[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Reflection on Ben Roethlisberger

Menudo

I can be honest now. No doubt about it, Ben's season went downhill as the season went on. Also, he did not perform well during the pressure of the playoffs.

All of that said, wow. What a year this guy has shown. When you draft a rookie QB, first, I had hoped he wouldn't see a down this year. However, if a rookie QB plays, you hope to just see a glimpse of success from him. You actually expect to struggle as a team, trust me, no matter what they say, the Steelers thought they were in trouble when Ben was forced into the starting role.

People try to take away what this kid did this year, due to the fact he played for a solid team. However, if you actually watched the games, you would see what I saw: A young kid playing QB who has some phenomenal natural insticsts. As he grows, he is going to get better and better and I have no doubt that this kid has Super Bowl champion and Hall of fame potential. What makes me the most confident in him is his poise and composure on, and especially off the field. He is a grounded kid (who should be playing his Sr. year at Miami (OH) righ now), who will do everything it takes to improve.

Thanks to Ben, thanks to the Steelers. I hope Bettis stays around again. He is the guy I feel worst for. He is a class act and he proved me wrong worse than anyone I can ever remember. I thought he was done, but he obviously was not.

Anyway, one last time....

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO !!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can be honest now.  No doubt about it, Ben's season went downhill as the season went on.  Also, he did not perform well during the pressure of the playoffs.

668765[/snapback]

I think it's less pressure than facing talented and well-coached defenses.

No doubt Ben exceeded everyone's expectations. Doesn't make me feel any better about his first loss.

I certainly hope the Bus will return next year. No way weould we have gone as far as we did this year without him. We will need him again next year, likely in the role he was supposed to play this year.

No doubt Ben exceeded everyone's expectations.  Doesn't make me feel any better about his first loss.

I certainly hope the Bus will return next year.  No way weould we have gone as far as we did this year without him.  We will need him again next year, likely in the role he was supposed to play this year.

668791[/snapback]

The Steelers have many classy players, and Ben and Jerome are two of them. I hope they both remain so in the aftermath.

I like what Ben brings to the table. I think he will be fine, as long as he doesn't allow this game to haunt him.

I also hope Jerome returns. He is really the face of the Steelers, and they need it to keep Cowher's mug out of the camera :D

Ben didn't play that well... but the Steelers D did give up 34 freakin' points.... lets not blame him entirely OK?

668809[/snapback]

He threw 3 INTs. Didn't exactly help the D out.

It's not entirely his fault, you're right. But he didn't exactly get the job done either, did he.

I said Ben didn't play well... I just don't put all the blame on him.... when did the D step up today at all? The Pats O had their way with the Steelers D all day long. None of the three turnovers was in Steeler territory IIRC... championship defenses step up in situations like that.

Ben played bad, the D played worse cause they ain't a rookie and were supposed to be one of the Steelers strengths.

Didnt Marino have similar success never to win the Big 1, on ly to get to it once.

668847[/snapback]

I think his point is you never know if this was Roethlisberger's one shot at a Super Bowl. Premature? Of course. But if you were given Marino's career numbers after the Dolphins lost the Super Bowl in '84, you'd have assumed that he'd returned to The Big Game several more times.

You just never know. That being said, there is much for Ben to build on. The rookie slump he was in was easy for all to see, except for Steelers homers, of course :D. Teams usually cannot win in spite of their quarterback. Unbelievable year for the rook.

IIRC, didn't one of the turnovers start in Patriots territory, but when it was finished, it ended up in the Steelers end zone for 6? :D

The first pick was behind the WR and he deflected it, but it was still a terrible pass.

The second pick, he was baited.

The third pick was another terrible throw--overthrow.

First INT was their first drive, and led to a field goal. Second INT was returned for a TD, and the third INT led to another touchdown.

Let's call it like it is: Ben played terrible and a lot of the blame should fall squarely on his shoulders. The rest of the blame needs to be put on a much too conservative gameplan. Sure, their MO is to run the ball, but mixing it up a little in the beginning of the game (on 1st and 2nd downs) may have changed things a bit.

I think his point is you never know if this was Roethlisberger's one shot at a Super Bowl.  Premature?  Of course.  But if you were given Marino's career numbers after the Dolphins lost the Super Bowl in '84, you'd have assumed that he'd returned to The Big Game several more times.

You just never know.  That being said, there is much for Ben to build on.  The rookie slump he was in was easy for all to see, except for Steelers homers, of course :D.  Teams usually cannot win in spite of their quarterback.  Unbelievable year for the rook.

668916[/snapback]

I get that, I just misunderstood Sarge's comment. Looking back on Sarge's comment, I have no idea why I jumped on it like I did.

It would have to be more like 5 INT's in ONLY one game to be Favre-like :D.

668929[/snapback]

But you've gotta work up to that stuff. Like how Manning had to choke in early-round playoff games to work up to choking in divisional and championship rounds.

5 ints in 2 games, it's a start you can build on.

But you've gotta work up to that stuff. Like how Manning had to choke in early-round playoff games to work up to choking in divisional and championship rounds.

5 ints in 2 games, it's a start you can build on.

668936[/snapback]

Ouch. Low blow. I guess I deserved it.

Didnt Marino have similar success never to win the Big 1, on ly to get to it once.

668847[/snapback]

Who are you, Esiason? :D That was priceless -- I bet Marino is still wandering around with that "what do you mean I have no clothes on -- I'm the emporer" look on his face!!!

Anyway, I like Ben's performance this season. Heck of a year from any QB, especially a rookie who came out early from a smaller school ... I don't think the last two games are indicative of his next 100. I think he'll learn and develop into one of the finest QBs in the game.

Here's hoping, anyway!

I said Ben didn't play well... I just don't put all the blame on him.... when did the D step up today at all?  The Pats O had their way with the Steelers D all day long.  None of the three turnovers was in Steeler territory IIRC... championship defenses step up in situations like that.

Ben played bad, the D played worse cause they ain't a rookie and were supposed to be one of the Steelers strengths.

668910[/snapback]

Decent point -- turnovers demoralize and exhaust, but champions overcome. Pittsburgh needed to stop New England after the field goal made it 31-20 ... get the ball back, score there, and maybe, just maybe, a flame of hope flickers ...

Pittsburgh couldn't stop New England on that key drive ... FG makes it 34-20 ... dang. DANG!! Nice game, Pats.