[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why Didn't Lienhar Go?

Perchoutofwater

Just read on ESPN that Lienhart succeessfully under went surgery for his elbow on his throwing arm. I was wondering if the need for this surgery might have contributed to his staying at USC. Maybe, he thought that with the injury he wouldn't be able to perform at the combine, and that the NFL teams would think he was too big of a risk, after having surgery. Just a thought.

Just read on ESPN that Lienhart succeessfully under went surgery for his elbow on his throwing arm.  I was wondering if the need for this surgery might have contributed to his staying at USC.  Maybe, he thought that with the injury he wouldn't be able to perform at the combine, and that the NFL teams would think he was too big of a risk, after having surgery.  Just a thought.

680572[/snapback]

A lot of players skip the combine, so I don't think that was a worry. The incopetence of the Browns, 49'ers and Dolphins probably had more to do with him staying.

A lot of players skip the combine, so I don't think that was a worry. 

680578[/snapback]

While a lot of the top players skip the combine, those who do usually hold individual workouts.

"[Dr.] Tibone said the Heisman Trophy winner, who passed up a chance to turn pro to return to USC for his senior year, should be able to resume throwing "in several months.""

Now what is "several months"? It very well could mean that he may not be able to throw until after the draft. Would a team take a player at #1 overall without seeing him workout first? IMO this definitely had an impact on his decision. Obviously, I have no proof, but I don't believe this is a coincidence.

The incopetence of the Browns, 49'ers and Dolphins probably had more to do with him staying.

So you are saying the team with the #1 pick next year isn't going to suck?

- surgery - might scare off some teams; very least, I bet it would knock him out of the top 10

- has had two good seasons; might up his stock with another really good one, plus prove he's healthy

- pretty good QB class, could end up sliding even disregarding the injury; dunno what next year's QB class looks like

- one more year of bangin' hot SC co-eds

Not in any particular order.

• 3 weeks later...

The school of thought that I agree with is this.

Leinhart has a chance to leave college in legendary fashion.

Potential for 2 Heisman trophies - only Archie Griffin has done that. Quarterback for a team that won 3 national championships in a row - which is at least feasible. No other player in the history of college football can make that claim. I think the risk of injury to him did not outweigh the chance of being considered the best college football player ever.

Oh and I'm not at all a USC fan. The argument just makes sense to me.