[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brady=Aikman

keggerz

both were(troy)/are(tom) extremely succesful in their teams system...

both seem somewhat gay(not that there is anything wrong with that)

neither made the mistakes like those that Big Ben made in yesterdays game(with the exception of when brady threw 4 ints once :D )

they were both GREAT game managers

I dont think Aikman will ever be considered one of the greatest ever and the jury is still out on Brady(imo)

can anyone else name a QB with a bunch of rings that isnt considered one of the greatest ever??

Big Time players Aikman/Brady yes Greatest of All time...

I say NO!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can anyone else name a QB with a bunch of rings that isnt considered one of the greatest ever??

670092[/snapback]

I dunno, maybe Bradshaw?

It is a good comparison.

Edited by CaptainHook

both were(troy)/are(tom) extremely succesful in their teams system...

both seem somewhat gay(not that there is anything wrong with that)

neither made the mistakes like those that Big Ben made in yesterdays game(with the exception of when brady threw 4 ints once :D )

they were both GREAT game managers

I dont think Aikman will ever be considered one of the greatest ever and the jury is still out on Brady(imo)

Big Time players Aikman/Brady yes Greatest of All time...

I say NO!

670092[/snapback]

I think it is a fair comparison. When Dallas was winning in the early 90's it was easy to claim Aikman was a great QB. In retrospect, it is clear he played on a great team and in a great system.

I think much of Brady's success is attributable to Weiss and his system. It will be interesting to see how Brady does next year with a new offensive coord.

I dunno, maybe Bradshaw?

670095[/snapback]

Bob Griese comes to mind as well. He was a solid QB and a great game manager, but he was not the reason the Dolphins dominated the early 70's. It was their defense and running game which pummeled opponents -- not their passing game. I was a bit surprised Griese made it to the HOF.

Not a bad comparison.

Except that Brady throws alot more TDs and alot fewer INTs than Aikman did.

(Brady, 1 TD pass every 20.8 attempts vs. 28.6 for Aikman)

(Brady, 1 INT every 38.8 attempts vs. 33.4 for Aikman)

banging Tara Reid (or Carmela Decesare) makes you a hero in my book!

My point about Brady is that he's an efficient QB who plays within the system, that is why the Pats are successful. You don't need a Manning, Favre (yes, I'm a Packer fan), Culpepper, McNabb kind of QB who thinks he has to win the whole game by himself and forces balls into bad spots just because he THINKS he can.

As a Packer fan, I'd take Brady and the NE D over Favre and our D any day. This is again why I keep harping on the fact that 1st round draft pick QBs rarely win Super Bowls with their original teams...

GO BRADY! GO PATS!

Bob Griese is a good candidate....

...if you're looking for someone to carry Brady's jock for him.

Comp %:  Griese 56.2%, Brady 61.6%

TD/INT: Griese 1.12, Brady 1.87

670151[/snapback]

hmmm

the griese comparison is also a good one...

I dont have the time to look it up(feel free to) for this analysis:

avg attempts/game for brady and griese can we use say 27 for arguments sake??

Brady completes 16.60 passes per game

Griese completes 15.17 passes per game

the passing game of today vs yesteryear is very different...how many of brady(and other QBs in this era) are of the dink and dunk nature that are the equivalent of a handoff???

its like comparing apples and oranges NO :D

but when it comes right down to it they are both in the same family FRUIT

just like the QBs mentioned in this thread are all in the same FAMILY

Bradshaw completed roughly half of his pass attempts (52%), and threw just about 1 INT (210) for every TD pass (212).

670171[/snapback]

so now are you saying that the difference in INTERCEPTIONS to TD's defines a GREAT QB???

I thought it was all the intangibles that made Brady so great :D

When Brady tops this, we can talk about him and Aikman in the same sentence.

Aikman NFL's Winningest Quarterback - With eight wins in 1999, Troy Aikman became the winningest starting quarterback of any decade in NFL history with 90 wins in the 1990s. He broke the mark of 86 wins set by Joe Montana in the 1980s.

Team of the 90's - The Cowboys close the century as the NFL's most successful team in the decade of the 1990s. From 1990 to 1999, Dallas qualified for the playoffs eight times, won six division titles, made four trips to the conference championship game and won three Super Bowls.

670180[/snapback]

I knew I could count on you to bring some Aikman stuff to the table....

FWIW I dont think BRADY is a "GREAT" QB...

you might as well throw Stabler into the discussion.

I wouldn't compare Brady to Dilfer. Brady is on the verge of winning number three, and Dilfer can't get a starting job in the NFL.

Aikman and Brady is a fair comparison at this stage of the latter's career. Aikman almost died his first year (which was like Carr's, except that Aikman was able survive and thrive in the coming years), and may have retired a year or two early, which is always better than a year or two late.

If Brady gets number three, you have to include him in the same breath as Starr, Montana, Favre and Elway.

I'll buy the same family argument, since the name of the family is Winning.

The only reason I've been throwing out stats is it seems people think of Brady as being mediocre statistically just because he doesn't throw for 300 yards per game. And they throw out these QBs like Aikman and Griese to make their argument and they don't realize that Brady is head and shoulder above them statistically.

Brady's numbers are alot closer to Joe Montana's than they are to either Aikman or Griese. (Except Montana used to throw more INTs than Brady.)

Depends on what you call great.

I personally think this qualifies.

Aikman NFL's Winningest Quarterback - With eight wins in 1999, Troy Aikman became the winningest starting quarterback of any decade in NFL history with 90 wins in the 1990s. He broke the mark of 86 wins set by Joe Montana in the 1980s.

Team of the 90's - The Cowboys close the century as the NFL's most successful team in the decade of the 1990s. From 1990 to 1999, Dallas qualified for the playoffs eight times, won six division titles, made four trips to the conference championship game and won three Super Bowls.

If Brady comes close to this, Ill give him his props.  But he walked into a solid team, didnt go through growing pains.  Like someone previously said, Aikmans first 2 yrs probably took 3-5 yrs off his career.  Brady never had to deal with that.  Aikman also didnt have the D Brady does until 92, when they jumped from 25th to 1st in the first SB victory of the 90s.

670221[/snapback]

I am sorry let me rephrase "GREATEST OF ALL TIME"

I will give Aikman his props as a GREAT WINNING QB

and in the end I guess that is all that matters...just ask Dan Marino :D