[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vick vs McNabb

BS Miscreant

(A thought plucked from another thread after suggested by a fellow huddler)

I ask this because we've got a local morning talk jock who tried desperately earlier this week to try to get his listeners to be excited about the fact that Vick vs McNabb was the first time ever that two black QBs ever faced each other in a conference championship game. He didn't understand why the NFL wasn't running with this as a major marketing tool. He kept saying things like, "I'm not suggesting that they're being racist or anything but why aren't they embracing this". I was not the least bit entertained...a little annoyed by it to tell the truth. I suppose I'm a bit numb to it because it doesn't come as a big surprise in light of the fact that 3 of the best QBs in the league are black and a 4th is arguably the most exciting player on one of the best teams.

Is this a big deal?

No, the radio talk show host is just a race-baiting Liberal moron.

666300[/snapback]

That's how I felt. Like I said...

I was not the least bit entertained...a little annoyed by it to tell the truth. 

666272[/snapback]

I don't think the race angle is that interesting anymore. That barrier was broken long ago.

Should we be excited about two gay QBs squaring off in the AFC Championship game?

Edited by Vet

I don't think the race angle is that interesting anymore.  That barrier was broken long ago.

Should we be excited about two gay QBs squaring off in the AFC Championship game?

666408[/snapback]

:D Cleveland didnt make the playoffs so Garcia isnt playing!

We'll never get over racism as a nation if we continually do the "first black person to do this" or "the first purple player to do that" angle. Let it rest. That guy is a total moran. His audiences' lack of interest in that vein should have told him something.

His audiences' lack of interest in that vein should have told him something.

666492[/snapback]

In terms of our society, sports fans at least, this made me feel pretty good about where we're headed.

I think you guys are being incredibly naive if you disregard this as not being significant, but not for the reason of race alone. The reason for the significance is the evolution of the QB position. The Peyton Manning/Tom Brady types are actually exceptions to the rule now, and the only reason they can survive back there is their football IQ. 20 years from now, there will be 20+ starting quarterbacks whose best trait will be their athleticism.

The reason for the significance is the evolution of the QB position.  The Peyton Manning/Tom Brady types are actually exceptions to the rule now, and the only reason they can survive back there is their football IQ.  20 years from now, there will be 20+ starting quarterbacks whose best trait will be their athleticism.

667872[/snapback]

Perhaps, but I don't think that a QB who has to rush for 1,000 yds/season will last more than five years in the league. That style of play will likely result in serious leg injuries/concussions.

I think you guys are being incredibly naive if you disregard this as not being significant, but not for the reason of race alone.  The reason for the significance is the evolution of the QB position.  The Peyton Manning/Tom Brady types are actually exceptions to the rule now, and the only reason they can survive back there is their football IQ.  20 years from now, there will be 20+ starting quarterbacks whose best trait will be their athleticism.

667872[/snapback]

I think if Atlanta moves on and wins the Super Bowl, many teams will be looking for the next Vick type of QB. It will solidify I think the new era in QB's for the NFL.

I think you guys are being incredibly naive if you disregard this as not being significant, but not for the reason of race alone...  20 years from now, there will be 20+ starting quarterbacks whose best trait will be their athleticism.

667872[/snapback]

To suggest that anyone here is "incredibly naive" for the reason you give might be viewed as incredibly presumptuous. The issue is 2 black QBs facing each other in a conference championship game. No where in this thread does it mention athleticism. The issue is pretty direct, stands as it is, and makes no assumptions. You however are calling us naive based purely on your own assumptions and stereotypes. Before you formulate your argument and respond, first consider the assumption you are making then think of who the only black QB is to ever win a SuperBowl.

I'd say it's really a non-issue because everyone know that McNabb and Culpepper are top-flight QBs. Everyone is also told that Vick is the best QB in the league, so it's less apathy/racism than the fact that those two QBs are EXPECTED to be contending for the SB year-in and year-out.