[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

People picking Eagles to win...

slimshim

I got the Birds for $100 @ +320 on the money-line.

686812[/snapback]

+320!! That is sweet!!!

I haven't read any of the other replies, but here's my take.

Number One, I am a hugh homer, so that makes a big difference in my pick.

Number Two, these teams are almost carbon copies of each other. They are disciplined, aggressive, well-coached and they force turnovers. They both have outstanding defenses. They both have a team-first philosophy, and both are bound to be really ready for this game. They are evenly matched across the board.

I think the difference is in the Offense and Special Teams. Offensively, I think the Birds are more explosive than the Pats. NE are like German-engineered automatons. They do not make mistakes. Brady is one of the most patient and heady QB's I have ever seen. They will not make any mistakes. The Eagles will have to capitalize on a few big plays and field position, but I think the big-play capability is there, especially with the return of TO, and the play of Westbrook.

Special Teams will be huge, and I think Philly will win that battle all day long. Westbrook will be returning punts again, and NE has given up a lot of yards on the return team. Bottom line, I think the Eagles can put enough pressure on Brady to force him into being a non-factor. Dillon gets held to under 100 yds. Field position becomes key, and the Eagles hit the jackpot on 2 or 3 really big plays (either long catches, or PI) that put them in scoring position-- they take advantage of that.

Birds 27

Pats 13

I haven't read any of the other replies, but here's my take.

Number One, I am a hugh homer, so that makes a big difference in my pick.

Number Two, these teams are almost carbon copies of each other. They are disciplined, aggressive, well-coached and they force turnovers. They both have outstanding defenses. They both have a team-first philosophy, and both are bound to be really ready for this game. They are evenly matched across the board.

I think the difference is in the Offense and Special Teams. Offensively, I think the Birds are more explosive than the Pats. NE are like German-engineered automatons. They do not make mistakes. Brady is one of the most patient and heady QB's I have ever seen. They will not make any mistakes. The Eagles will have to capitalize on a few big plays and field position, but I think the big-play capability is there, especially with the return of TO, and the play of Westbrook.

Special Teams will be huge, and I think Philly will win that battle all day long. Westbrook will be returning punts again, and NE has given up a lot of yards on the return team. Bottom line, I think the Eagles can put enough pressure on Brady to force him into being a non-factor. Dillon gets held to under 100 yds. Field position becomes key, and the Eagles hit the jackpot on 2 or 3 really big plays (either long catches, or PI) that put them in scoring position-- they take advantage of that.

Birds 27

Pats  13

686857[/snapback]

You're right...you are a HUGH homer. If you look at what these teams did, particularly in points against and points scored, and in particular compare this against their schedules, picking the Eagles by 2 TDs shows blind homerism.

Statisical analysis puts the Pats as heavy favorites.

It's the intangibles that you have to look at to see where the Eagles have a chance. It's all about what the Eagles can do with the 7 or so broken plays they try to capitalize on, and about which defense capitalizes on the most mistakes. Philly has the advantage there because the Pats do not have much ability to turn a broken play into a gain. Defensively I would give the Pats the play making edge, but certainly not by anywhere near the margin the Eagles have it on offense. Remember, though, that New England was top 5 in points scored this year. That means the Eagles have to do a good deal to make up for that difference. Advantage Eagles on Offense as a whole? I don't get it. Special teams...maybe. If Akers can make a clutch kick.

Hey...people will like who they like. We won't know the right answer until after the game, and either team could pull out a nice win. I just don't see how you can compare statistics and accomplishments and point to an Eagles advantage. :D

As an addendum...

While the disparity here isn't nearly as great between the teams in terms of talent and execution as a whole, I see this match similarly to the match between the Rams and the Pats in '01. The Eagles can certainly win, but they are the team that needs to 'find a way'. The X factor is giving Ady Reid the 2 weeks necessary to find it. I worry more about that than anything else!!

You're right...you are a HUGH homer.  If you look at what these teams did, particularly in points against and points scored, and in particular compare this against their schedules, picking the Eagles by 2 TDs shows blind homerism.

Statisical analysis puts the Pats as heavy favorites.

It's the intangibles that you have to look at to see where the Eagles have a chance.  It's all about what the Eagles can do with the 7 or so broken plays they try to capitalize on, and about which defense capitalizes on the most mistakes.  Philly has the advantage there because the Pats do not have much ability to turn a broken play into a gain.  Defensively I would give the Pats the play making edge, but certainly not by anywhere near the margin the Eagles have it on offense.  Remember, though, that New England was top 5 in points scored this year.  That means the Eagles have to do a good deal to make up for that difference.  Advantage Eagles on Offense as a whole?  I don't get it.  Special teams...maybe.  If Akers can make a clutch kick.

Hey...people will like who they like.  We won't know the right answer until after the game, and either team could pull out a nice win.  I just don't see how you can compare statistics and accomplishments and point to an Eagles advantage.  :D

686865[/snapback]

I see what you are saying, and I agree up to a point. I think the Eagles nullify Dillon, and are able to put pressure on Brady. I think they will hamstring the Pats Offense by making them dink-and-dunk drive the length of the field every possession and holding them out of the End Zone. The Eagles' D is good enough to do that, IMHO. If Dillon gets hot, though, the game is all but over, because Brady will be able to burn them on big plays downfield off play-action. Offensively, I think with the maturation of McNabb, and the ability of WEstbrook to create mismatches, and Reid's development as a Head Coach, they will take their shots down the field-- moreso than the Pats. I think this will be the difference, besides field position, which I already mentioned. I am hoping for a great game, regardless. I have a lot of respect for the Pats, and what they have done the last couple of years.

I would LOVE to know if the people that are picking Philly to win (especially by 7+ points) are doing so emotionally, or they truly have figured out from a gameplan and matchup perspective that Philly should win this game.

This question has been eating at me. Please respond and explain. I need to know what I'm missing here.

Slim

:D  :D

686687[/snapback]

Since I started this thread, I had to follow up by saying congrats to Eagles fans. Philly seemed stronger offensively and defensively in the 1st half. They seemed to get progressively exhausted in the 2nd half but still showed alot of heart. It was a much better matchup than I anticipated. Even though I lost 500 smackers on the game, I had a great time watching it. Thanks!!!

Slim

:D

Yeah, hey freddie mitchell!

687347[/snapback]

That's not poor discipline, that's weak junk from a 1st Round Bust, who couldn't cash a check on the field that he wrote with his mouth.

You did notice how after Reid talked to him he backed off and shut up, right?