[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How it feels...

Bill Swerski

Thought this was interesting. The grabbing of the testicles is quite disturbing. :D

(Link)

ALAN FANECA, Steelers Guard

"At Tampa Bay, I had the ball at the bottom of the pile. It was away from my body, and I was trying to pull it toward me. Two guys were pulling my arms apart. A guy was digging into my ribs. Another guy was digging into my ear. The only way you'll keep the ball in that situation is if you have a teammate helping you and you can get it into your body and cradle it. Anyway, I lost the ball. There were still four people on top of me, including that ear guy. I said, 'I don't have the freaking ball anymore, stop digging in my ear.'"

IKE REESE, Eagles Linebacker

"When we played the Patriots last year [Eagles running back] Brian Westbrook fumbled a punt, and we were all down there scrambling for it. [Patriots linebacker] Mike Vrabel had my testicles in his hand, and he was squeezing them. Where the football ends up depends on who has the strongest will or the strongest hands. Guys reach inside the face mask to gouge your eyes. But the biggest thing is the grabbing of the testicles. It is crazy."

MARCO RIVERA, Packers Guard

"I've had guys go for the privates, guys try to put their elbow in my neck, guys reaching inside my helmet. It's really violent down there, trying to get that ball. It's dangerous. In my third year at Penn State, there was a fumble in the end zone. I dived for it with my arms outstretched, and five guys landed on me. Blew out my shoulder. I had to have surgery. That was the closest I've come to scoring a touchdown."

CORNELL BROWN, Ravens Linebacker

"The worst part is when the fat guys pile on top of you. All the wind is gone out of you, and you're still trying to fight. It scares you. You feel like you can't breathe, and you want everyone to get off you. I don't want people doing me wrong in there."

DAN WILKINSON, Lions Defensive Tackle

"There is no such thing as honor in there. You're talking about a possible game-winning or -losing situation. The ball generally changes hands only once. You have trouble breathing in the pile, let alone having enough room for the ball to be moving around. There's usually one thief able to take it away from somebody, and that's the end of it."

BEN LEBER, Chargers Linebacker

"I don't know if people really want to know what goes on down there: Basically anything you can't get away with on the field, you can get away with under that pile. Nobody can see you. The go-to spots are the eyes and the family jewels. If anybody grabs your family jewels, you are going to let go. In the pile you hear some screams of pain, but you don't know where it is coming from -- unless it's you."

STEVE GLEASON, Saints Safety

"We were playing Tampa Bay last year, and I just about lost my manhood trying to recover a fumble on a punt. I was shocked. I had the ball in my hand, and someone was reaching from behind me -- between my legs. I recovered the fumble, but when I got in the shower after the game, I literally had claw marks all over my inner thighs."

BRENTSON BUCKNER, Panthers DT

"See where somebody bit me right there [points to a scar on his right wrist]. This was my second year, against Cleveland, when I was trying to scoop the ball out of a pile. I don't know who bit me, but after the game I had to get a little [tetanus] shot. That was cool, though. The worst for me is that I can get claustrophobic. You're under there, and it's like everything closes in. I get scared sometimes because your head is stuck in the dirt, and it's like you can't breathe."

JASON FERGUSON, Jets Nosetackle

"My rookie year, me and [then teammate] linebacker Pepper Johnson were on the bottom. I heard Pepper yelling, 'Get the ball!' and I remembered something he told me: 'You've always got to grab a finger in a pile.' Well, he grabbed somebody's finger in that pile, and sure enough he came out with the ball. Just like proving an old rule."

KEYDRICK VINCENT, Steelers Guard

"The defensive linemen grab at your nuts, people try to poke your eyes out. If you're on the bottom, close in and tuck, do the fetal position. It's real ugly down there. But no spitting. Think about it -- you might spit on yourself."

I went to high scholl with one of the guys in that article. Cornell Brown was a senior when I was a freshman. I watched the Miami/Alabama national title game with the guy at my buddies house I believe in 1992. My buddy is a fellow huddler who's older sister was dating Cornell. I saw his older brother Rueben(Bears) in Lynchburg 4 or 5 years ago. This has little or no relevance to your post but it's interesting.

A few years ago in Sports Illustrated's This Week's Sign The Apocalypse is Upon Us some rugby player stuck his finger up another guys bunghole.

673701[/snapback]

Xpanda, aka Lolita, who still lurks here I think, had (has?) a ruby-playing boyfriend and, when that story/jpeg was passed around the Internet, we made fun of her re: her man having someone, uh, "examining" him in the scrum...anyone else remember that, or am I going senile? :D

That's exactly what I'm saying.  Next week, I will make my case for Belichick being a child-molester.  :D

673703[/snapback]

With that hood he's already got the "shadowy, lurking figure near the playground" look going on. :D

Xpanda, aka Lolita, who still lurks here I think, had (has?) a ruby-playing boyfriend and, when that story/jpeg was passed around the Internet, we made fun of her re: her man having someone, uh, "examining" him in the scrum...anyone else remember that, or am I going senile? :D

673707[/snapback]

Peyton Manning likes to get fingered in the bunghole.

Well, nobody ever accused most football players of being that bright.

I can't believe that there isn't some equipment company that hasn't invented protection that does the job without being a nuisance. Nor can I believe that those guys are dumb enough to let this happen to them.

Talk about your peer pressure. :D

Current dogma says that hard cups are bad for football players and few, if any wear them. They do have a thing called a soft cup, which basically cushions impact on a direct hit, which is usually enough. One local youth league actually outlawed the use of a hard cup because a blow or longer duration pressure (like being on the bottom of a pile and three fat guys sitting on you) to it can cause worse damage to the surrounding underlying muscle and connective tissue and increase the risk of hernia type injuries.

Hard Cups are much more worthwhile in a sport like soccer or baseball where the ball or a kick can do grazing type contact damage, where the cup deflects the blow as opposed to absorbing it. :D

I never wore a cup my entire football playing life and never caught a major "shot" to the snarklies.

The worst are those glancing blows that don't hurt immediately, but you know your balls are going to let you know they are "unhappy" and will let you know about it in about 5 to 10 seconds from when "it" happened... and all you can do is wait...

:DB):DB) :bigshock: :doah: :D :bawling:

Well, I played Division III football, where the players weren't nearly as big or as strong, and I can tell you that I've had some bad experiences on the bottom of those piles. I can only imagine what it is like in the NFL. I've never experienced the "family jewels" stuff at the bottom of the pile though, that must just be reserved for the pros.

Edited by Menudo