RB Free Agents

BUCCANEER 40

With all the talk about free agents  Alexander, Edge and L. Jordon, Why no talk about A.Thomas.

He seems like he would be quality RB for a couple of teams.  What's the deal with A-Train?

Is he a Starter next year?

673708[/snapback]

No, because he's simply Tyrone Wheatley with a few more moves and slightly more speed. And that's not saying much.

There's plenty of free agent talent that will be shifting around and plenty of talent coming out of college. Add in the fact that several rookies have cemented roles with their teams (the Joneses, McGahee [not a rookie last season but close], etc.).

:D

No, because he's simply Tyrone Wheatley with a few more moves and slightly more speed.  And that's not saying much.

There's plenty of free agent talent that will be shifting around and plenty of talent coming out of college.  Add in the fact that several rookies have cemented roles with their teams (the Joneses, McGahee [not a rookie last season but close], etc.).

:D

673948[/snapback]

I agree completely...he'd be a great backup on almost any team, but he's a limited guy physically, and he'll be extremely hard pressed to find a starting gig anywhere with all the other talented free agent RBs plus the incoming college class.

No, because he's simply Tyrone Wheatley with a few more moves and slightly more speed.  And that's not saying much.

673948[/snapback]

What a great description of A. Thomas! :D

I agree with darin and Skrappy. A. Thomas is back-up material only.

I disagree, Thomas has had 2 1000 yd + seasons in 3 yrs as a starter. His 3yr avg is 4.0 per rush, S.Alexanders is 4.2 over that same span. Thomas might not get the td's Alexander does, but he is a decent yardage back. If Thomas was a starter, i would guess he would rush for 1100-1200 yds and 6-8 tds......

I disagree, Thomas has had 2 1000 yd + seasons in 3 yrs as a starter. His 3yr avg is 4.0 per rush, S.Alexanders is 4.2 over that same span. Thomas might not get the td's Alexander does, but he is a decent yardage back. If Thomas was a starter, i would guess he would rush for 1100-1200 yds and 6-8 tds......

674298[/snapback]

A couple of major differences between Anthony Thomas and Shaun Alexander is that Alexander is an excellent receiver out of the backfield and Thomas is not, and Alexander is also more explosive than Thomas. Although Thomas has had

two 1,000 yard seasons, his high was 1,183 his rookie year. By all means, he had a very nice rookie campaign, however he was extremely disappointing the following year. He bounced back a bit his third season, but he was still far short of spectacular...he's just not the game-breaking type of RB that teams are looking for, he's more of a 3-4 yard and a cloud of dust type of guy.

I agree that if he landed a starting job somewhere, he is certainly capable of putting up 1,100 yards or so and 6-8 TDs as you have noted. The thing is, that's still pretty mediocre and that's his ceiling, the most that you could expect from him. That is why he is very unlikely to get a starting job anywhere, there are simply too many other guys more talented and with more upside that will get the open jobs ahead of A-Train.

I agree, that is mediocre #'s, but in a 12 team league where you start 2 Rbs, i'd take those #'s.......

674309[/snapback]

Sure, but we are talking probability of him landing an actual starting job somewhere in the NFL next season. The chances of him doing that are very slim, and he would of course need to do so to put up those numbers that we discussed. :D

Sure, but we are talking probability of him landing an actual starting job somewhere in the NFL next season.  The chances of him doing that are very slim, and he would of course need to do so to put up those numbers that we discussed.  :D

674419[/snapback]

Notice i said " IF he was a starter" LOL...LOL...

Edited by The Outfit

I just haven't heard of any teams being interested in him so far. We know Miami likes Henry, Oakland likes Jordan. Has anyone heard of a team coveting Thomas?

You gotta wonder why Thomas isn't the RB the Bears want to go with. I mean, Thomas Jones is on his 3rd team and Thomas couldn't beat him out.

I just don't see where he could go and be a starter. Maybe he could split carries somewhere.

Thomas has an outside chance of becoming a starter. If a team decides not to pay big $ on a FA or does not want to spend a high draft pick to get a rookie, I could see a team use him as a one or two year solution and then upgrading. He may also fit a committee backfield. Could be a very serviceable Runner, but he has about the same upside potenial as a guy like Rhodes. You may see some teams interested because he is cheap and a number of GMs might give the former ROY a shot. You may want to see if he lands somewhere, and you may keep him if you're in a large league (14 or more), where you keep around 8 guys. Then he's worth a flyer, but he will not become an Alexander.

Good Luck

Edited by Nomis

674298[/snapback]

So would virtually every backup RB in the NFL with a decent front line. You can do worse than the A Train, but he's had "success" in the NFL and never progressed on it. Teams are more likely to covet someone based on their potential (Jordan) than their perceived mediocrity.

... and their 5.whatever yards-per-carry doesn't hurt, either.  :D

682599[/snapback]

Absolutely not, but there's really no proof that Jordan is a better RB than Thomas. As a matter of fact, the stats are pretty much in favor of Thomas by a lot. Who is going to be more coveted?

So would virtually every backup RB in the NFL with a decent front line. You can do worse than the A Train, but he's had "success" in the NFL and never progressed on it. Teams are more likely to covet someone based on their potential (Jordan) than their perceived mediocrity.

I hope your not implying the bears have a good offensive line....I'll be honest with you, i like Jordan. But he's not an every down back. He also likes to put the ball on the carpet. If the Jets were so high on him, he would be replacing C.Martin.......

A-Train would be an immediate starter for:

Oakland

Arizona

Miami

San Francisco

Tampa Bay

Possibly Carolina - Depends on Davis or Foster's health, but he'd start over Goings

He'd also start over Maurice Morris or Dominic Rhodes if SEA or IND has vacancies.

He doesn't get enough cred IMO.

A-Train would be an immediate starter for:

Oakland

Arizona

Miami

San Francisco

Tampa Bay

Possibly Carolina - Depends on Davis or Foster's health, but he'd start over Goings

683607[/snapback]

He might start over the starting RBs that Oakland, Arizona or Miami had last year, but there is a large field of talented free agent and college RBs for those teams to pick from for the upcoming season. I seriously doubt that A-Train would have started over either Kevan Barlow or Michael Pittman though.

He'd also start over Maurice Morris or Dominic Rhodes if SEA or IND has vacancies.

I'm not sure of that either...Rhodes has arguably had a better season in his career (2001) than Thomas has ever had in his...he just has the mifortune of playing behind a great RB in Edgerrin James.

Edited by Skrappy1

If the Jets were so high on him, he would be replacing C.Martin.......

682868[/snapback]

Curtis Martin was the rushing leader this year. Don't you think it might be a little difficult to take his starting job from him? Maybe if Jordan was backing up Thomas Jones could I see your point.