[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chargers lose Huock - McBoog's Analysis

McBoog

Though no word has come out of Charger camp, I did hear an interesting analysis this morning about what may behind this move. That coupled with some pther things I have seen and heard "in the know" with the Bolts, I have come up with the following for those of you who care.

The Chargers did try to get Houck to come back and offered him nice money, not what the Fish ponied up (He is now the 2nd highest paid O-line coach behind Atlanta’s), but decent money.

Here is the problem, they needed to sign practically ALL of the staff, and many of them are newer, upstart coaches who obviously are doing a great job, but still need to do it consistently over the next few years to really become viable as big money coaches. The only “proven” guy with a track record of long term success was Houck, and hence deserved the big money.

Despite all of the idiotic things that the Chargers and their ownership has done, I can say this, they have not been bad because they have been cheap with the cash. They have thrown a lot of money at this club to try to make it better, but bad luck and judgement has been the standard course. Heck, Ryan Leaf put this organization back 4 –5 years. Spending has NOT been the concern! A.J. Smith, the GM, is the guy that has to be credited with most of the positive that has gone on with this organization over the last two years, and at least for now, I am willing to trust his judgement and see what happens!

Now, apply that back to the coaching situation. The Chargers have Marty, tied up for three years now with his extension, and a bunch of coaches, sans Wade Phillips (who has probably run his course as a viable head coach and has settled into his niche in the NFL is as a D coordinator), who are still in the proving themselves mode. They all had to be resigned, specifically, Cam Cameron, the Offensive Coordinator. Cam is an ingenious young mind in the game and is proving his worth as an Offensive guru, but he still has to prove he can do this on a year in, year out basis. He, at this time, does not command the $850 Gs that Huock does, but is more important to the offense as a whole than the O-line coach. Since the O-line coach works FOR the offensive coordinator, you would then have to turn around and sign Cam for more than that (1.1 mil ???), which he has still not proven he is worth yet. Same goes for all the other position coaches, and then it rolls over to the defensive side of the ball as well.

Now, the Chargers are not cheap, but investing heavily in a staff that has only had one winning season and no playoff WINS in three seasons is a risky investment. Based on this, I can see why the Chargers probably felt their hands were tied. These contracts are usually guaranteed, and if the wheels suddenly fall off, it is a bad investment. If they prove that they can win for a couple more years, then throwin’ down the bones would be appropriate at that time to keep the staff together.

I am NOT happy about losing Hudson. I have met him and would run through a wall for the guy for free! Most of you know how many props I was giving this guy at the beginning of the season and why LT was still the #1 overall IMO. He will make that line in Miami better. But given the circumstances, and the yet to be determined course the Bolts will take at QB regarding Brees and Rivers, in do understand why this went down as it did.

I still say sell/trade Brees high while the value is there! If he was/is a one year wonder, you have gained nothing and just set back the clock an extra year in Rivers’ development. Rivers IS the future of this club. Why would other teams be sniffing more around a trade for Rivers than one for Brees? There has been more interest in acquiring Rivers, despite everyone knowing the enormous cap hit the Bolts would take. Trade Brees for a #1 and something else this year, they walk into the draft with THREE #1s and 21 million under the salary cap! A nice position for a team coming off of a playoff run! I still think they are at least a season away from a serious shot at a championship run and should get Rivers the experience now and not expose themselves to a Ben Rothlesburger situation in the playoffs when the rest of the team is solid.

Out of all the names I have heard emerge as potential replacements, the one that intrigues me the most would be the return of Carl Mauck to the Chargers. He was a monster in the Fouts era, is a good teacher and player’s guy, and would not try to change anything, but rather adapt well to what has been already established.

LINK to article regarding Chargers coaching situation and loss of Huock to the Dolphins. No hard feelings toward the Bolts.

As a Dolphins fan, I am happy with this move. They definitely need to improve that horrible O-Line and this seems to be a step in the right direction. For my fantasy decisions this now hurts LT, I think. I don't know if it hurts enough to drop him from the #1 slot on my board though.

For the Brees and Rivers situation, I really think they would be better off keeping Brees. I think Rivers is going to be a major bust, granted we have not seen anything from him in the pros, but I just was not overly impressed with him in college. At this point they could probably still get more for Rivers than Brees, although they would take a huge cap hit.

Nice analysis of the Houck situation! B) I agree with your assessmanet of Mauck as a possible replacement. The other candidates didn't sound as attractive to me.

One rumor I heard was that Dallas might be a club the Chargers would trade Brees to after slapping the franchise tag on him (maybe with a #1 draft pick thrown in? :D ) Brees is from Texas and may like that move also. :D

blaw23. How can you NOT be impressed with what Rivers did in college. I won't go into his accomplishments, too much time and effort. He has the head, the size and the arm (Brees lacks the gun that Rivers has and consistently underthrew wide open recievers on deep patterns this year).

Yeah Chargerz, that was the chatter early, especially after Madden talked about it as a possibility on Thanksgiving Day on national TV. But even the Cowboys initial inquiries to the team has been for Rivers. You think the rest of the NFL knows something about this kid (Rivers) that victory starved Charger fans don't?

We need to go with Rivers, let the team develope with him at QB another year and then take the shots for a few years after next season! Like I said, the Bolts just aren't quite there yet, especially on the defensive side of the ball, and another year with Wade AND some FAs and draft picks can make this team scary for years to come! WOW! A positive outlook from a Chrger fan... for a change? :D

As a Dolphins fan, I am happy with this move.  They definitely need to improve that horrible O-Line and this seems to be a step in the right direction.  For my fantasy decisions this now hurts LT, I think.  I don't know if it hurts enough to drop him from the #1 slot on my board though.

For the Brees and Rivers situation, I really think they would be better off keeping Brees.  I think Rivers is going to be a major bust, granted we have not seen anything from him in the pros, but I just was not overly impressed with him in college.  At this point they could probably still get more for Rivers than Brees, although they would take a huge cap hit.

673573[/snapback]

McBoog is correct. After watching Rivers for his entire college career, he was flat out great. The best part is that he has it were it counts, between the ears. He's smart and can make things happen. He has a definite great future in the NFL.

thanks for the info on the coaching staff.

my concern about trading Brees while his value is high, is that you are turning over a division winner to a QB with no experience. It could be akin to what they did in CIN (except they were not a playoff team) when Palmer did nothing but hold a clipboard for a year, and then was starter from training camp on in his second year. It is a very risky proposition.

If there are other teams high on Rivers, they might want to explore trading him for a first rounder and some extras (i haven't done any research on what QB's are going to be first round picks, and how they would compare to Rivers). I have never been a fan of drafted players holding out for more money, but a division title erases all the negative sh*t from the preseason. They would still come out ahead in their NYG trade on draft day 2004 with the extra picks, and they found a Pro-Bowl QB who is young enought to be their starter for the foreseeable future.

A one year winner on the pro level is a more valuable commodity than a younger QB with a stronger arm: it's trading a known for an unknown, which is a form of gambling.

IMHO, I would slap the franchise tag on Brees, keep Rivers to watch and learn from Brees and Flutie, and see if the Chargers can repeat as division champions. Maybe a two year apprenticeship might be the best scenario for a young QB, kind of like they did with McNair.

I value your opinion on here McBoog but this was just my opinion based on what I saw of Rivers. I just was never real impressed with Rivers. I don't want to get into an argument about it, that is just my opinion from when I watched him play. I think he will be a bust, maybe it is just a gut feeling. I had that same feeling about Tim Couch when everybody was in love with him. I am not saying I am some kind of QB genius just giving my opinion.

I actually think Rivers got a lot of help from Jericho Cotchery, I thought he made Rivers look better than he was, not the other way around.

I also thought Brees was just a product of his system in college. When you throw the ball 50 times a game you are bound to put up some pretty good numbers. Before this season I said he was mediocre at best, he actually impressed me some this year. Seemed to play a lot smarter than he had in the past. If the Chargers decide to stick with Rivers then good luck with him. I hope it turns out for you, except of course when they play the Dolphins. :D

...I also thought Brees was just a product of his system in college.  When you throw the ball 50 times a game you are bound to put up some pretty good numbers.  Before this season I said he was mediocre at best, he actually impressed me some this year.  Seemed to play a lot smarter than he had in the past.  If the Chargers decide to stick with Rivers then good luck with him.  I hope it turns out for you, except of course when they play the Dolphins. :D

674153[/snapback]

No argument intended. I was just interested on what you were basing your opinion. Gut feelings are good for me... only time will tell! :D

I still think that Brees is an average, now veteran QB with a less than impressive arm. That's just me. I think he was the product of a system that played to his strengths and solid preparation. He was having trouble getting the ball down field, and I noticed that they didn't seem to hit the BIG play as often as they should have. Even LT didn't break off many of those long TDs like he did last year.

It does look like they are going to get Mauck at O-line coach. He was recently ejected for going accross the field to throw a punch at someone on the opposing bench. Lots of fire in that guy!

LINK to Mauck article

Edited by McBoog