard Hidalgo this off-season. They also reportedly have shopped Soriano because they are concerned with having to pay him, but clearly Delgado will come at an even higher price.

Seattle was after Tex for SPs Freddy Garcia and Joel Pinero and Texas turned them down.  I still think that was foolish as those 2 are young and have live arms.

Wow, how long ago was that? Did they offer both those guys or just one or the other? Either way I'd have to agree with you, both of those guys are great young arms, much harder to find than a slugger, even one as good as Texeira (I think that Pineiro messed up his arm last year though, but that was unforseeable).

Edited by Skrappy1

Delgado will sign with Texas.

Where he stated over and over he wanted to play, but the money wasnt right.  Its is now, he will be the DH for the Rangers

668691[/snapback]

Well, I guess the Mets chances to land Delgado just took a big step up...I just read that the Rangers withdrew their offer to Delgado tonight. They wanted him to DH but he wants to play 1B. Here's a link:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3347280

Rangers drop out of Delgado hunt

NEW YORK (AP) - The Texas Rangers abruptly withdrew Sunday night from the competition to sign Carlos Delgado, leaving the New York Mets, Baltimore and Florida as the remaining bidders for the free-agent first baseman.

Delgado's agent, David Sloane, said the Rangers told him on Sunday afternoon that if Delgado signed with Texas, he probably would be a designated hitter most of the time.

"From the first conversation with the Texas Rangers, we made it crystal clear that Carlos Delgado had no interest in being a full-time DH," Sloane said. "If we had 25 conversations with the Texas Rangers, we were told in 24 of those that the question of him playing first base was no issue. Earlier today, we were told that is changing and that 75 percent of his at-bats, should he choose to sign with the Texas Rangers, would come as a DH.

"After three months of negotiations, we were given less than five hours to tell them yes or no, to make a decision that affects not only the rest of Carlos Delgado's baseball career, but the rest of his life."

All four teams have proposed four-year deals to Delgado, although it wasn't known if all four years were guaranteed by all teams. Rangers owner Tom Hicks met with Delgado in Puerto Rico and offered a $48 million, four-year contract.

"Over the last few days, Tom Hicks and the organization reached out and made a very strong offer to Carlos Delgado," Texas general manager John Hart said. "We had a great meeting with Carlos on Friday where we exceeded the limits of our initial proposal. As of this evening, however, we could not get a commitment from him, so we are withdrawing from discussions with him.

"He is a quality individual, but we want to continue to be committed with our young players and development plan. We have a first baseman in Mark Teixeira and other young players that we do not want to disrupt with potential position changes. Tom Hicks is not, and was not, afraid to spend money to add players like Carlos to our club."

Hicks implied that the Rangers didn't want Delgado to use their offer as a springboard.

'We were clear that we were giving it our best shot Friday at the meeting. Others have now raised their offers, which is why we insisted on a deadline late this afternoon," he said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "We called them this morning to clarify that our interest in Carlos was restricted to him being a DH for 60-70 percent of the time, since we already have a great, young first baseman in Mark Teixeira."

Earlier Sunday, Sloane said Delgado was nearing a decision, one that could come as soon as Monday.

"Following these discussions, we now have a pretty clear picture of the landscape as it presently exists," Sloane said. "We anticipate talking further tomorrow and hope we'll be able to have a final decision very soon."

The 32-year-old Delgado would be counted on to fortify the lineup of whichever team he selects. He hit .269 last season for Toronto with 32 homers and 99 RBIs. Delgado and outfielder Magglio Ordonez, who is coming off an injury-shortened season with the Chicago White Sox, are the last elite free agents who remain unsigned.

New York already has signed two major free agents, giving a $53 million, four-year contract to right-hander Pedro Martinez and a $119 million, seven-year deal to outfielder Carlos Beltran. Delgado would provide protection for Mike Piazza in the Mets' batting order.

Edited by Skrappy1

I didn't realize they had a lot of pitching prospects, but we both know that prospects are a 50-50 bet to pan out at best.  There was a ton of decent free-agent starting pitchers this off-season too, I can't believe that Texas didn't make a push for any of them.  That one kid they have who took the comebacker to the elbow last year, he did look pretty good though, Ricardo Rodriguez or something like that I believe.

While I'm sure most teams would love to have a hitter like Delgado batting cleanup for them, don't you think it is somewhat odd that a team that doesn't have a lot of money to spend is trying to land a high-priced, poor fielding hitter like Delgado when they already are stacked with power?  Besides the guys you've already mentioned, they also have guys like Kevin Mench and Lance Nix plus they've already signed Richard Hidalgo this off-season.  They also reportedly have shopped Soriano because they are concerned with having to pay him, but clearly Delgado will come at an even higher price. 

Wow, how long ago was that?  Did they offer both those guys or just one or the other?  Either way I'd have to agree with you, both of those guys are great young arms, much harder to find than a slugger, even one as good as Texeira (I think that Pineiro messed up his arm last year though, but that was unforseeable).

668945[/snapback]

It was 2 for Tex and a SP prospect just before Sea gave Freddy away to Chicago

I think this latest move by the Rangers is fishy at best. Hicks is losing money out his ass with his Hockey Team the Dallas Stars and the offer and ultimatium then the all of a sudden, Delgado will play all his games at Dh after saying in the meetings he would play 1B. Sounds to me like Hicks is trying to be cheap, but wants to save face with the fans saying he would go after Delgado, then drop out because of Tex. Tex wont be here in 2 yrs when Boras shops him.

Sounds to me like Hicks is trying to be cheap, but wants to save face with the fans saying he would go after Delgado

669302[/snapback]

That sounds about right...maybe he also realized that another no-defense bat is the last thing Texas needs right now, especially at 1B with them having a fairly young infield.

By the way, WFAN in NY is reporting that Delgado signed, or at least plans to sign, with the Florida Marlins. That's a bit surprising to me, I would have thought at this point either the Orioles (great hitter's park and he'd get to stay in the AL) or the Mets (most $, plus Omar is trying to put together a big latino family theme). I guess Florida has a pretty good young team though and also a great latino community.

That sounds about right...maybe he also realized that another no-defense bat is the last thing Texas needs right now, especially at 1B with them having a fairly young infield.

By the way, WFAN in NY is reporting that Delgado signed, or at least plans to sign, with the Florida Marlins.  That's a bit surprising to me, I would have thought at this point either the Orioles (great hitter's park and he'd get to stay in the AL) or the Mets (most $, plus Omar is trying to put together a big latino family theme).  I guess Florida has a pretty good young team though and also a great latino community.

672248[/snapback]

it's all about the $$$.