[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your favorite Team(s) through the years.

McBoog

Not very original...but I became a Cowboys fan in the late seventies. We had come back from two years in Korea and I found this thing called football. Not knowing any better, I decided to pick a team that was close to where I was born (Kilgore) and never looked back. I have, like many other Cowboys fan, lived through their non-dynasty, but remain a faithful Cowboys fan.

I have not followed the goings on with Dallas during the off season the past three or four years as I used to (work, family, etc.). I will admit that during the playoffs, I do root for other teams if the Cowboys are not in the playoffs (and even if they are, like last season, I'd like to think that I was realistic about their chances and not just spew homer-isms about how great they are and will win it all :D).

I got my son interested in the NFL four or so years ago and he really like Jerry Rice and became a 9'ers fan (where did I go wrong?). He then followed Jerry and became a Raiders fan. When Jerry went to Seattle, my son said "meh" and no longer follows the NFL. :D

My youngest son? If he can't control the teams with a joystick while the games are on TV or they do not include the NFL teams in Halo 2/Warcraft/UT2004/etc., forget it.

670988[/snapback]

Thanks for your service!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was 7 when the Colts moved to Indianapolis. I remember how excited my Dad was when he "won" the Colts lottery and got season tickets. My first game was in 1984 against the Cardinals. During the lean years, I would root for the Chiefs in the play-offs. I loved Steve DeBerg for some reason. :D I've been a season ticket holder since 1996. The 1-15 year in 1991 was tough, as were the back to back 3-13 years in 1997 and 1998. But man, do I love my Colts.

Homey123, just because you don't have a team you identify with, or root for, doesn't mean it is irrational for others to do so. I thought the statement about people going to college for 4 years, perhaps not even nearby, was very accurate. 4 years does not equal growing up in an NFL city. You can get attached to a team very easily. People get together in your town to cheer on a team, there are parties, it kind of brings everyone together for a purpose. Have you ever been to an NFL game on opening day? Have you ever been to an NFL play-off game? I doubt it.

Edited by CaptainHook

Thanks for your service!

670995[/snapback]

Oh no...sorry, SuperBalla. I did not mean to imply that I was in the service. I went with my mom and sister to Korea after she divorced my dad (very sad day and will not bore anyone with that).

I came back in 1972 when I was eight years old.

But my humble thanks to you (and the many, many others) for your service! :D

Played, Coached - just love it. I grew up in Philly so I bleed Eagle green.

I live in a city that has it's closest football team four hours away(Panthers). Growing up I sort of pulled for the Redskins. My grandfather was friends with Larry Pecitello who was the linebackers coach there fro the mid 80's to late 90's. He used to get me autographs from their players including a football from the entire 92' team. Now I'm a Panthers fan. I went to school in Greensboro and I've spent every weekend down in the heart of Carolina for almost ten years now. I was going to their games when they were 1 and 15.

Oh no...sorry, SuperBalla. I did not mean to imply that I was in the service. I went with my mom and sister to Korea after she divorced my dad (very sad day and will not bore anyone with that).

I came back in 1972 when I was eight years old.

But my humble thanks to you (and the many, many others) for your service! :D

671000[/snapback]

Your Welcome...it is instilled in me to say thanks...I know what those guys went through...to a degree fortunately no combat. Thanks for clearing that up... :D

Use to be a L.A. Rams fan way back with Roman Gabriel and Jack Snow would hook up. Remembered the Youngblood brothers, that was a mean darn team then. But when Seattle became a franchise, well the rest is history. I dabled in the Dolphins when Kick, Morris and Czonka were there. Paul Warfield and Griese were a heck of a pair too if memory serves me.

I will always be a Seahawk fan... :D for many reasons, but one which I have stated before is my mom (god rest her football soul) and I would watch them play when they were televised and shout and high five and curse them for years. They are rooted deep down in my soul...could never give them up.

I grew up in NY, my father was a NYG season ticket holder while we lived in the Bronx (and they were playing in Yankee Stadium). We moved to Poughkeepsie, they moved to CT (temporarily) and my dad gave up those tickets. But my family remained Giant fans, and my father and older brother would complain about the Raiders all the time. They cheated, they were dirty, etc. Now at this time in my life, I'm about 7 years old and I'm hearing this and seeing on TV images of a team in black with a pirate logo, with a guy in the stands dressed as Darth Vader with a sword that said "Offense" on it and a Shield with Defense written on it. A team of dirty cheating pirates that my family hates? They had me at hello.

I've been a die-hard Raider fan since, going on about 28 years now. I still pull for the Giants as my #2, but my heart is black and I bleed silver.

I was never really a big football fan until sometime around 1990...I idolized Barry Sanders and started following the Lions. They were fun to watch for a few years with the run and shoot, back when they had Moore and Perriman, and then later Moore and Morton to compliment Barry. Since Barry retired, the Lions are never on National television other than Thanksgiving so it's nearly impossible for me to watch any of their games (I live in Jersey). I guess over the last 5 or 6 years, I have kind of become a bit of a closet Jets fan. I don't really consider myself a true Jets fan, but since the Tuna, they've mostly stayed interesting, competitive, and since they are always on TV I do find myself rooting for them now.

Despite the current bandwagon fever about "New England", they were a Massachusetts team when I was growing up -- just like the Montreal Expos never caught on in Vermont. When I grew up in the late 60s early 70s, folks in my part of Vermont were mainly fans of the Giants and the Cowboys, with a few Patriot fans and one oddball Redskin fan bouncing around. Mostly, it revolved around baseball allegiances -- if you were a Yankee fan, you rooted for the Cowboys ... if you were a Red Sox fan you rooted for the Giants or Patriots. I wasn't a Yankees or Red Sox fan (As a kid with little pure talent but plenty of effort, I'd already devoted myself to Pete Rose's hustle and headfirst slide), so I was left to my own eyes and heart ... and, just as I did to find a baseball hero, went looking for players who played like I thought you ought to play.

I wasn't impressed with any of the "local loves" ... They didn't play the game the way it was meant to be played. I respected Staubach and Landry, but the team just didn't click with me. The Gmen and Patriots played unimpressive football. HOWEVER -- watch the Steeeeeel Curtain defense shut some folks down. Jack Lambert was incredible. Watch the Steeeeeelers pound the ball on the ground -- Rocky Blier was tough, Franco was strong like bull. Watch Bradshaw connect with the acrobatic Lynn Swann. Wow. Swann was great and Bradshaw was tough. THAT was impressive stuff. Passionate stuff. Players who cared. Players who gave all their effort on the field. Players who played hurt. Football outdoors in the cold and the snow and the wind ... THESE guys played the game the way it was meant to be played. GO STEEEEEEEELERS came early for me ...

So I became a Steeeeeeelers fan and in my second year of rooting, they won their first Superbowl and I was hoooked for life. I've never waivered. 13-3 or 3-13, I wear my Steeeeeeeler stuff and stand by my team. I watch people jump on and off bandwagons or forget their teams when times are hard or hide from newsgroups when they lose and just feel sorry for them. I like being a STEEEEEELER fan, regardless of how their record is, because there's always someone like Mean Joe Green or Jack Lambert or Gregg Lloyd or Rod Woodson or Levon Kirkland or Hines Ward ... even Bill Cowher as a coach ... who reeeeeeeally plays the game the way the game should be played.

I was born and raised in Iowa (and still live in Iowa). My dad wasn't much of a football fan but was a huge Yankee fan so I really didn' t have a choice in what baseball team to like. A friend of mine had three older brothers who were all Steeler fans. I spent a lot of time at his house so I guess that's how came to be a Steelers fan. There were six of us growing up that always had the same Steelers coats all through grade school. I'm sure some of you remember the ones with the fake leather sleaves that would crack over time. We sure thought we were cool. I've been a Steelers fan ever since. I've been to four Steelers games, all at 3 Rivers stadium. I've yet to make it to Hienz field but I'm sure I will in time. My trips to those four Steeler games only reinforced my love for the Steelers. It's a great city and I would love to live there. Everyone we met was super nice. I got to be pretty good friends with a guy I met at the first game and met up with him the next few times I was out there. I suspect I'll probably stay in Iowa but regardless of where I live I can assure you I'll always be a die hard Steeler fan.

I grew up in SW Virginia. Down there, you are one of two things: Redskins fan or not a Redskins fan. As a kid, I remember liking the Steelers, but much like Darin3, I did not quite understand the whole favorite team thing then, just liked the colors and the Steelers seemed to win all the time. I also liked that Mean Joe Green Coke commercial pretty much.

I have lived in or near two other cities where there have been teams. I never really pulled against the Panthers or the Broncos, but I was a Redskins fan. It really did not matter to me either way with the other teams and I did not adopt anyone.

I have been getting my butt kicked for over a decade lately and it has not been easy. I get so excited about the skins that I am physically upset when they lose games they should have won and when they lose to Dallas. Mark my words, everyone. We shall persevere and will have our return to glory very soon. Let me introdue you all to a phrase that I have grown quite accustomed to: Wait till next year! :D

I became a sports fan around age 10 growing up in Dayton Ohio in the early '70s. So it is no surprise that I became diehard Cincinnati Reds fan at an early age. I recall the sisters at the catholic school I attended putting a tv in the hall so that everyone could get updates of the afternoon playoff games (remember those?) against the Pirates one year. No matter where I lived since then - New York, Texas, California - I have remained a Reds homer.

But football was a different matter. I didn't bond with the Bengals in the same way, probably because they weren't very good at the time. :D My Dad was a diehard Giants fan, but that didn't take either. My oldest brother had become a Rams fan when we lived in California - Roman Gabriel was his favorite player - but that didn't get me either. My other older brother was a Packers fan & I vaguely recall kind of liking them because of the Green & Gold & the tradition of winning. But then he jumped on the Dolphins bandwagon, which even as a child made me sick. :D

And then I saw an NFL Films segment on the Vikings & fell in love with the Purple People Eaters. I liked the color purple, I liked Vikings, the horned helmet was cool, & they played outdoors in the freezing cold! :D Alan Page & Carl Eller scared the heck out of me B) but I loved the way they played the game. And I idolized Fran Tarkenton, blindly believing that he was the greatest quarterback of all time. :D

Being a Vikings fan has never been easy. The first year I rooted for them (1972 IIRC) they went 7-7 & missed the playoffs. But then they went on a great run as one of the dynasty teams of the '70s. I suffered through 3 Super Bowl losses but never wavered in my support. Even after they built that accursed dome & became a soft indoors team that can't play defense, I've hung in there, always hoping against hope that they'll win the big one.

But that doesn't mean I haven't liked other teams over the years. It's hard not to like the local teams at least a bit. Besides the local media coverage, it is just neighborly to root for the teams supported by your neighbors & friends. B) And fantasy football can connect you with teams also. Since Donovan McNabb has been one of the best players on my local keeper league for the last several years, I have developed a certain fondness for the Eagles. As much as I respect what the Patriots have accomplished, I will be rooting for the Eagles in the SB this year because of McNabb (& Reid) as a result. But that fondness for the Eagles didn't stop me from rooting for the Vikings against them in the divisional game last week. :doah:

When we moved from Wisconsin to the DC area in 1981, I was 5 years old and shortly after that Gibbs won his first SB. So as a young kid I was a Skins fan. I'm sure part of it was trying to fit in and there wasn't much to cheer about in Packerland back then, but to this day I still follow them (kind of hard not to when you live in Skins territory) and will root for them against most other teams. I must admit it has been tougher in recent years because I despise Snyder and thought Spurrier was a joke. Once I was old enough to really "pick" a team I started following the Pack and I've never looked back. It helped that Majkowski and Sharpe were giving Packer fans something to cheer for around that time.

I grew up all over the US but I always liked the Dolphins. I remember one of the greatest football games ever played; the playoff game between Miami and San Diego. Anyway, I was a huge Dolphin fan until Marino retired. I never was able to get excited about the Dolphins for some reason but it never quite felt the same. And then I started playing fantasy football and that really watered down any allegiance I had left for Miami.

Oddly enough, I do find myself rooting for the Patriots because of their team first attitude but I hated anything to do with Boston as I used to live in Western Mass and was tired of hearing about those teams. I like the Pats, Dolphins, and Jags in the AFC and the Seahawks, Panthers and Eagles in the NFC.

When push comes to shove, I will always root for the AFC team.

B) He has 7 posts - all of them stalking Squeegiebo. :D

671582[/snapback]

Who's gonna talk trash to someone they don't know. You would have to have about 30 or 40 posts to get some familiararity with the other Huddlers. This jerkoff has decided that he doesn't like Squeege and he's posting negative crap about her for no reason. I hope this guy has an early death. :D

Edited by Jumpin Johnies

Who's gonna talk trash to someone they don't know.  You would have to have about 30 or 40 posts to get some familiararity with the other Huddlers.  This jerkoff has decided that he doesn't like Squeege and he's posting negative crap about her for no reason.  I hope this guy has an early death. :D

671592[/snapback]

:D Thank's for defending my honor, but it is really unnecessary.