Canseco names names

Skrappy1

After years of beating around the bush, it looks like Jose Canseco is about to release a new book that implicates several prominent former teammates as steroid users. Among them is Mark McGwire :bigshock: :sarcasm:, who he says he personally injected with steroids, and also witnessed Jason Giambi and McGwire inject each other. He also says that while with the Texas Rangers, he introduced steroids to Rafael Palmeiro, Ivan Rodriguez and Juan Gonzalez.

I know many people will point out that Canseco is an idiot and is bitter from having been pushed out of baseball. I'm sure that's all true, but I don't know that he is a liar...plus he and his publishers would have to be straight idiots to make potentially libelous allegations like this if there wasn't truth to it. I'd suspect you hear some public denials from these players, but if there aren't any lawsuits that come from the book, that speaks a lot louder to the fact that the allegations are very likely all true.

Edit to add this link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1985653

Edited by Skrappy1

As I was clicking the link to enter this thread, the only word that dominated my thoughts was "idiot".

688389[/snapback]

Hmm...is that a shot on Canseco or Skrappy1 himself? :D

Yeah? So?.....I mean, is it a surprise that any of this was rampant?

From Brady Anderson on....the number is in the hundreds....

688402[/snapback]

A surprise that those players may have used steroids? Not remotely. But honestly, I am a little surprised that someone has broke the fraternal order of silence within baseball to publicly implicate players other then himself (which of course several players including Jose had already done years ago). Jim Bouton put out Ball Four 35 years ago, and people still talk about it today, but this could potentially be far worse.

One thing I thought of while reading another article about Jose's book, I think on Foxsportsnet.com...they said Canseco is not remotely remorseful in his book and he says that he never would have made it to the major leagues were it not for the 'roids. That says a lot to the performance increases these guys can achieve, not that there already weren't plenty of examples from guys like Brady Anderson, Barry Bonds, Giambi, and scores of others just like them. It also made me think back to David Well's book though, he had faced Jose Canseco a few times while they both were in the minor leagues.

Boomer said that the first year he ever saw Jose, he was a scrawny little kid who was pretty much the easy out in the lineup, didn't scare anyone one bit. The following year he faced him again and said that he had put on an easy 30 pounds of muscle, and had these gigantic ripped arms and shoulders and was tearing up the league...I think he (Canseco) was promoted to the bigs either later that year or maybe the following year. I gave the book to a friend of mine after I read it so I can't look up the exact quote, but it was something right along those lines. I guess Boomer wasn't exaggerating for once.

Hmm...is that a shot on Canseco or Skrappy1 himself? :D

A surprise that those players may have used steroids?  Not remotely.  But honestly, I am a little surprised that someone has broke the fraternal order of silence within baseball to publicly implicate players other then himself (which of course several players including Jose had already done years ago).  Jim Bouton put out Ball Four 35 years ago, and people still talk about it today, but this could potentially be far worse.

One thing I thought of while reading another article about Jose's book, I think on Foxsportsnet.com...they said Canseco is not remotely remorseful in his book and  he says that he never would have made it to the major leagues were it not for the 'roids.  That says a lot to the performance increases these guys can achieve, not that there already weren't plenty of examples from guys like Brady Anderson, Barry Bonds, Giambi, and scores of others just like them.  It also made me think back to David Well's book though, he had faced Jose Canseco a few times while they both were in the minor leagues. 

Boomer said that the first year he ever saw Jose, he was a scrawny little kid who was pretty much the easy out in the lineup, didn't scare anyone one bit.  The following year he faced him again and said that he had put on an easy 30 pounds of muscle, and had these gigantic ripped arms and shoulders and was tearing up the league...I think he (Canseco) was promoted to the bigs either later that year or maybe the following year.  I gave the book to a friend of mine after I read it so I can't look up the exact quote, but it was something right along those lines. I guess Boomer wasn't exaggerating for once.

688490[/snapback]

LOL, nah dude you're alright! :D

Canseco has a few screws loose.

plus he and his publishers would have to be straight idiots to make potentially libelous allegations like this if there wasn't truth to it. 

686931[/snapback]

My guess is that unless the statements can be proved false there is no grounds for libel. Canseco is basically testifying to something he personally saw and/or did. It's a case of his word against those he accuses. Obviously given that they are discussing steriod use in the early 90's there is no way it can be proved either way. For the publishers its all about selling books and making a buck.

I heard on the radio this morning that some BIG names still haven't been revealed from the book, some current players.  This is so awful for baseball, hopefully it cleans it up.

688858[/snapback]

I think the last sentence is the most important. Hopefully baseball gets it cleaned up.

My guess is that unless the statements can be proved false there is no grounds for libel.  Canseco is basically testifying to something he personally saw and/or did.  It's a case of his word against those he accuses.  Obviously given that they are discussing steriod use in the early 90's there is no way it can be proved either way.  For the publishers its all about selling books and making a buck.

688748[/snapback]

Essentially this is true, but since he has supposedly implicated several people together (for instance he says that he witnessed Giambi inject McGwire and vice-versa), if it was untrue and they really wanted to pursue it legally, I'm pretty sure that they could if they were both willing to testify that it was false...I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen though.

This is so awful for baseball, hopefully it cleans it up.

688858[/snapback]

Hopefully baseball gets it cleaned up.

688877[/snapback]

I agree with you both, maybe something good will come out of the book if it can contribute to baseball finally getting cleaned up. These recent offensive numbers are absurd, it skews the entire history of the game.

And what timing by Canseco; a week or so before catchers and pitchers report.

689121[/snapback]

Actually, his timing is brilliant. They moved the release date up on the book and he's going to be doing an interview on 60 minutes next Sunday. With no football, baseball or hockey going on right now for the sports media to talk about, he's going to be getting an awful lot of free publicity.

Guest Anonymous User

I can't see any of the big names he mentioned being much interested in getting in a pissing match with Canseco. They may not like what he had to say but I'd be willing to bet they don't think it is worth their time or in their best interest to pursue legal avenues.

Just as Canseco can't prove what he says is true, those he named can not prove them false. I see no value to be gained by any of those he name suing.