[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your favorite Team(s) through the years.

McBoog

With all the “homerism” displayed, especially during playoff time, it got me thinking about all the different “favorite” teams I have had through my life.

Neither of my parents were Football fans (but evolved to like it as I got more involved, played and coached), and it is truly a love that I developed on my own, maybe was even born with. Due to this and the fact that we moved around a lot as a kid, I have had a few different favorite teams through my life. I even tend to “follow” a team from each division as my group of “second favorite” teams. This helps me really stay in touch with the NFL and helps with player awareness for Fantasy Football.

Some people I am sure, have lived in the same area for most of their lives and bled their team color, without fail, for their full life memory. I was interested in seeing what you all have to say about “team loyalty” from a fans perspective, and see how many of the “wandering alliance” fans we have as opposed to the life-long diehards.

My first two favorite teams were the Packers and the Rams. The Rams had cool helmets (hey, I was six) and the Pack had Starr, Lombardi and a lot of TV coverage, which I am sure influenced my allegiance as a child learning the game on my own.

As I became more aware of all the teams, and discovered my Grandpa was a Steeler fan, I became a Steeler fan. We also lived part of the year in Florida, and was fortunate enough to be a BIG Phin fan during the 17-0 season (much more impressive than whatever the Pats fans spew about, I have already forgotten “how many in a row” they have won). Living in Connecticut, I also liked the Pats, but back then they were the Boston Patriots, and did not try to appeal to all of New England until after we had moved away. I have always kinda rooted for them as well anyway.

When we moved to San Diego, I was excited to finally have “my own” “NFL” team in the actual city I lived in. I have endured the horrid drug infested years of Harland Savare, the Glory years of Air Coryell, Bobby Ross and the first Super Bowl (butt whoopin :D:moon::D ), the misery of the 90’s and the pleasant surprise of 2004 B):yay::DB) !

So, most of my life I have been a Bolt fan, but those old allegiances don’t seem to die. I still keep a hopeful eye on those other teams (unless they are playing or effecting the Chargers), but have settled in to being a Charger fan. I think that it is so ingrained now, that moving to a different city won’t ever change that!

What is funny, is that some of these Pats fans, see: RETARDEDTUNA, are so stupid and pushy (pumping Brady as God etc.) about the wonderful accomplishments of the organization that they drive the fringe fan like me away! I thought I was going to enjoy the Pats/Steeler game more as a football fan, given my past feelings, than wanting one team to win over the other. What I found was a inner desire to see the Steelers win so morans like UT would shut up! These guys are, if possible, more obnoxious and ridiculous than Raider fans! I think the Pats will win the SB, but will be rootin' for the Eagles/underdog.

Well, this was longer than I expected/wanted, but it is something I don’t think I have seen here before.

:D

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't write a novel, like McBoog's post :D but I'll say this:

In the 70's, I liked the Steelers. For some reason, I liked their logo. And the fact it was only on one side of the helmet. Plus I liked the Swann-Stallworth-Lipps-Bradshaw thang. And Mean Joe Greene.

Then, as I started to appreciate sports more - and for the right reasons - I started following my "hometown" Bears. I never really lived in Chicago, although my parents are from there and I visited nearly every summer. But it was hard to root for my REAL "hometown" teams. I couldn't stand the "thug" nature of the Raiders, and the Rams were often times unwatchable. And something told me they weren't here to stay. I was right. So I was a Bears fan (without NFL Sunday Ticket - ack!) I was a Bears fan at the right time, of course. Sweetness. McMahon. Gault. The D. The Superbowl Shuffle.

I'm still a Bears fan, don't get me wrong... and now with NFL Sunday Ticket I rarely miss a game... As much as I love the Bears, however, I have taken a liking to the closest NFL team remaining in Southern California. The Chargers are easy to root for. LT's a budding star (under-rated, if you ask me). I love the way Brees shook off the Rivers draft pick and had a solid season. I'm a big fan of Quentin Jammer (I think he comes up big next season). The Gates story is amazing.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

From the philly area so will always be an EAGLES HOMER!

but also always liked a few AFC teams:

Seahawks for reasons I have explained before(test the BJ Database)

Colts-back when they were still in BALT yeah that long(why? another one for the Database)

Oilers/Titans hey what can I say Pastorini was Italian I had to root for him

always been a quasi Vikes fan too just not sure exactly why

as for teams i have a disdain for

the cowboys will always be number 1 on my LOVE to HATE list!

followed closely by the Gnats

Edit* god it was awful living thru the Marion "SwampFox" Campbell days

also not many fans probably remember but Reid wasnt exactly embraced when he was hired(nothing against him but most fans thought laurie(sp?) was just being cheap)

Edited by keggerz

Sweet post darin3!

By the way, after the Bolts, my "second favorite teams" are (not in any order):

AFC: Dolphins / Steelers / Texans

NFC: Eagles / Pack / Panthers / Rams

My dad came to this country from Ireland in the early 1960's. He alway's had an appetite for the underdog - having come here with basically nothing, I think he viewed himself as an underdog. So, he naturally gravitated toward the underdogs - the New York Titans and the newly-formed New York Mets. He enjoyed some early success, with the Jets and Mets winning championships in '68 and '69.

I was one year old when the Jets last one the Superbowl. I naturally accepted them as my team when I was really young. I rebelled for one year when a uncle bought me a Redskins jacket when I was six, but as soon as I outgrew it I lost interest in the Skins.

So, to make a long story short - my father ended up getting the ultimate revenge on me for everything bad I did when I was a kid - he made me a Jets fan. A cross I'll have to bear for the rest of my life.

And - I'm not letting the next generation off any easier. My two boys, ages 5 and 2, watched the AFC Divisional game with me wearing their Pennington and Martin spamshirts. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I was born in Indiana, but was raised in Illinois and loved the Packers during the Lombardi "Glory Years". When I moved to Chicago during medical school and residency, I couldn't get enough of Da Bears. Since moving to San Diego in 1978 I've been a Charger fan.

My wife wants to move to Colorado when I retire. I don't know if I can be a Bronco fan! :D

And - I'm not letting the next generation off any easier.  My two boys, ages 5 and 2, watched the AFC Divisional game with me wearing their Pennington and Martin spamshirts.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

670542[/snapback]

:DB):yay:

My wife and I were at that game (see THIS THREAD), but my 2 1/2 year old twins were at home, watching with Gandma, he had his LT jersey and she was wearing her Edwards jersey!

:moon::moon::moon::D:yay:B):D:yay::D:yay::yay::yay:

I was born in Indiana, but was raised in Illinois and loved the Packers during the Lombardi "Glory Years". When I moved to Chicago during medical school and residency, I couldn't get enough of Da Bears. Since moving to San Diego in 1978 I've been a Charger fan.

My wife wants to move to Colorado when I retire. I don't know if I can be a Bronco fan! :D

670548[/snapback]

I don't think you can ever be a fan of teams that were in the same division that you used to be "passionate" about!

Died in the wool Redskins fan from the 'git-go'.

Have dallied with rooting for three other teams in my time, but the 'Skins always came first no matter the ups and downs, good or bad, winning or losing.

Was a Oakland fan during Maddens day. A Niner's fan during the Montana days. But both of those were mostly because of certain people and not the actual team/franchise. I try real hard to root for the Seahawks just because I live so close but it sure is tough.

Doubt I will ever transfer my full alligiance to any other team. Redskins have me body and soul no matter where I have lived or will live.

I grew up in Pittsburgh in the 1970s - need I say more?

I did kinda root for the Pats when I lived in Boston (1991-95). That has changed.

With the rest of the teams, I usually root for players rather than teams. If there are a lot of players I like on one team, I'll root for the team, such as with the Colts.

But the Steelers always come first.

grew up in san francisco. even when i was young (and didn't know that ff existed), i still rooted for players, and in turn, their teams. loved fouts et al, liked curt warner, zorn, kraig, largent... in high school lott and easley were my idols.

so followed the chargers and hawks...more into hawks. but they really didn't come close to the 49ers. as painfull as it is to watch them now, i still root for them.

As I stated in my other, more inflammatory post, I really do not understand the rabid fan of a professional team.  College...maybe...after all, you are part of the school. 

670782[/snapback]

But you're not part of the city in which your homer team is located? :D

Well, I've been in Central Pennsylvania my whole life. I have been a devoted Pittsburgh Steelers, Pittsburgh Pirates, Pittsburgh Penguins, and Penn State Nittany Lions fan since I was young enought to realize what is going on. My fandom most definitely came from my father, who is a big-time sports fan and has rooted for the same teams all his life.

The only fandom I developed myself was for the Utah Jazz. I'm not into the NBA too much anymore and my father never liked basketball. I used to really enjoy the NBA and started liking the Jazz because, obviously, Pittsburgh doesn't have a basketball team, I dislike all things Philly and I enjoyed watching John Stockton and Karl Malone play together and developed an interest in that team.

I am 30 now, so even if I would move, my allegiance is so strong, that I don't see anyway I could share my fandom with any team, probably because it has been developed for 30 years.

But you're not part of the city in which your homer team is located?  :D

670793[/snapback]

Fair point but I tend to see the professional sports teams in my city as businesses, not part of the community.

In college, you are a part of the community. You are a fellow student or alumnus with the college athlete.

I wasn't in to football until 1998 or so. Up 'til then, I was a fan of the NBA (which I now can care less about). I immediately became a fan of the Titans, though I can't quite remember why (I was ten, so it could've been anything). My dad has been and is a Steelers fan, so those first few years were pretty tough with them being division rivals. Despite this, I never wavered, and am even more loyal now than I was when I first became a fan.

Edited by TitansFan