[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your favorite Team(s) through the years.

McBoog

As you can see from Rajn and my 2006 sig bet I don't like the Saints eventhough I grew up 25 minutes north of the Dome. I don't know why...maybe because they were pathetic? That can't be it though...I have always been a Red Sox fan.

Fantasy football has become my new addiction...I am afraid that it has diluted my passion for a favorite team. Perhaps I am shallow in that but, when I watch the games I see nothing but my players and his/her players. I blew Rajn's mind when I posted awhile back I am from Louisiana and my favorite team is the Pats...it's really because I like the Celtics and Red Sox...

When I was young I really liked Bo Jackson...so at one time the Raiders were my favorite...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been an Iowa boy all of my life. My father was a football fan, but not near as a die hard fan as I have become. I had the Vikings bred into me, but was also a fan of the Steelers during their Superbowl run (I was 7, of course I was a band wagon jumper :D. For some reason I was also a pirates fan during that time :doah: ). I eventually switched my allegiance back to the Vikings and have been a hard core vikings fan since. I eventually got rid of the Pirates also when a certain man named Kirby Puckett came into the league. I have had the heartaches through the years that all Vikings fans have had, and hopefully someday they will win the big one, so my *** Bears fan brothers will quit rubbing that superbowl ring in my face.

Fair point but I tend to see the professional sports teams in my city as businesses, not part of the community.

In college, you are a part of the community.  You are a fellow student or alumnus with the college athlete.

670810[/snapback]

Colleges are businesses too. Your fellow students coe from various parts of the country and are there for 4 or 5 years to get their degrees, then they scatter. You are part of that commiunity for a short time.

The professional sports teams in a city are part of that city's community. The players, like college players, come from all over to participate in that community, some longer than others, many longer than a college athlete. They live in the same neighborhoods, eat at the same restaurants, go to the same movie theatres, watch the same local TV stations, listen to the same local radio, etc., as the rest of the community. Try telling someone like Hines Ward or Jerome Bettis that he is not as much a part of this communty as the rest of us. Heck, Bill Cowher grew up here and graduated from the same high school that I did. Some atheletes remain part of the community after their playing careers are over. (E.g., Mario Lemieux).

I really don't think yours is a distinction with a difference.

Colleges are businesses too.  Your fellow students coe from various parts of the country and are there for 4 or 5 years to get their degrees, then they scatter.  You are part of that commiunity for a short time.

The professional sports teams in a city are part of that city's community.  The players, like college players, come from all over to participate in that community, some longer than others, many longer than a college athlete.  They live in the same neighborhoods, eat at the same restaurants, go to the same movie theatres, watch the same local TV stations, listen to the same local radio, etc., as the rest of the community.  Try telling someone like Hines Ward or Jerome Bettis that he is not as much a part of this communty as the rest of us.  Heck, Bill Cowher grew up here and graduated from the same high school that I did.  Some atheletes remain part of the community after their playing careers are over.  (E.g., Mario Lemieux). 

I really don't think yours is a distinction with a difference.

670844[/snapback]

We shall have to agree to disagree.

By the way, when was the last time you saw a college pack up its belongings in a bunch of semis and drive off in the middle of the night like Robert Irsay and the Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts? Professional teams are businesses.

Edited by Homey123

We shall have to agree to disagree.

By the way, when was the last time you saw a college pack up its belongings in a bunch of semis and drive off in the middle of the night like Robert Irsay and the Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts?  Professional teams are businesses.

670848[/snapback]

The city is the community, not the team. You can't pick up and drive the city away.

Both college and professional teams are part of their communities, not the community itself. Athletes from all over the country/world choose to become part of that community and its team, usually for a relatively short period of time, often with no prior connections to it, nor an intention to remain part of it after their playing days are over. A college team might not voluntarily pack up and leave the college the way a professional team can, but (1) the college team can be suspended or cut, and (2) how many NFL teams have moved over the years?

Regardless, while that team is part of one's community, there is no reason to feel less connected to in than one did for one's college community.

The city is the community, not the team.  You can't pick up and drive the city away. 

Both college and professional teams are part of their communities, not the community itself.  Athletes from all over the country/world choose to become part of that community and its team, usually for a relatively short period of time, often with no prior connections to it, nor an intention to remain part of it after their playing days are over.  A college team might not voluntarily pack up and leave the college the way a professional team can, but (1) the college team can be suspended or cut, and (2) how many NFL teams have moved over the years? 

Regardless, while that team is part of one's community, there is no reason to feel less connected to in than one did for one's college community.

670865[/snapback]

Semantics again with "community." And did you mean "sanctioned" not suspended?

And, just off the top of my head, at least 6 NFL teams have moved, BAL, IND, TEN, OAK, ARI, STL. That's 20% in just the past 25 years or so.

Can't a lawyer do a better job of arguing than this?

Edited by Homey123

Semantics again with "community."

And, just off the top of my head, at least 6 NFL teams have moved, BAL, IND, TEN, OAK, ARI, STL.  That's 20% in just the past 25 years or so.

Can't a lawyer do a better job of arguing than this?

670870[/snapback]

(1) It is not semantics. The definition of community is very important, as it is connection with the community that drives the rabid following of its sports teams, be they college or pro.

(2) You forgot Cleveland, nimrod.

(3) As a lawyer, I know that when the judge is arguing the other side's case for it, I'm not going to win. I can continue to point out where that judge is erring, but (s)he is not really listening to what I am saying. It is not a flaw in my argument, but rather the fact that it is falling on deaf ears.

(4) The topic at hand is emotion - the emotional connection to one's team. Emotion does not lend itself to explanation - you either feel it or you don't. If you are for some reason incapable of feeling an emotional connection to your team, I cannot make you understand mine. All I can offer is my sympathy, because you don't know what you're missing.

With all the “homerism” displayed, especially during playoff time, it got me thinking about all the different “favorite” teams I have had through my life. 

Neither of my parents were Football fans (but evolved to like it as I got more involved, played and coached), and it is truly a love that I developed on my own, maybe was even born with.  Due to this and the fact that we moved around a lot as a kid, I have had a few different favorite teams through my life.  I even tend to “follow” a team from each division as my group of “second favorite” teams.  This helps me really stay in touch with the NFL and helps with player awareness for Fantasy Football.

Some people I am sure, have lived in the same area for most of their lives and bled their team color, without fail, for their full life memory.  I was interested in seeing what you all have to say about “team loyalty” from a fans perspective, and see how many of the “wandering alliance” fans we have as opposed to the life-long diehards.

My first two favorite teams were the Packers and the Rams.  The Rams had cool helmets (hey, I was six)  and the Pack had Starr, Lombardi and a lot of TV coverage, which I am sure influenced my allegiance as a child learning the game on my own.

As I became more aware of all the teams, and discovered my Grandpa was a Steeler fan, I became a Steeler fan.  We also lived part of the year in Florida, and was fortunate enough to be a BIG Phin fan during the 17-0 season (much more impressive than whatever the Pats fans spew about, I have already forgotten “how many in a row” they have won).  Living in Connecticut, I also liked the Pats, but back then they were the Boston Patriots, and did not try to appeal to all of New England until after we had moved away.  I have always kinda rooted for them as well anyway.

When we moved to San Diego, I was excited to finally have “my own” “NFL” team in the actual city I lived in.  I have endured the horrid drug infested years of Harland Savare, the Glory years of Air Coryell, Bobby Ross and the first Super Bowl (butt whoopin  :D  :moon:  :D  ), the misery of the 90’s and the pleasant surprise of 2004 B)  :yay:  :D  B)  !

So, most of my life I have been a Bolt fan, but those old allegiances don’t seem to die.  I still keep a hopeful eye on those other teams (unless they are playing or effecting the Chargers), but have settled in to being a Charger fan.  I think that it is so ingrained now, that moving to a different city won’t ever change that!

What is funny, is that some of these Pats fans, see: RETARDEDTUNA, are so stupid and pushy (pumping Brady as God etc.) about the wonderful accomplishments of the organization that they drive the fringe fan like me away!  I thought I was going to enjoy the Pats/Steeler game more as a football fan, given my past feelings, than wanting one team to win over the other.  What I found was a inner desire to see the Steelers win so morans like UT would shut up!  These guys are, if possible, more obnoxious and ridiculous than Raider fans!  I think the Pats will win the SB, but will be rootin' for the Eagles/underdog.

Well, this was longer than I expected/wanted, but it is something I don’t think I have seen here before.

:D

670509[/snapback]

ALL I CAN SAY...Its never too late to become q Patriots fan.

Cleveland became Baltimore sweetie.

670891[/snapback]

:D I realized as soon as I posted that that you were listing the cities to which, rather than from which, the teams moved. :D

Is that your only response?

Maybe you should quit this arguing stuff like Menudo did. He knew when he was beat.

670891[/snapback]

I think I will give up. Trying to explain these things to someone unwilling or unable to feel these emotion is like trying to explain "green" to someone who was born blind. It is futile. I can only pity you for your loss, as I, my family, my friends, my co-workers, and my employers remember fondly the joys of the Steelers 15-1 season, and consider the promise of next season with eager anticipation.

So Squeegie, what you're saying is that you derive tremendous emotional satisfaction from the ups and downs of your team.

That's fine. I don't know why you felt compelled to try to make some kind of rational argument for that. Because it's not possible to rationalize emotion.

You feel how you feel and that is right for you.

Personally, I get more emotional about things that are higher on my list of priorities such as family, friends, and job (since I'm not religious but most Americans are).

Consider this discussion over. I do thank you for your pity but I'm doing just fine without living vicariously through the Redskins or 49ers.

So Squeegie, what you're saying is that you derive tremendous emotional satisfaction from the ups and downs of your team.

That's fine.  I don't know why you felt compelled to try to make some kind of rational argument for that.  Because it's not possible to rationalize emotion.

You feel how you feel and that is right for you. 

Personally, I get more emotional about things that are higher on my list of priorities such as family, friends, and job (since I'm not religious but most Americans are). 

Consider this discussion over.  I do thank you for your pity but I'm doing just fine without living vicariously through the Redskins or 49ers.

670923[/snapback]

The great thing about emotion is that it is limitless. There's not a finite amont to spread around. Hence emotion for one's team does not in any way detract from emotion related to work, family, or friends. It adds to and often enhances these relationships. It's too bad that you can't understand. :D

It's too bad that you can't understand.  :D

670930[/snapback]

It's too bad you're dumb. I'm not going to argue a rhetorical question regarding whether or not emotion is limitless. Or the other rhetorical arguments you made.

However, attorney Squeegiebo, you have failed to factually rebut basically all of the factual points I made.

I know that lawyers like to resort to emotion when faced with a losing case. Maybe that's what's going on here.

I've told my story before...

I'm from Hartford, and I was a Patriots fan out of obligation. But, they were always disappointing. Then, Bob Kraft used Hartford as a pawn in his bid to get a new stadium from Massachusets.

Kraft said he'd move the team to Hartford... so the state spent millions getting ready for the Pats before Kraft pulled the plug. We had to sue him... don't know how that turned out.

Anyway, that was the last straw. To screw your own fans so badly that they have to sue you? I gave up. I was a drifter. I kinda liked Pittsburgh, but I couldn't just jump in for no reason.

Then I moved to Colorado. Over the years, the Broncos have won me over. I think they are a great franchise, and I'll keep rooting for them, even if they do keep Jake Plummer. :D

Go Broncos!!

You're done arguing, huh? I knew that wasn't true.

On one hand, you admit that this is about emotion, which is not subject to rational argument, and on the other you point to all these alleged facts that I failed to rebut. Which is it?

I know that amature debaters resort to personal attacks when faced with losing. That's clearly what is going on here.

Cleveland became Baltimore sweetie.

Maybe you should quit this arguing stuff like Menudo did.  He knew when he was beat.

670891[/snapback]

:D

We all know that U.T. is the most annoying huddler, I think we now have the runner-up.

It's too bad you're dumb.  I'm not going to argue a rhetorical question regarding whether or not emotion is limitless.  Or the other rhetorical arguments you made. 

However, attorney Squeegiebo, you have failed to factually rebut basically all of the factual points I made.

I know that lawyers like to resort to emotion when faced with a losing case.  Maybe that's what's going on here.

670933[/snapback]

Squeegie, give up, you are obviously dealing with someone that is intellectually above us all. Homey123, do you have a book that I could read about how to be better at this "life" thing. You seem to have it all down and I admire you for giving us all tips. Also, you seem to dislike people or at least look down on people who are die-hard fans, your interests, as you've clearly stated, are family, job, etc., so why don't you go to one of those forums. This forum is about FOOTBALL. We will all miss the great advice given by someone who has life figured out, but I'll try to survive. :D

You're done arguing, huh?  I knew that wasn't true. 

On one hand, you admit that this is about emotion, which is not subject to rational argument, and on the other you point to all these alleged facts that I failed to rebut.  Which is it?

I know that amature debaters resort to personal attacks when faced with losing.  That's clearly what is going on here.

670939[/snapback]

Squeebiebo, you are hopeless.

I stipulate that you get some kind of intense pleasure from living vicariously through the Steelers.

Being that you are a professional debater, I am merely emphasizing your failure as a debater between this and the "rabid fan" thread.

You start trying to make rational arguments such as a college is a business, fail to rebut my factual arguments, then say...ah well, I just like it because I do.

And, you committed to stop arguing first.

I'm making you earn your post numbers tonight aren't I? :D

Edited by Homey123

Squeegie, give up, you are obviously dealing with someone that is intellectually above us all.  Homey123, do you have a book that I could read about how to be better at this "life" thing.  You seem to have it all down and I admire you for giving us all tips.  Also, you seem to dislike people or at least look down on people who are die-hard fans, your interests, as you've clearly stated, are family, job, etc., so why don't you go to one of those forums.  This forum is about FOOTBALL.  We will all miss the great advice given by someone who has life figured out, but I'll try to survive.    :D

670948[/snapback]

Menudo, chill.

Between this and the other post about rabid fans, I was just trying to understand the hardcore, 100 post-a-day fan. You could have said, I like it because I do like Squeegiebo or I combine this with friends and family or something like that.

By the way, I am smarter than you.

Menudo, chill.

Between this and the other post about rabid fans, I was just trying to understand the hardcore, 100 post-a-day fan.  You could have said, I like it because I do like Squeegiebo or I combine this with friends and family or something like that.

670956[/snapback]

Sorry, I might be a little on edge due to the fact that MY Steelers lost and that I derive a lot of pleasure from them winning...... :D

ARE NOT ! MY DAD CAN BEAT UP YOUR DAD ! :D

With all the “homerism” displayed, especially during playoff time, it got me thinking about all the different “favorite” teams I have had through my life. 

Neither of my parents were Football fans (but evolved to like it as I got more involved, played and coached), and it is truly a love that I developed on my own, maybe was even born with.  Due to this and the fact that we moved around a lot as a kid, I have had a few different favorite teams through my life.  I even tend to “follow” a team from each division as my group of “second favorite” teams.  This helps me really stay in touch with the NFL and helps with player awareness for Fantasy Football.

Some people I am sure, have lived in the same area for most of their lives and bled their team color, without fail, for their full life memory. I was interested in seeing what you all have to say about “team loyalty” from a fans perspective, and see how many of the “wandering alliance” fans we have as opposed to the life-long diehards.

670509[/snapback]

You'd better watch it. I was raked over the coals for this last week! :D

All kidding aside, good topic...

I became a Bears fan in the early '80s (during Ditka's first season as HC) when my family moved to the Chicago area. I've been a die-hard Bears fan ever since. Even though they've been in the playoffs something like twice over the past 10 years, I still try to make it out to one game per year (assuming that I can get tickets), still watch their games on Sunday (when they're televised in the Indy area), and still wear Bears gear. The only time I've ever cried over sports was the day that Walter Payton, my hero since age 8, passed away. It's been a difficult ride lately, but I am (and have been) in it for the long haul.

I went to grad school in Indiana in the late '90s and started following the Colts when they burst onto the scene in '99. While I actively root for them, attend a few games per year, and own an appreciable amount of Colts gear, I do not consider myself a "die-hard" Colts fan. They are simply my "other team" that plays in the AFC and rarely faces the Bears on Sunday. And while Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison are two of my all-time faves, they'll always play second fiddle to Walter Payton and Mike Singletary.

That said, I will not for any more NFL teams. Two is more than enough. There is a strong possiblity that I will be moving to Texas soon, but there's no way that I'll become a Texans fan or root for the Cowboys (who I've hated for years).

You'd better watch it.  I was raked over the coals for this last week!   B)

All kidding aside, good topic...

I became a Bears fan in the early '80s (during Ditka's first season as HC) when my family moved to the Chicago area.  I've been a die-hard Bears fan ever since.  Even though they've been in the playoffs something like twice over the past 10 years, I still try to make it out to one game per year (assuming that I can get tickets), still watch their games on Sunday (when they're televised in the Indy area), and still wear Bears gear.  The only time I've ever cried over sports was the day that Walter Payton, my hero since age 8, passed away.  It's been a difficult ride lately, but I am (and have been) in it for the long haul.

I went to grad school in Indiana in the late '90s and started following the Colts when they burst onto the scene in '99.  While I actively root for them, attend a few games per year, and own an appreciable amount of Colts gear, I do not consider myself a "die-hard" Colts fan.  They are simply my "other team" that plays in the AFC and rarely faces the Bears on Sunday.  And while Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison are two of my all-time faves, they'll always play second fiddle to Walter Payton and Mike Singletary.

That said, I will not for any more NFL teams.  Two is more than enough.  There is a strong possiblity that I will be moving to Texas soon, but there's no way that I'll become a Texans fan or root for the Cowboys (who I've hated for years).

670964[/snapback]

Are you trying to say that you are a fan of two teams ?!!!!!! :D:D

Edited by Menudo

I was born in Iowa, where there are no pro sports, so I kinda rooted for who my dad did, which was the Bears. But then I got sick of rooting for the Bears, and decided to pick a team to root for and I have been a die hard Kansas City Chiefs fan since I was 8. Suffered threw the heartbreak of Marcus Allens fumble in 94, Lin Elliotts shortcomings in 95, and the heartbreaker against Denver in 1997. Lotta heartbreak. Of course when Marty Schottenheimer is the head coach for many years, you can only expect heartbreak. I suppose Cleveland Brown fans feel the same way. Living in the Twin Cities, it's kind of hard not to get excited about the Minnesota Vikings. It's a pro football town, so I guess I kinda like the Vikes, but that's mostly just cuz they are THE team of the town.

As a football fan, I love watching dynasties unfold. Cowboys of the 90's (hated em to be sure, but you *** sure respected em). Niners of the 80's was a real joy, and now I just love watching the New England Patriots play the game of football. Not necessarily a Patriots fan, but I like Tom Brady, and I just like watching them play.

Not very original...but I became a Cowboys fan in the late seventies. We had come back from two years in Korea and I found this thing called football. Not knowing any better, I decided to pick a team that was close to where I was born (Kilgore) and never looked back. I have, like many other Cowboys fan, lived through their non-dynasty, but remain a faithful Cowboys fan.

I have not followed the goings on with Dallas during the off season the past three or four years as I used to (work, family, etc.). I will admit that during the playoffs, I do root for other teams if the Cowboys are not in the playoffs (and even if they are, like last season, I'd like to think that I was realistic about their chances and not just spew homer-isms about how great they are and will win it all :D).

I got my son interested in the NFL four or so years ago and he really like Jerry Rice and became a 9'ers fan (where did I go wrong?). He then followed Jerry and became a Raiders fan. When Jerry went to Seattle, my son said "meh" and no longer follows the NFL. :D

My youngest son? If he can't control the teams with a joystick while the games are on TV or they do not include the NFL teams in Halo 2/Warcraft/UT2004/etc., forget it.

Edited by Gunther