[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gibbs says he's committed to Redskins for at least

johnsonk2

didn't see this anywhere...hope I'm not re-posting

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8150117

ASHBURN, Va. -- Joe Gibbs emphatically reiterated his commitment to the Washington Redskins on Monday, quashing speculation that began with a misinterpretation of remarks he made at a NASCAR media day last week.

Advertisement

"I signed a five-year contract when I came here," Gibbs told a news conference Monday. "Most people sign three-year contracts. My commitment to the Redskins, I want to do every single thing I can to restore the Redskins to winning football games."

"I'd say that my commitment is a minimum of five years. I want to get the Redskins back to winning, and that's first," he said.

Last week, Gibbs said during a NASCAR media tour that his "time in football will be short" compared to his commitment to his racing team. He then repeated a variation of a lighthearted one-liner he used several times during last year's 6-10 season: "If we don't win a few more games next year, my time in football will be real short."

Some commentators took the remarks seriously, prompting Gibbs to clarify his position Monday.

"I was joking. I was telling a joke," Gibbs said. "It's amazing how very few people evidently don't have a sense of humor. ... Our dream is to continue forever with the racing. Football, you can't do that. My time in football is going to be short -- 'er,' I should have said, meaning less time than in racing."

Gibbs was particularly upset over feedback that suggested the only reason he returned to football was for the money. Gibbs signed an NFL-record five-year, $27.5 million contract last year, when he returned to the Redskins after 11 seasons away.

"I guess the moral of this story is I can't joke," he said.

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

679858[/snapback]

Come on Joe, that is the moral of the story for everyone now days.

Read several articles over the last few weeks about his commitment to the team. I don't see him going anywhere unless he is fired.

didn't see this anywhere...hope I'm not re-posting

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8150117

ASHBURN, Va. -- Joe Gibbs emphatically reiterated his commitment to the Washington Redskins on Monday, quashing speculation that began with a misinterpretation of remarks he made at a NASCAR media day last week.

Advertisement

"I signed a five-year contract when I came here," Gibbs told a news conference Monday. "Most people sign three-year contracts. My commitment to the Redskins, I want to do every single thing I can to restore the Redskins to winning football games."

"I'd say that my commitment is a minimum of five years. I want to get the Redskins back to winning, and that's first," he said.

Last week, Gibbs said during a NASCAR media tour that his "time in football will be short" compared to his commitment to his racing team. He then repeated a variation of a lighthearted one-liner he used several times during last year's 6-10 season: "If we don't win a few more games next year, my time in football will be real short."

Some commentators took the remarks seriously, prompting Gibbs to clarify his position Monday.

"I was joking. I was telling a joke," Gibbs said. "It's amazing how very few people evidently don't have a sense of humor. ... Our dream is to continue forever with the racing. Football, you can't do that. My time in football is going to be short -- 'er,' I should have said, meaning less time than in racing."

Gibbs was particularly upset over feedback that suggested the only reason he returned to football was for the money. Gibbs signed an NFL-record five-year, $27.5 million contract last year, when he returned to the Redskins after 11 seasons away.

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

679858[/snapback]

:D:DB)