[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Emmit to retire....

Wolv

I love it when I read posts on here saying someone should have retired years ago...or it's a shame to see him wasting away.

Emmitt Smith had nearly 1000 yds last year and he did have 9 TD's and the guys is 35 yrs old. Where is the shame in those stats?

Does he still perform the way he did when he was 25? NO, but he's not 25 anymore.

Was he still effective? Yes, most definitely.

Should he still play? Yes, if he wants to and if someone will pay him, he should play.

I mean think about it, would you retire if someone was willing to pay you a couple million dollars a year to play? I think, as long as he has a desire to play and someone is willing to pay him he should play.

Especially if he is still playing well.

And here's an interesting stat line

Emmitt Smith

Rookie Year - 21 yrs old

241 Carries for 937 yds and 11 TDs (3.9 yds per carry)

Last year - 35 years old

267 Carries for 937 yds and 9 TDs (3.5 yds per carry)

And in all the years in between he has only gained less than 937 yds once and that was 2 years ago when he was hurt or not playing most of the year.

Edited by Jrick35

Jrick35 ... Emmitt still wants to play.

The problem is that he is at the end of his career and will demand big money AND he wants to be the starter. There are not many teams out there that are willing to pay Emmitt the money he wants AND make him their starter. I am also sure that there would be a whole host of teams that would be willing to pay him less to be in a back up role ... but Emmitt won't settle for that.

That is why he will retire.

Jrick35 ... Emmitt still wants to play.

The problem is that he is at the end of his career and will demand big money AND he wants to be the starter.  There are not many teams out there that are willing to pay Emmitt the money he wants AND make him their starter.  I am also sure that there would be a whole host of teams that would be willing to pay him less to be in a back up role ... but Emmitt won't settle for that.

That is why he will retire.

681996[/snapback]

If those are his terms and know one will mett them then he should retire. I have no problem with him retiring or not retiring.

I just don't understand the people who say he should retire because he is "done".

That's why I say he should play as long as he wants to.

There are players on teams who are collecting paychecks every week who have spent their entire careers on the bench. So if an Emmitt Smith or a Jerry Rice wants to keep coming back to play, in whatever role they are comfortable with, and so long as someone is willing to pay them, then I say let them keep coming back.

They have earned it.

There are players on teams who are collecting paychecks every week who have spent their entire careers on the bench. So if an Emmitt Smith or a Jerry Rice wants to keep coming back to play, in whatever role they are comfortable with, and so long as someone is willing to pay them, then I say let them keep coming back.

They have earned it.

682007[/snapback]

Well said

I love it when I read posts on here saying someone should have retired years ago...or it's a shame to see him wasting away.

Emmitt Smith had nearly 1000 yds last year and he did have 9 TD's and the guys is 35 yrs old. Where is the shame in those stats?

Does he still perform the way he did when he was 25? NO, but he's not 25 anymore.

Was he still effective? Yes, most definitely.

Should he still play? Yes, if he wants to and if someone will pay him, he should play.

I mean think about it, would you retire if someone was willing to pay you a couple million dollars a year to play? I think, as long as he has a desire to play and someone is willing to pay him he should play.

Especially if he is still playing well.

And here's an interesting stat line

Emmitt Smith

Rookie Year - 21 yrs old

241 Carries for 937 yds and 11 TDs (3.9 yds per carry)

Last year - 35 years old

267 Carries for 937 yds and 9 TDs (3.5 yds per carry)

And in all the years in between he has only gained less than 937 yds once and that was 2 years ago when he was hurt or not playing most of the year.

681840[/snapback]

I agree completely. I will add the caveat that there does reach a point where it is ridiculous for a superstar to be out there still. Emmitt's definitely not there; Rice is getting close IMO. But at the same time, if he wants to keep playing, it's his life and his legacy.

He is....he isn't .........he is:

Cowboys | Emmitt to Announce Retirement? - from www.KFFL.com

Wed, 2 Feb 2005 09:58:23 -0800

Updating an ongoing story, Jean-Jacques Taylor, of the Dallas Morning News, reports Arizona Cardinals RB Emmitt Smith has scheduled a Thursday press conference, Feb. 3, where he is expected to announce his retirement from the NFL, according to three sources. At that time, Smith is expected to announce his plans to retire as a Dallas Cowboy, according to one of the sources.

:D

2/1/05 06:03pm Post #11

Huddler

Group: Members

Member No.: 5,875

4th best RB

--------------------

"Baseball is dull only to dull minds." -- Red Barber, announcer

4th best ????????? He was the 22nd Rb in my fantasy league. He should have retired long ago. Don't get me wrong, he was a very good back. But with that line he had for all of those years, played a major role in his success. If Barry would have played 2 more years, Smith wouldn't have touched him. Yes he is the rushing leader, but there were numerous other Rb's that were better than he was.....J.Brown, W.Payton,G. Sayres, M.Faulk,B.Sanders,P.Holmes...that's only naming a few......Imagine what these guys would have done with that O line Smith had for all of those years......

4th best ?????????  He was the 22nd Rb in my fantasy league. He should have retired long ago. Don't get me wrong, he was a very good back. But with that line he had for all of those years, played a major role in his success. If Barry would have played 2 more years, Smith wouldn't have touched him.  Yes he is the rushing leader, but there were numerous other Rb's that were better than he was.....J.Brown, W.Payton,G. Sayres, M.Faulk,B.Sanders,P.Holmes...that's only naming a few......Imagine what these guys would have done with that O line Smith had for all of those years......

683059[/snapback]

Blah blah blah

The fact that he was 22nd in your fantasy league means NOTHING. Would have, could have, might have ... it's all meaningless, bottom line Emmitt has more rushing yards than any other player, period.

4th best ????????? He was the 22nd Rb in my fantasy league. He should have retired long ago. Don't get me wrong, he was a very good back. But with that line he had for all of those years, played a major role in his success. If Barry would have played 2 more years, Smith wouldn't have touched him. Yes he is the rushing leader, but there were numerous other Rb's that were better than he was.....J.Brown, W.Payton,G. Sayres, M.Faulk,B.Sanders,P.Holmes...that's only naming a few......Imagine what these guys would have done with that O line Smith had for all of those years......

683059[/snapback]

You are quite possibly the stupidest human being alive with your comments above. Your trying to tell me Marshall Faulk, Priest Holmes and Gale Sayers were better through out their careers than Emmitt?!?! Okay tool, listen close because I grow weary of doing this. Escambia High School...before Emmitt arrived...two plus years without a win...Emmitt shows up...2 state Championships. University of Florida...2 losing seasons, ranked almost dead last in rushing in division 1...Emmitt arrives...Gators go to bowl games, and he breaks every school record for rushing. Dallas Cowboys...1-15 in 89'(with both Aikman and Irvin) Emmitt arrives in 1990, they win their first of 3 SuperBowls in 1992. Games Emmitt missed in 13 seasons as a Cowboy....7, Cowboys record in those 7 games....1-6, for a team that won at about a 60 percent clip during those years..why only 1-6 in the games he didn't play?? Not to mention, not ONE 100 yard rusher in those 7 games. Next time you open that hole on the front side of your head...bring some facts....and show some respect by spelling Gale Sayers name right.

You are quite possibly the stupidest human being alive with your comments above. Your trying to tell me Marshall Faulk, Priest Holmes and Gale Sayers were better through out their careers than Emmitt?!?! Okay tool, listen close because I grow weary of doing this. Escambia High School...before Emmitt arrived...two plus years without a win...Emmitt shows up...2 state Championships. University of Florida...2 losing seasons, ranked almost dead last in rushing in division 1...Emmitt arrives...Gators go to bowl games, and he breaks every school record for rushing. Dallas Cowboys...1-15 in 89'(with both Aikman and Irvin) Emmitt arrives in 1990, they win their first of 3 SuperBowls in 1992. Games Emmitt missed in 13 seasons as a Cowboy....7, Cowboys record in those 7 games....1-6, for a team that won at about a 60 percent clip during those years..why only 1-6 in the games he didn't play?? Not to mention, not ONE 100 yard rusher in those 7 games. Next time you open that hole on the front side of your head...bring some facts....and show some respect by spelling Gale Sayers name right.

--------------------

Ok, you can get off your knees now. I'm sure E.Smith enjoyed your company. Lets take a look at a few rb's career rush yds per carry avg.

THe numbers after the avg per carry, is the yards these Rbs would have with all of E.Smith's 4,117 carries.

E.Smith-4.2 17,354

P.Holmes-4.7 19,349

M.Faulk-4.3 17,703

W.Payton-4.4 18,114

B.Sanders-5.0 20,585

E.Dickerson-4.4 18,114

T.Dorsett-4.3 17,703

J.Brown-5.2 21,408 .....This one is my favorite.....

Emmit is the most overrated Rb EVER !!!!!!!

4th best ?????????  He was the 22nd Rb in my fantasy league.

683059[/snapback]

The guy probably meant all-time in his opinion, not this past year :D

From where Emmit was drafted this past year, I'd say 22nd turned out greater than anyone's expectations :D

--------------------

Ok, you can get off your knees now. I'm sure E.Smith enjoyed your company. Lets take a look at a few rb's career rush yds per carry avg.

THe numbers after the avg per carry, is the yards these Rbs would have with all of E.Smith's 4,117 carries.

E.Smith-4.2 17,354

P.Holmes-4.7 19,349

M.Faulk-4.3 17,703

W.Payton-4.4 18,114

B.Sanders-5.0 20,585

E.Dickerson-4.4 18,114

T.Dorsett-4.3 17,703

J.Brown-5.2 21,408 .....This one is my favorite.....

Emmit is the most overrated Rb EVER !!!!!!!

683355[/snapback]

And if Michael Vick gets 3000 carries he'll get 25,000 yards right? I was wrong...you've topped your own stupidity. If two guys are running a two mile race, and guy 1 runs the first mile in 5 minutes while guy two runs it in 5 minutes and 30 seconds, but during the second mile, guy 1 runs out of gas and doesn't finish the race, while guy 2 does...does that make guy 1 better?? NO, he didn't finish...TOOL! It took you all day to come up with those numbers...and I have proven you a moron in thirty seconds....nice game of "What if" though.

E.Smith-4.2          17,354

By the way...Emmitt finished his career with 18,355 yards....how did you come up with the number you have?? You should just step away from the keyboard before you step in anymore of your messes.

Vick is the most overrated Qb as well......Your right, running is the only thing Vick can do. He sure can't read defenses. We'll see in a year or two when Vick is busted up from running, because he sure can't pass.

I can tell you're one of those "know it all" guys. All i'm saying is that Smith did have a great career. But there are a number of other backs that could have done better than Smith in the same situation. He played on solid teams for most of his career,had an above average line most of his career, and had other playmakers to help him out. Take Payton for instance (the #2 back of all time, behind J.Brown). He played on terrible teams for most of his career, and the defense knew he was getting the ball. And he still ran all over them......

Whenever people say Emmitt always had a great line and great teams I agree to a point but I always think about the year he held out and Dallas started out 0-2.Shouldnt any back have had success if that theory held true? He ended the hold out and they went on to win the superbowl.

Edited by whomper

Whenever people say Emmitt always had a great line and great teams I agree to a point but I always think about the year he held out and Dallas started out 0-2.Shouldnt any back have had success if that theory held true? He ended the hold out and they went on to win the superbowl.

684312[/snapback]

That is my point. 1-6 in games played without Emmitt...no 100 yard rushers...interesting.