"Franchise Player" Tag

DexterDew

For the first time in weeks, I went to the CBS Sportsline and noticed that two players, Edge and Rudi, were threatening to sit out the year if their respective teams slap them with the "franchise player" status, thus retaining their services for one more year.

My question is this, if these two "wonderlicks" sit out for the year, are they unrestricted free agents, able to sign with anyone? What is their official status for the year that they are out? Unable to perform? Team suspension?

I know each team is allowed to designate one player, therefore there are 32 a year, but has anyone sat out a year? or is it just a ploy for the Polston brothers? or does everybody sign for the year, and pray that they don't get hurt a la Julian Peterson?

just wondering...

If they sit out an entire season, they will become a free agent in 2006.

They cannot really complain about the franchise tag. That was negotiated with the players union a long time ago and they as NFL players agreed to it. Only one out of 53 players on each team thinks it sucks.

When you're franchised, aren't you guaranteed a one year salary equal to what a top 5 player in that position is making? I guess it sucks to be them, but I won't lose a minute of sleep over it.

686122[/snapback]

Yes, if he signs the Franchise tender offer, he gets pais the average of the top 5 players in his position. But this applies to salary only and not bonuses.

They cannot really complain about the franchise tag. That was negotiated with the players union a long time ago and they as NFL players agreed to it.

685546[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly.

When you're franchised, aren't you guaranteed a one year salary equal to what a top 5 player in that position is making?

686122[/snapback]

Yes they are. I can understand why a guy like Edge or Rudi would be unhappy about it as longevity for most NFL RBs isn't long to say the least. They want to get multi-year deals while they can...even though most NFL deals aren't guaranteed money, they usually get a nice chunk of money up front via their signing bonuses. I agree with you though Czarina, I don't think any of us should be losing sleep for a guy who gets franchised...I can think of worse things than a $5 + million salary for 2005 (not sure what the exact figure is, but I think somewhere between $5-8 million). :D

My question is this, if these two "wonderlicks" sit out for the year, are they unrestricted free agents, able to sign with anyone?  What is their official status for the year that they are out?

685543[/snapback]

Their official status is LOSER. "I'm only getting paid $8 million when I should be getting $10 million." :bawling: :bawling: :violin: Die ungrateful jerks.

I don't think the issue is that they could make more money if they signed a new contract versus what they would get paid as the franchise player.

I think it's the principle of the club unwilling to have new negotiations for a long term contract with the player. In the case of Rudi Johnson:

The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Rudi Johnson would rather sit out the entire 2005 season than play under a one-year deal as the Bengals' franchise player. "He feels he has earned the right not to play for insecurity," agent Peter Schaffer said. "It's not anti-organization. It's not Corey Dillon. I was very clear: Rudi feels his contributions to the team and his stats warrant that, if he is going to play for the Bengals, that it is not for one year.

I don't think the issue is that they could make more money if they signed a new contract versus what they would get paid as the franchise player.

I think it's the principle of the club unwilling to have new negotiations for a long term contract with the player. In the case of Rudi Johnson:

686445[/snapback]

The issue is always money. Contracts are almost always not guaranteed in the NFL. A guy could sign a 5 year contract, but it really means nothing as his team could cut him after a year and not have to pay him in most cases (though the team would take a big cap hit). Players like Edge and Rudi don't want to be franchised because if they sign a long-term deal, they get a much bigger signing bonus, which is usually paid up front, and is guaranteed money.