[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calling all Vick Desciples...

jgcoach

You guys who are already writing off Vick crack me up.

If the Falcons were to cut Vick, I guarantee you that more than half the teams in the NFL, both AFC & NFC, would be jumping all over each other with pen & check book ready to sign him.

I wonder why that is?

Must be because he sucks huh :D

672342[/snapback]

That's because they know as hyped as he is, the the fans (or sheep) will flock to see him, not because he can live up to the hype, but because the media says so. Most people can be led by the nose by the media, or Vick would be taken at face value for what he's been so far, a mediocre QB that runs the ball and has success - sometimes.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious to see what some have to say about him now after seeing a good D. As I have said, shut the run down, make him throw the ball against a good D and here you have it. Many people say Manning will never be great because he can't win the big game. What's the deal on Vick. He has yet to win anything also but, we hear how he's the greatest athlete ever to hit the NFL. I would think the greatest athlete in the game today should be able to shake some things up - No?

11 of 24 for 136 and 1 int. 4 rushes for 26yds.

What do you think?

668395[/snapback]

I think that he is more of a decoy than a solid QB. He probably changes up Defensive schemes more tahn anyone in the NFL een more than Moss. They have to have at least 1 LB spy him at all times the whole game. And it's hard for any team to put up a huge stat-line againts the eagles D. By no means am i saying that he's a really good quarterback though. I think he can make things happen with his feet, and can put the ball in WR's hands on occasion.

But if you want to know what i REALLY think, i think that you should worry about your QB situation a lot more than the Falcons (Eli seemed to have a pretty booming year didn't he....)

Funny how McNabb's had success with low-quality WRs like Thrash, Pinkston, and Mitchell over the years.  I guess that Vick just isn't as good as McNabb.

672159[/snapback]

Almost as funny as how the Falcons with Vick at QB, have had success with low-quality WR's like Finneran, White & Price this year & Finneran & Shawn Jefferson in 2002. I guess Vick is just as good as McNabb. :D

That's because they know as hyped as he is, the the fans (or sheep) will flock to see him, not because he can live up to the hype, but because the media says so. Most people can be led by the nose by the media, or Vick would be taken at face value for what he's been so far, a mediocre QB that runs the ball and has success - sometimes.

672360[/snapback]

So you're telling me that the only reason more than half the teams in the NFL would be lined up to sign him....is for the hype factor.

Sorry jgcoach...I'm not buying what you're selling here. :D

So you're telling me that the only reason more than half the teams in the NFL would be lined up to sign him....is for the hype factor.

672375[/snapback]

Oh it has to be all hype, watching him making grown men almost shatter every bone in their lower leg trying to recover from his cuts, watching him put away team in OT on a 50 yard TD dash.....

pshhhh all hype.

My two cents... :D

Vick has the talent and a huge potential, no question. However, he'll never reach greatness the way he plays now. His teams will never beat the iron with that one dimensional offense either.

He just needs to learn how to become a better pocket passer. Then, if a pass play breaks down, his running skills will become deadly. If he masters that--and I think he can--he, and his team will become a force in this league.

:D

Almost as funny as how the Falcons with Vick at QB, have had success with low-quality WR's like Finneran, White & Price this year & Finneran & Shawn Jefferson in 2002. I guess Vick is just as good as McNabb.  :D

672368[/snapback]

How susccssful was he with those WRs? His passing stats were horrendous. He's hardly been as good as McNabb.

Hype is hype and the weak shall follow.

I think that he is more of a decoy than a solid QB. He probably changes up Defensive schemes more tahn anyone in the NFL een more than Moss. They have to have at least 1 LB spy him at all times the whole game. And it's hard for any team to put up a huge stat-line againts the eagles D. By no means am i saying that he's a really good quarterback though. I think he can make things happen with his feet, and can put the ball in WR's hands on occasion.

But if you want to know what i REALLY think, i think that you should worry about your QB situation a lot more than the Falcons (Eli seemed to have a pretty booming year didn't he....)

672365[/snapback]

I don't go around saying Eli is a great anything or the best athlete in the NFL. It remains to be seen if Eli can tow the line. He did show rookie mistakes and most of the time he was on his back looking at the beautiful blue afternoon sky, but we'll take what he gives and won't make excuses, as Vick fans do.

Oh ya, he's not my QB; if he were I wouldn't be responding to you're post, I'd be vacationing in Australia for the winter. I wish I could afford to pay the guy; that would mean I have a bit more for myself.

672375[/snapback]

Actually it's not for sale. I give it away free. But in all seriousness, he does bring some things to the table, I will admitt that but, he has yet to show anything near the hype that's given him. Flashes of spectacular things yes. No consistancy and definately no progress made with throwing the ball, good rec. or not.

Actually it's not for sale. I give it away free. But in all seriousness, he does bring some things to the table, I will admitt that but, he has yet to show anything near the hype that's given him. Flashes of spectacular things yes. No consistancy and definately no progress made with throwing the ball, good rec. or not.

672551[/snapback]

Well he's got you there, God knows HIS QB has obviously lived up to his hype......

Well he's got you there, God knows HIS QB has obviously lived up to his hype......

672554[/snapback]

Who's QB are you talking about, I said it once I don't have one. Do you have anything of substance to say, or do you just spout garbage.

The Avy doesn't mean I'm a blind a** homer, as you seem to be. By the way, does Michael have morning breath.

Obviously, its too early to form any kind of conclusion about Vick.

But if the best thing that you can say about your QB is that he is dangerous in a broken play, I'm not so sure I'd be all that excited about him.

I mean, if the QB is commanding the ship well, there ain't no broken plays.

672554[/snapback]

One thing has nothing to do with another. An obvious diversionary attempt, and a clear sign that you have him at a loss to refute anything you've said jgcoach. :D

You guys who are already writing off Vick crack me up.

If the Falcons were to cut Vick, I guarantee you that more than half the teams in the NFL, both AFC & NFC, would be jumping all over each other with pen & check book ready to sign him.

I wonder why that is?

672342[/snapback]

It would be to sell tickets and spamshirts.

If I were an NFL GM, there's no way that I'd sign him at his current salary ($103 million over 10 years) until he develops into an effective passer.

This debate has no end......the agree to disagree until next year when they put the pads on again is really all there is to it. I mean if you really want to look at it impartially both sides are right. Vick is the most dangerous and exciting player in the league and has a .500 record in the playoffs which is not too bad. He is a winner and elevates his teammates game to a playoff level. I would say there are probably onlyabout 10 GM's who would not sign him on the spot.

And he is deficient passing the ball accurately, he needs to develop more pocket presence which would keep teams from blitzing him 90% of the game. He does need a little more touch on the ball and his sacks do hurt the offense's continuity. When he does decide to get the ball to his playmakers (which are limited if you be honest) then there is no limit to how good the Falcons offense could be. He will be hyped to he!! as the most exciting player in the league but probably won't show it as a passer until perhaps the middle of next year or the year after if ever.

But I have to admit I am getting tired of this debate that is going in circles...........

A ) Just because another team would "jump to sign him" does not make him a good QB. It makes him a commodity that other teams would be willing to attempt to develop, nothing more. Certainly he has the ability to put butts into seats and that would be reason enough for some team to sign him.

B ) He does add another dimension to the Atlanta team and his presence has indeed helped his team get to the playoffs. However, this is in large part due to the soft schedule they have played. In addition do not discount Atlanta's defense part in getting Atlanta to the playoffs. Atlanta / Vick struggles against any team with a solid disciplined defense. The two teams he has defeated in the playoffs were teams with no defense ... Green Bay and St. Louis.

C ) He is a great athlete, of that there is no doubt. If he is allowed to run he is a game breaker. When he plays against those sub par defenses that can not make him throw the ball he can be very exciting to watch. But he has not shown any evidence of being an NFL caliber QB, one with a pocket presence and that can settle down and throw from the pocket when the game plan dictates.

D ) Until he learns to settle down and throw the ball it does not matter how many pro-bowl caliber wide recievers you add to the mix; Vick simply does not look to throw the ball. He doesn't do his check downs ... he doesn't even look to hit his hot WR/RB, instead he tries to make it happen by running the ball himself. This is very successful in college and obviously somewhat successful against the less disciplined NFL defenses.

E ) He does NOT compare to McNabb of a couple years ago. McNabb was at least doing his check downs and attempting to throw the ball. Vick looks to run first, this is a BIG difference. Certainly both had comparable WRs on the field last Sunday.

Edited by Grits and Shins

Here is my take on what the Falcons will do to build thier team around Vick:

It is obvious that vick will be the QB for ATL for the next decade. He is limited now and probably will be for the next couple of years. I expect the Falcons (McKay) will use the Tampa Bay approach and build the defensive side of the ball during the off season. I would expect them to try to sign a DT in free agency and draft the best defensive players available in the first couple rounds of the draft. I would think MLB and DL will be a priority.

Adding a WR now may be a waste of money as Vick seems incapable of getting them the ball at this point in his development. They should be able to run the ball as the offense sits now and if they get better at stopping people they will be in the hunt.

I guess the hype around Vick is the reason he gets criticized so much. Why do players like Harrington, Pennington and Carr get a pass when they are slow to develop while Vick gets destroyed while his team goes to the NFC Championship game?

The Falcons are a franchise trying to put together their first consecutive winning seasons in franchise history. I can't see why expectations are so high.

I guess the hype around Vick is the reason he gets criticized so much. Why do players like Harrington, Pennington and Carr get a pass when they are slow to develop while Vick gets destroyed while his team goes to the NFC Championship game?

673138[/snapback]

Didn't you answer your own question here? It's because no one is trying to claim that Harrington, Pennington or Carr is a legitimate MVP candidate, pro-bowler, or the greatest thing since sliced-bread. There aren't any commercials constantly being run in prime time television for the Joey Harrington Experience. There weren't sixteen hundred 5-10 page Huddle threads in here this season discussing Chad Pennington or how great he is. Vick is probably taking a bit of excessive criticism from many, but if you're going to get all the praise when things go well, then you have to be prepared to take some of the beatings when they don't, that's just the way things work.

Didn't you answer your own question here?  It's because no one is trying to claim that Harrington, Pennington or Carr is a legitimate MVP candidate, pro-bowler, or the greatest thing since sliced-bread. There aren't any commercials constantly being run in prime time television for the Joey Harrington Experience. There weren't sixteen hundred 5-10 page Huddle threads in here this season discussing Chad Pennington or how great he is.  Vick is probably taking a bit of excessive criticism from many, but if you're going to get all the praise when things go well, then you have to be prepared to take some of the beatings when they don't, that's just the way things work.

673206[/snapback]

Very good post. Vick bashers if you call them that (like me) are just tired of the hype. Before you send someone to the probowl make sure he's worthy. Before you say he's great at anything, be sure he shows it. Great athlete, Iguess it's a good term to use for someone when you are looking to hype them up but they haven't really done anything to deserve it yet.

Phenom is also correct, we have beat this to death many times this year. When will it stop? I guess when Vick either proves us right or wrong. But for now the pads are off and we could let it go until next year. I'm sure if Vick comes out on fire these threads will take another direction but, if he faulters next year also, we may as well copy and paste the threads over.

I actually like the Vick threads. Ya have to have something to argue about when the season comes down to a close.

Very good post. Vick bashers if you call them that (like me) are just tired of the hype. Before you send someone to the probowl make sure he's worthy. Before you say he's great at anything, be sure he shows it. Great athlete, Iguess it's a good term to use for someone when you are looking to hype them up but they haven't really done anything to deserve it yet.

Phenom is also correct, we have beat this to death many times this year. When will it stop? I guess when Vick either proves us right or wrong. But for now the pads are off and we could let it go until next year. I'm sure if Vick comes out on fire these threads will take another direction but, if he faulters next year also, we may as well copy and paste the threads over.

I actually like the Vick threads. Ya have to have something to argue about when the season comes down to a close.

673427[/snapback]

Exhale...

Some of the best posts on this subject finally arrive all in a row. If it wasn't for today's sporting fans and the media's need to crown every team or player "the best ever" so quick and forget about the hero's of yester year, this wouldn't be a problem. How many times did we hear that Blt had the "best defense of all time" a few years back? 1 great season is all it took for teh public and media to try to erase accomplishments of the Steel Curtain, 4 Horsemen, Purple People Eaters and hell, even the Chicago Defense of the 80's. All of these were great Defenses for many consecutive years, but the need to "have our own king" led to a lot of hype. Vick isn't the first modern QB to get cascaded with it, Kordell was fawned over for a year or so until he self destructed, but he's the latest. Let him prove himself before crowning him king, that's all the bashers (well most of us) are saying, really.

ATL had better rushers with Dunn AND Duckett. Comparing Price, Finneran, White and first rounder Jenkins to Mitchell, Pinkston, Lewis and McMullen is a wash at best.

I said it before and I say it again. Vick is merely Kyle Boller with the ability to run. When his team trails, his inability to pass effectively dooms the team. His stats were actually even worse but they took one interception off on a questionable flag. No team can succeed with only a rushing game and no passing game, not in the playoffs where good defenses always go.

And I would question the sentiment that he needs a Pro bowl RB and WR. He already had one of the most productive rushing tandems in the NFL and one of the best offensive lines now. A receiver never makes a quarterback though  a good QB can make a good receiver.

Vick's not so fun to watch against a good defense that limits his open field running. There's not much else to watch.

668492[/snapback]

Well said DMD. Exactly my thoughts.

Vick has a fantastic TE and while Price may not be a HOF, he was no slouch in Buffalo before coming to Atlanta. Dunn put up fantastic numbers and with the #1 rushing game in the league, the lack of a pro bowl RB is just another Vick excuse.

Bottom line is, he misses wide open guys, doesn't anticipate patterns, and can only throw effectively down the hash, which is the easiest of throws for a QB.

They could put Harrison and TO on that team and Vick would overthrow them, look to run, and continue to hop around in the pocket.

I will give him some slack this season based on the new scheme, but if he fails to become a quality passer next season, I fear he will never materialize into a "fair" QB. Heaven forbid they go out and get a stud wideout. Once his stats crater, people may start looking at Vick.

"The Michael Vick Experience" does sell Jersey's though.

This debate has no end......the agree to disagree until next year when they put the pads on again is really all there is to it.  I mean if you really want to look at it impartially both sides are right.  Vick is the most dangerous and exciting player in the league and has a .500 record in the playoffs which is not too bad.  He is a winner and elevates his teammates game to a playoff level.  I would say there are probably onlyabout 10 GM's who would not sign him on the spot.

And he is deficient passing the ball accurately, he needs to develop more pocket presence which would keep teams from blitzing him 90% of the game.  He does need a little more touch on the ball and his sacks do hurt the offense's continuity.  When he does decide to get the ball to his playmakers (which are limited if you be honest) then there is no limit to how good the Falcons offense could be.  He will be hyped to he!! as the most exciting player in the league but probably won't show it as a passer until perhaps the middle of next year or the year after if ever.

But I have to admit I am getting tired of this debate that is going in circles...........

672737[/snapback]

If you'd just admitted this from the get-go, we could have save a lot of bandwidth. :D