[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

COIN TOSS

louisville lip

Say the weather is miserable, as is predicted for both games this weekend. Say you win the coin toss. Do you take the ball, or defer until the second half?

In the Colts-Pats game, the Colts won the toss and took the ball. I don't recall exactly where they started, but after they went three and out on their first two possessions, the Pats started their first two drives at around their own 40, darned good starting field position considering the elements. Consider: as bad as it appears the Pats beat the Colts, just think what the score would have been if the Pats had done anything the first two times they had the ball.

If I were the coach and won the toss in terrible weather, I'd want the other team to have the ball first, since if they go three and out, I've got good field position for my first possession. What do you think?

Say the weather is miserable, as is predicted for both games this weekend.  Say you win the coin toss.  Do you take the ball, or defer until the second half?

In the Colts-Pats game, the Colts won the toss and took the ball.  I don't recall exactly where they started, but after they went three and out on their first two possessions, the Pats started their first two drives at around their own 40, darned good starting field position considering the elements.  Consider: as bad as it appears the Pats beat the Colts, just think what the score would have been if the Pats had done anything the first two times they had the ball.

If I were the coach and won the toss in terrible weather, I'd want the other team to have the ball first, since if they go three and out, I've got good field position for my first possession.  What do you think?

663554[/snapback]

Ok, I'll post my reply here too.

Personally I am of the mindset that I would always take the ball.

There are arguments against this theory but there just isn't anything better than scoring 1st in a game, IMHO.

As to what might have happened if the Pats had done anything with their 1st 2 possessions, what might have happened had the Colts gone right down the field and scored on their 1st Possession?

I'd take the ball.

If I'm Pitt. I would defer. Great D and a second to none running attack with a rook QB. Kick the ball, stop NE and grind it out from good field position. NE I think would have to keep the ball. They are away and would benefit from drawing first blood.

Philly I think could defer and turn that to their advantage for the same reason as Pitt with the D against Atl. Vick in Philly, with bad weather = a long day. Philly should win the field position battle if they can stop the Atl. running game.

As far as what the real NFL coaches will do, if I knew that I probably wouldn't be here typing this post. I've gotten just about everything else wrong this year so why should this be any different?

Edited by jgcoach

In only one circumstance in which I would not opt for the ball: if there is a very strong wind, I would choose to defend the end zone which the wind was blowing away from (instead of the choice of receiving). Otherwise, I would choose to receive.