[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2005 draft

devilwoman

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 DE (Hopefully a big powerful pocket collapser)

Unfortunately the draft is lacking in this department. Spears is 290+ but other than that most of the DEs are at or under 270lbs.

2a S  (Roman must go)

Yep. I think they may be fortunate in that Bates doesn't ask his safeties to play up on the line of scrimmage much so they don't need to necessarily find a guy in the mold of Roy Williams or Sean Taylor (though that would be nice). A guy with adequate size and good range will do.

3 a fast TE (Franks may not be resigned)

Not a very strong TE class either. Miller, Alex Smith (Standford) are the only guys the scouts think much of.

4 G  (Tauscher or Flannigan can move to guard, Wells could start)

The one area where I have confidence they will come up with something. Beightol has worked wonders dealing with injuries the last couple of years. He'll make something work.

5 QB (the next Tom Brady?)

Scouts think Frye (Akron) fits the Packers well. Tough, athletic, smart, good leader. Only question is his arm strength. He probably won't last until the 5th though. With good showings in pre-draft workouts he could work himself into the 3rd QB slot behind Smith and Rodgers.

6 WR/KR (Chatman does nothing special)

I like that guy Chad Owens from Hawaii. 5 TDs on returns alone last season.

7 CB (OVER 6ft tall!!)

Surprisingly, when asked what he liked about the current defensive squad, Bates said the corners :bigshock: Sometimes you have to wonder about the teams that consistently have good young corners: a)are they really that good at drafting corners? b)is the scheme corner friendly? c)are they just good at developing DBs? If I recall, Terrell Buckley was pretty much a washout until he signed with Miami and he then went on to have some of the best seasons of his career.

Edited by A Little Bit Special

Miami Dolphins #2

While there are quite a few area's that need to be addressed, I would grab a RB at the #2 slot.

Would love to grab Cedric Benson from Texas

675106[/snapback]

I'd have figured Dolphins' fans would be reticent to employ another UT RB.

My poor, poor 49ers... I don't even know where to start.

Help along the O-line would be my top priority. A big, physical WR would also be great. But how the injuries at QB and DEF heal up between now and then will likely determine the pick. Course, it won't surprise me if the 49ers trade down.

The Lions need defense.  They need help at every position (with the exception of tackle).  I think that the need to take the best defensive player available at any other postion.

Guys I like that may/will be there at 10 are Erasmus James (reach?),  Antrelle Rolle, Thomas Davis, Shaun Cody.

That idiot Millen will probably draft Miller though.

675343[/snapback]

If Millen drafts a TE at 10 he should be fired on the spot. I would love to see them grab a DE or a safety. Boss Bailey coming back should bolster the LB unit. I will admit I don't know the college defensive players as well as some, so I won't list any names. I will leave that to the "experts'. I hope Millen does the same.

4. Chicago Bears - Hmmm... where do I start?  We need a QB, a WR, a run-stopping DT, and another pass-rushing DE.

675575[/snapback]

Agree. They could also use a big, mean, nasty left offensive tackle.

Agree.  They could also use a big, mean, nasty left offensive tackle.

675900[/snapback]

Doesn't Tait play LT? I thought they moved him back there after he played RT with the Chiefs.

I heard an unsubstantiated rumor that they were going after Walter Jones in the offseason. Jones at LT and Tait at RT would be fantastic.

Even with Henry, the Edge and Alexander maybe hitting the market?  If at all possible, I suggest we trade down and pick up the best players available at whatever picks we end up with.  Outside of RB, there really isn't a glaring need as I feel the OL will gell this year - and I haven't given up on...er....Feeley

675196[/snapback]

Edge isn't going anywhere. Since Indy has Marvin and Peyton locked up, worse case scenario is they franchise him so rule him out.

Henry is interesting but has been a bit inury prone as of late. Plus Buffalo isn't gonna be keen on trading him off to a divisional rival. I would say chances of getting him are slim.

*EDIT*

Intersting Article About Henry

Alexander said earlier this year he want's to come to Miami. But the problem is he's gonna fetch quite a bit of cash on the open market. Miami is around 17 mil over the cap for next year which means they gotta cut the fat for one and they probably won't be able to sign any high price FA's.

I have a feelin Saban want's a rookie RB to kind of add his signature to the new team he's gonna put together.

Just my .02

Edited by 'canes2004

Can we trade Carl Peterson to MIN for Randy Moss?

In all seriousness, if we do not draft a shut-down corner, a potentially dominating linebacker, I'd like to see us get a spectacular prospect for WR1 as Kennison and Morton just won't be cutting it for much longer (not that they are cutting it now, mind you)...

675105[/snapback]

And since a shut down corner is rarely ever found to have an immediate impact, they must pull off a steal of a deal and move up in the draft and select Derrick Johnson from Texas. We know they won't, but know he'll be a stud. I want the meanest, toughest SOB LB the Chiefs can find. I've got 3 side bets already that we select a DT with the pick. Have they ever drafted what we needed?

13. Houston Texans

The Texans are still a relatively young team (experience wise) so they could possibly have some of the younger players step up this year. But at a glance there are a few spots I would start with off the top of my head:

1. A playmaking DT to help stop up the middle is really a big need. Seth Payne is set to be a UFA this off season, but it would not be much of a loss. He is a big body, but he really is no more than a backup at best. He has been average, when healthy. In 8 seasons as a pro has only managed to play in all 16 games only 3 times. Jerry Deloach hasn't been any better when he has played. I like the talent of Shaun Cody of USC, but I do not really think he is suited for the 3-4. Another option here would be Travis Johnson from Florida St, since he could play over the nose. This is not really a deep draft for DT. So that being said I would not be surprised to see them trade down or go another position early.

2. A linebacking terror to play inside beside Jamie Sharper. In the three years the Texans have been around this is one of the main spots that seems to have rotated every year. Once again too early for what is the best of the ILB, so possibly another need or trade down.

3. Like Hat Trick said, I would like to see my team get Derrick Johnson as well, just because he is such a natural playmaker (and Kailee Wong doesn't impress me much) but I seriously doubt they will. But :dazedandconfused: it would be a lot cooler if they did :dazedandconfused:.

4. Another need would be on the o-line (although I think maybe another year together would help, especially with Weigert coming back). As a fantasy owner, I didn't mind seeing Carr have to leave the pocket and take off running. But as a fan who values his franchise QB, I would say the front line definitely needs to improve. However, I think there is room for improvement with what is here, so I would wait until the 3rd-4th round or free agency to get some depth here.

With the #13 spot, the problem the Texans have is the spot at which they pick does not really meet their needs. IMO, they will probably trade down a few spots to maybe pick up an extra late round pick (Casserly loves to do this). If they stay put here, I could see them talikng any of the following:

Thomas Davis - SS - UG

Derrick Johnson - OLB - UT

Travis Johnson - DT - FSU

Braylon Edwards - WR - UM (longshot but possible giving other team's needs)

With Coleman coming back at SS and the improved play from second year players such as Earl, Robinson, & Babin, I think this unit is only a couple of moves away from being a really good defensive unit.

On the offensive side of the ball Weigert coming back at RG will help the line tremendously. The skill positions are basically set, although this is the year where either Gaffney or Bradford need to step up and take some pressure off AJ and Carr.

With the right moves, I think we are looking at 9-7 / 10-6 and a playoff spot.

Doesn't Tait play LT?  I thought they moved him back there after he played RT with the Chiefs.

I heard an unsubstantiated rumor that they were going after Walter Jones in the offseason.  Jones at LT and Tait at RT would be fantastic.

675925[/snapback]

I thought the plan was to move Tait from RT to LT and put Colombo at RT. Whatever they do, it's GOTTA be an upgrade over Tait/blocking dummy (read: Qasim Mitchell) combo they had. Ruben Brown pretty much proved that he HAS been coasting on rep for the past few years. Still, with Tait, Kreutz, and a healthy Tucker, there's a nice foundation for a REAL good OL up there.

As for GB - DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE - they aren't going anywhere with or without Favre with that D. The offense is already loaded for bear, just might need a bit of depth at WR and TE, which can come cheap in the draft or in FA.

I don't know the Giants are so packed with talent, I think we just forget the draft this year. Besides what good would it do?

675706[/snapback]

With no 1st rounder this year, I would like to see the G-Men sign a WR ala Jerry Porter or a top notch LT for the offensive line via free agency. Toomer and Hilliard aren't getting it done anymore and Eli needs more weapons. With the picks the Giants do have, I'd like to see them concentrate on OL and defense. As good as Eli may turn out to be, if the Giants don't continue to improve the defense they will never win a championship. Just ask Peyton!

Sure, San Diego gets the Giants 1st round pick this year, but the fact that Nate Kaeding (the kicker the Chargers got with one of the Giants picks last year) choked in the playoffs this year makes me feel a little better.

Edited by Dirty Sanchez

Even with Henry, the Edge and Alexander maybe hitting the market?  If at all possible, I suggest we trade down and pick up the best players available at whatever picks we end up with.  Outside of RB, there really isn't a glaring need as I feel the OL will gell this year - and I haven't given up on...er....Feeley

675196[/snapback]

Just as DJack says, we need a running back bad at #2

4. Chicago Bears - Hmmm... where do I start?  We need a QB, a WR, a run-stopping DT, and another pass-rushing DE.

675575[/snapback]

Grossman not the guy, then? Do you base this on his talent potential or propensity to get hurt?

Personally, I think WR is the most glaring need - sack Terrell and get someone willing to work at being an NFL WR.