[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bears sign Kittner...........

rocknrobn26

Sorry if this has been posted. Saw the guy play whilst RR jr'ette was at U of I. Decent QB, but i don't think he's NFL level. I guess we'll see.

Bears sign Kittner; he'll play in Europe

Tribune news services

Published January 30, 2005

The Bears are giving Kurt Kittner another chance. The team signed the former Illinois quarterback and allocated him to NFL Europe, where he will get a chance to show the Bears he deserves a shot in training camp. Kittner, from Schaumburg, led Illinois to the 2001 Big Ten title under coach Ron Turner, now the Bears' offensive coordinator.

A fifth-round pick of Atlanta in 2002, Kittner started four games in 2003 when Michael Vick was injured. He completed 44 of 114 passes (38.6 percent) with two TDs and six interceptions. Since then, he's had short off-season stays with Cincinnati, the New York Giants, New England and Pittsburgh.

He'll be starting for the Bears by October 1.

679003[/snapback]

That late? By then they'll be on starter #3 and calling for any ex-high school QBs in the crowd to please report to the locker room for uniform and helmet fittings.

Clearly, it's a direct corellation to the hiring of Turner, and watching Kittner closely in college, he has some talent.

He is a classic drop back passer with above average decision skills, so he makes the right reads...but unfortunately, his feet are slow and his arm is below average in terms of the NFL.

He'll do just fine in Europe, and I see him at the same level as Hutch at this point in time.

Turner's offense isn't a gimmick, and it can work in the NFL. Unfortunately, the Bears are going into the 05 season with the biggest question mark and the most important position.

The FB will be used extensively in both the running and passing game, so folks that are in TD only leagues and have a chance to take a late flyer on Johnson, I'd suggest you put him on the list of guys who have the potential to score 5-6 times during the course of the year.

Clearly, it's a direct corellation to the hiring of Turner, and watching Kittner closely in college, he has some talent.

679252[/snapback]

Quinn was a direct correlation to the hiring of Shea. Forgive me if I am perhaps more pessimistic than I should be. :D

Quinn was a direct correlation to the hiring of Shea.  Forgive me if I am perhaps more pessimistic than I should be.  :D

679258[/snapback]

We've all got the right to be pessimistic. Look at the depth chart.

Grossman--still green

Hutch--serviceable

Quinn-GONE

George-OLD

Krenzel-will be out of the league in a few years

Dinwoodie--cut in camp, may also do the NFL Europe thing

Kittner

No way to sugar coat it...that's Fugly.

Ursa, I'll take Ron Turner over Terry Shea, hands down. Word is, Billick wanted Turner very badly, but RT couldn't pass up the opportunity to not totally uproot the family.

We've all got the right to be pessimistic. Look at the depth chart.

Grossman--still green

Hutch--serviceable

Quinn-GONE

George-OLD

Krenzel-will be out of the league in a few years

Dinwoodie--cut in camp, may also do the NFL Europe thing

Kittner

No way to sugar coat it...that's Fugly.

Ursa, I'll take Ron Turner over Terry Shea, hands down. Word is, Billick wanted Turner very badly, but RT couldn't pass up the opportunity to not totally uproot the family.

679268[/snapback]

Agree Gil! But da Bears have Grossman as #1! So what Vet QB is available AND will serve our needs? We need a VET QB!!!!!!!!!! As #2. Kittner could serve as a #3 and a draft pick for #4, but I don't like that scenario. :D

Help us Papa George! :D

Agree Gil!  But da Bears have Grossman as #1! So what Vet QB is available AND will serve our needs?  We need a VET QB!!!!!!!!!! :

679291[/snapback]

Isn't Detroit supposed to release Mike McMahon? I wouldn't mind giving him a shot. Hell, I wouldn't even mind Harrington. Both of them are significantly better than what the Bears have now.

And, yes, Kittner was claerly signed because of Turner. I just hope that he never leave the sideline during the games, because he's not NFL starter material.

There should be some veteran QB available after June 1:

Maybe the Bucs will decide it's time to give Simms a shot and Brad Johnson will be released.

Maybe Gannon will decide to give it one more year somewhere after he's released.

Could the Redskins cut Brunell loose?

I'm pretty sure Quincy Carter will be let go by the Jets - he might be a decent pick-up for the Bears. If he can stay clean, he's probably as good as Grossman and better than the other guys they have. Heck, the guy won 10 games with Dallas last year and 2 of 3 as the Jets starter this year.

How about Bledsoe or Garcia?

Edited by Vet