HOF....GTFO?

Homey123

I may be showin' my ignance but how could Dan Dierdorf and Jackie Smith be in the NFL Hall of Fame?

I think of Dierdorf as a competent lineman, a crappy MNF announcer, and provider of 50% of the name of a St. Louis steakhouse.

I think of Jackie Smith as a butterfingers receiver, the Bill Buckner of the Superbowl.

Who here can straighten me out?

Edited by Homey123

I may be showin' my ignance but how could Dan Dierdorf and Jackie Smith be in the NFL Hall of Fame?

I think of Dierdorf as a competent lineman, a crappy MNF announcer, and provider of 50% of the name of a St. Louis steakhouse.

I think of Jackie Smith as a butterfingers receiver, the Bill Buckner of the Superbowl.

Who here can straighten me out?

684815[/snapback]

At the time of his retirement, he (Jackie Smith) ranked as the all-time receiver among tight ends with 480 receptions for 7,918 yards and 40 touchdowns.

I think that retiring as the leading player at your postion ever, garners a spot in the hall. Of course his numbers have been passed since then but at the time of his retirement he was the all-time leading TE in NFL History.

As for your Buckner reference it's just plain foolish to reduce a players entire career down to 1 play. Buckners error came in game 6, it was the entire team that came back out the next day to lose game 7.

And in the game you mention when Smith dropped the easy TD, the Cowboys gave up 35 points that game including 2 TD's in 19 seconds when Randy White fumbled a Kickoff. So there were a lot more reasons why the Cowboys lost that game than just Smith's non-catch. Besides had he caught it and everything else went the same the rest of the game then all that would have gotten the Cowboys is OT, during which they may still have lost the game.

As for Dierdorf, he played the O-line for 13 years, made 6 pro Bowls, and was the anchor of an offensive line that gave up the fewest sacks for the season, in the NFC, for 5 straight years. In one of those seasons his O-line allowed only 8 sacks all year. And when asked to he was able to move to the center position at play at a Pro Bowl level there as well.

His announcing skills not-with-standing Dan was a great Offensive Lineman.

At the time of his retirement, he (Jackie Smith) ranked as the all-time receiver among tight ends with 480 receptions for 7,918 yards and 40 touchdowns.

I think that retiring as the leading player at your postion ever, garners a spot in the hall. Of course his numbers have been passed since then but at the time of his retirement he was the all-time leading TE in NFL History.

As for your Buckner reference it's just plain foolish to reduce a players entire career down to 1 play. Buckners error came in game 6, it was the entire team that came back out the next day to lose game 7.

And in the game you mention when Smith dropped the easy TD, the Cowboys gave up 35 points that game including 2 TD's in 19 seconds when Randy White fumbled a Kickoff. So there were a lot more reasons why the Cowboys lost that game than just Smith's non-catch. Besides had he caught it and everything else went the same the rest of the game then all that would have gotten the Cowboys is OT, during which they may still have lost the game.

As for Dierdorf, he played the O-line for 13 years, made 6 pro Bowls, and was the anchor of an offensive line that gave up the fewest sacks for the season, in the NFC, for 5 straight years. In one of those seasons his O-line allowed only 8 sacks all year. And when asked to he was able to move to the center position at play at a Pro Bowl level there as well.

685083[/snapback]

Way to drop some knowledge :D .

685083[/snapback]

So Art Monk should be in, right?

Since we're mentioning it - Paul Hornung has no business in the Hall of Fame. Joe Namath is sorta sketchy, too - Namath woudn't be in without SB III, that's for sure.