[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Emmit to retire....

Wolv

He didn't say he was retiring NEXT season ... but that when he does retire it will be as a Cowboy.

680677[/snapback]

Its a bit contradictory. The first paragraph says sources report he will retire THIS offseason. However, it almost sounds to me like Emmit will go another season if a team picks him up

:D

Emmitt should have retired a couple of years ago. Hanging on just put the record out of reach. It is tough to watch one of the top 5 backs to ever play this game just waste away in Arizona. Although he did play surprisingly well this year.

Edited by blaw23

You can say all you want...."he should have retired years ago...he's not as good as Barry....he played behind a great o-line" The bottom line on Emmitt is this...."best ever" How do we judge greatness? stats...all time leading rusher. Championships...3 Super Bowl rings. Toughness...5'9 205 pounds...never ran out of bounds...his toughness is legendary...as Giants fans will tell you. Heart....need I say more? Barry was the better "runner" but as far as the "total package" Emmitt is the guy. There are certain players who I believe have earned the right to play as long as they want (Jerry Rice, Curtis Martin, Jerome Bettis..to name a few) and Emmitt should go out on his terms, whether it be this week or at the end of next year...either way, the NFL will be losing one of the all-time greats.

You can say all you want...."he should have retired years ago...he's not as good as Barry....he played behind a great o-line" The bottom line on Emmitt is this...."best ever" How do we judge greatness? stats...all time leading rusher. Championships...3 Super Bowl rings. Toughness...5'9 205 pounds...never ran out of bounds...his toughness is legendary...as Giants fans will tell you. Heart....need I say more? Barry was the better "runner" but as far as the "total package" Emmitt is the guy. There are certain players who I believe have earned the right to play as long as they want (Jerry Rice, Curtis Martin, Jerome Bettis..to name a few) and Emmitt should go out on his terms, whether it be this week or at the end of next year...either way, the NFL will be losing one of the all-time greats.

681273[/snapback]

Well said!! :D

681273[/snapback]

Traitor :D

Headline at boston.com says that Emmitt is denying this rumor. :D

681477[/snapback]

He did deny it, but he has made it clear that he wants to play in Dallas and if they don't want him, I think he'll retire. I also heard that Jerry Jones was in Jacksonville, maybe to discuss this very thing.

937 yards (and missed time - coulda had 1000) and 9 TDs is a better season than many starting RBs in the league. Not bad for a 35 year old. Thats a good season to end on. I'd love to see him retire in Dallas though.

Headline at boston.com says that Emmitt is denying this rumor. :D

681477[/snapback]

Yeah, same thing here:

Cardinals | Smith Denies Retirement Talk - from www.KFFL.com

Tue, 1 Feb 2005 14:43:30 -0800

Updating an ongoing story, ESPN reports Arizona Cardinals RB Emmitt Smith is denying the speculation that he will announce his retirement soon.