[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calling all Vick Desciples...

jgcoach

Just curious to see what some have to say about him now after seeing a good D. As I have said, shut the run down, make him throw the ball against a good D and here you have it. Many people say Manning will never be great because he can't win the big game. What's the deal on Vick. He has yet to win anything also but, we hear how he's the greatest athlete ever to hit the NFL. I would think the greatest athlete in the game today should be able to shake some things up - No?

11 of 24 for 136 and 1 int. 4 rushes for 26yds.

What do you think?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bobby Douglass comes to mind.

668429[/snapback]

I've always thought (and said) Kordell.

Still, it's too early in Vick's career to say he won't ever get it done, he just hasn't shown the consistency as a QB yet...he's got the arm, the next couple of years will be huge for him.

Edited by Skrappy1

Just curious to see what some have to say about him now after seeing a good D. As I have said, shut the run down, make him throw the ball against a good D and here you have it. Many people say Manning will never be great because he can't win the big game. What's the deal on Vick. He has yet to win anything also but, we hear how he's the greatest athlete ever to hit the NFL. I would think the greatest athlete in the game today should be able to shake some things up - No?

11 of 24 for 136 and 1 int. 4 rushes for 26yds.

What do you think?

668395[/snapback]

When Vick has a Pro Bowl WR and RB on his team and he puts up the same stat line then I will be inclined to agree with you............

When Vick has a Pro Bowl WR and RB on his team and he puts up the same stat line then I will be inclined to agree with you............

668452[/snapback]

That's bullmanure. Dunn and Duckett did very well in that back field and Vick will NEVER have a Pro Bowl WR because he doesn't look to throw the ball. If Moss and Owens were Falcons neither would be going to the Pro Bowl because Vick wouldn't throw them the ball.

I've always thought (and said) Kordell.

Still, it's too early in Vick's career to say he won't ever get it done, he just hasn't shown the consistency as a QB yet...he's got the arm, the next couple of years will be huge for him.

668433[/snapback]

Agreed. He's definately got to get something going the next couple years or all he'll be is Kordell in Atlanta. He doesn't necessarily need to go to the playoffs or the SB as I don't think you can measure how good someone is because they just got there as many people say about Manning. I do think he needs a good season or two as a QB not a RB. Have a couple of good seasons where you just don't see spurts of greatness but some consistancy and he'll start to win me over but, as of now, he isn't getting it done, in my eyes anyway.

That's bullmanure.  Dunn and Duckett did very well in that back field and Vick will NEVER have a Pro Bowl WR because he doesn't look to throw the ball.  If Moss and Owens were Falcons neither would be going to the Pro Bowl because Vick wouldn't throw them the ball.

668461[/snapback]

So you know this for a fact. That's pretty presumptuous............

He has one of the best running games in the league.

668468[/snapback]

Vick accounted for a 1/3 of that and he assisted in making Dunn and Duckett better by being the ultimate decoy on fake bootlegs............

Well unless a duck can become a goose ... it's not presumptuous as much as it is obvious

668475[/snapback]

That's like Brian Billick only being able to coach an offensive based team and Tony Dungy can only coach a defensive based team. You work with what you have..............

Edited by phenom

That's like Brian Billick only being able to coach an offensive based team and Tony Dungy can only coach a defensive based team.  You work with what you have..............

668480[/snapback]

So you are proposing that they get rid of Vick then? Because as long as he is the guy they have to work with, Atlanta will be watching the SB from their living rooms.

Edited by Grits and Shins

he's got the arm, the next couple of years will be huge for him.

668433[/snapback]

Just to clarify, I mean huge as in to make or break his career, not necessarily that he'll have huge seasons.

668468[/snapback]

Exactly.

Vick accounted for a 1/3 of that and he assisted in making Dunn and Duckett better by being the ultimate decoy on fake bootlegs............

668477[/snapback]

Granted, but having the running game as it is in Atlanta Vick should be able to get the ball down the field. As much as people say Price just isn't a #1, he did catch balls in Buffalo and I'm sure with a QB that had some poise in the pocket, they would have some kind of passing attack. Where people say Vick is redifining the position, he certainly needs to get the ball into the rec. hands at some point.

So you are proposing that they get rid of Vick then?  Because as long as he is the guy they have to work with, Atlanta will be watching the SB from their living rooms.

668483[/snapback]

You could have said the same thing about Mcnabb.

Vick works with what he has. He doesn't have any WR's that can make any plays and his RB's are mediocre. I keep Vick because with the talent he has he still got Atlanta this far.

In FA this year if the Falcons got a Shaun Alexander or Edge you could pen the Falcons in for the Super Bowl next year...........

ATL had better rushers with Dunn AND Duckett. Comparing Price, Finneran, White and first rounder Jenkins to Mitchell, Pinkston, Lewis and McMullen is a wash at best.

I said it before and I say it again. Vick is merely Kyle Boller with the ability to run. When his team trails, his inability to pass effectively dooms the team. His stats were actually even worse but they took one interception off on a questionable flag. No team can succeed with only a rushing game and no passing game, not in the playoffs where good defenses always go.

And I would question the sentiment that he needs a Pro bowl RB and WR. He already had one of the most productive rushing tandems in the NFL and one of the best offensive lines now. A receiver never makes a quarterback though a good QB can make a good receiver.

Vick's not so fun to watch against a good defense that limits his open field running. There's not much else to watch.

Vick has "happy feet" ... he doesn't check down his recieving options. If his first option isn't there he runs. That is his style and it works great in college. Hell it worked great in the week ass NFC West conference too.

But when you get into the playoffs and play real teams you have to have an "whole" offense.

Vick works with what he has.  He doesn't have any WR's that can make any plays and his RB's are mediocre.  I keep Vick because with the talent he has he still got Atlanta this far. 

In FA this year if the Falcons got a Shaun Alexander or Edge you could pen the Falcons in for the Super Bowl next year...........

668490[/snapback]

You couldn't be more wrong. McNabb throws the ball but his WRs didn't catch them. So when he finally got a top notch WR that could actually catch the ball it elevated his whole game.

Vick doesn't look to throw the ball.

Vick will never get to the big show.

Vick works with what he has.  He doesn't have any WR's that can make any plays and his RB's are mediocre.  I keep Vick because with the talent he has he still got Atlanta this far. 

668490[/snapback]

If they got Edge or Alexander, what more would that do? Vick still needs to throw the ball, unless it turns into 1/2 Vick the other RBs running the ball. It's not the running game, it's Vick.

ATL had better rushers with Dunn AND Duckett. Comparing Price, Finneran, White and first rounder Jenkins to Mitchell, Pinkston, Lewis and McMullen is a wash at best.

I said it before and I say it again. Vick is merely Kyle Boller with the ability to run. When his team trails, his inability to pass effectively dooms the team. His stats were actually even worse but they took one interception off on a questionable flag. No team can succeed with only a rushing game and no passing game, not in the playoffs where good defenses always go.

And I would question the sentiment that he needs a Pro bowl RB and WR. He already had one of the most productive rushing tandems in the NFL and one of the best offensive lines now. A receiver never makes a quarterback though  a good QB can make a good receiver.

Vick's not so fun to watch against a good defense that limits his open field running. There's not much else to watch.

668492[/snapback]

And there it is. Agreed 100% with both you and Grits.

668490[/snapback]

I think you have a good point here. McNabb's accuracy was criticized for several years, and now he has become a very accurate quarterback. That's why I think it's unfair to judge Vick at this stage, he's basically played a little less than 3 full seasons so far...it often takes QBs longer than that to develop, but you have to admit that some with great physical tools never actually do. Which category Vick will ultimately fit into remains to be seen at this point, but he clearly isn't there yet.

Hardly...the running game is in no way Atlanta's problem. While not as good a back as either of those guys you've mentioned, Dunn is as good a receiver out of the backfield as either of them, Atlanta (read VICK) just doesn't utilize him much in that regard. When Vick gets into trouble, he doesn't dump the ball off to the RBs, he either holds it and gets sacked or he runs it himself.

Edited by Skrappy1

As far as Vick goes, I'll say exactly what I've already said:

No excuses for Vick here. When he needed to step up and pass the ball....he couldn't. Forget about the whining for a decent receiver. McNabb didn't exactly have any pro bowlers to throw to today either, yet he seemed to do OK.

Until Vick develops as a passer, the FalCAN'Ts will be perennial brides maids. Good enough to get to the play offs, but forever falling short of making it to the big one.

668377[/snapback]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

668468[/snapback]

And it's too bad Mora didn't stick with it. 1st and goal at the 2 and Mora calls for two pass plays? Only down by 7 in their first series of the second half and Mora continues to stray from what got 'em there. Then the very next time they get the ball, still only down by 7, he calls on Vick to throw on 1st down from his own 14 resulting in an interception. I haven't seen Vick drop back to pass that many times all year (well except for the KC blow out that is :D ) It almost seemed like Mora was determined to prove everyone wrong about Vick not being that great a passer. :D

But no sour grapes. The better team with the better QB, won today.

Edited by Big Score 1

As far as Vick goes, I'll say exactly what I've already said:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't seen Vick drop back to pass that many times all year (well except for the KC blow out that is :D ) It almost seemed like Mora was determined to prove everyone wrong about Vick not being that great a passer. :D

But no sour grapes. The better team with the better QB, won today.

668502[/snapback]

I would agree with you there. Sometimes the calls fail all logic.