[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Giants Homers

soopanuts

Ok people, what does the team need to do in the offseason to improve the team?

Here's a couple of thoughts I have (in no particular order):

1. Beef up the OL

2. Acquire a WR during FA

3. Get healthy on defense

4. Get rid of Dayne (is he a FA?)

5. Get younger (WRs come to mind although I love Carter)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carter shows glimpses, but he has to stay healthy.

Big time pass protection help, which will allow Shockey to do what he's good at: get involved in the passing game, not floundering around around the line trying to pass block.

Get a real third down back.

I also think the 2 Wil's got exposed this year. I'm not convinced that they're the answer. They might need added secondary help.

I think the Will's got torn up more because a. the defense was on the field a lot and b. the two starting safties were put on IR. I'm not saying they're the best tandem in the league, but with a healthier support I think they work nicely.

I couldn't agree more that the pass protection needs help.

Having no 1st round draft choice blows chunks.

Edited by soopanuts

If I ran the Giants, I'd focus solely on offense this year. You need to get Eli on track this year, that is mission critical.

Try to get an O-lineman through free agency and draft another. Then try to get one of the free agent WRs. I don't like Plaxico Burress, but I think that's who'll they'll get.

I think you've covered it pretty well already.

OL has to be a BIG priority. It's not going to be easy to fill this through free agency without commiting a lot of money. If I am not mistaken, I believe the Giants are currently projected to somewhere around 3-4 million over the cap with the current roster. I'm sure there will be some cuts to make room. Address this need and it helps to free up Shockey as well.

WR is next on my list. Toomer is on the downside of his career. The have a few younger speedy guys, but none have established themselves. Carter was looking to be a good deep threat until he went down. If they can't free up Shockey from his blocking duties, they need another possession guy.

I think the defense will be better if they get everyone back in one piece. The problem wit the two Wills is they never pick anything off. They drop way too many balls. Gibril Wilson was a real eye opener. With him and the other safeties back healthy, Usi and Strahan providing the rush, the Wills will be less exposed. The real problem is up the middle. The LBs need to improve. This is going to be the weak spot.

The lack of the first round pick is going to make it difficult to accomplish as much in the draft, and the lack of cap room is going to hurt them in free agency.

Frankly, I'm not expecting big things from them this coming season. I think the should concentrate on the offensive side of the ball and try to give Eli a younger group of up and coming talent to grow with.

The Giants have some glaring holes. O line, LB's, and they need a WR. Having said that, NO wide out would do well until the O line is vastly improved. Manning will take plenty more abuse this next year too, as would any QB on that team, as is. Shockey needs to stay healthy for a whole year. they need a playmaker at the LB spot somewhere. The Giants LB corp reminds me of the Jets two years ago. They just don't worry anyone.

I think you summed it up pretty well. The LB corps does need some help also. The problem I think is the Giants have never been that active in FA and unless they are the draft is a tough one this year for us with no #1. There was a post by Hugh that asked "would you rather have a #1 or Eli. For me that's a tough one to answer. I like him and think he progressed toward the end of the season but, if they keep the past game plan and aren't active in FA then I'm afraid Eli will be a commodity we don't need. The Giants have made a living of having QB's that weren't great but good and because of they way they attacked the game they won. With the existing WR and line unless they get new blood, Eli may be exactly what we had except he comes with a higher price tag. I hope they do change the way they play getting more into the passing game but, they need the right personel for that first. Let's just hope things go their way.

Get rid of Toomer and Hilliard and go get Moss.

If they do nothing else to hte O-Line, move Pettigout over to the right side. He can't play left tackle in this league.

Get some speed at LB.

Hire a new trainer. We had WAY too many injuries in the defense last year.

Get rid of Toomer and Hilliard and go get Moss.

If they do nothing else to hte O-Line, move Pettigout over to the right side. He can't play left tackle in this league.

Get some speed at LB.

Hire a new trainer. We had WAY too many injuries in the defense last year.

691329[/snapback]

Problem is they don't have enought chips to use to get Moss and the have no one else to play on the left side. This is where I would try to improve through free agency. If they can get a starting left tackle, then they can move Pettigout.

Problem is they don't have enought chips to use to get Moss and the have no one else to play on the left side.  This is where I would try to improve through free agency.  If they can get a starting left tackle, then they can move Pettigout.

691358[/snapback]

Frankly, I doubt that any team has the chips to get Moss, but it's be worth a shot IMO. We don't have the impact receiver that Coughlin's offense needs.

As far as Pettigout is concerned, anyone we put over there couldn't play any worse. We could go after someone in FA, but we can't pay so much that we can't fix the receiving corps issues.

WR & OL must be the first priorities.. not that the defense couldn't also use some help, but just have people healthy next year would be a huge improvement. Tiki and Shockey are fine, but if we don't get someone to block for Eli and someone to catch the ball, he's in trouble.

Frankly, I doubt that any team has the chips to get Moss, but it's be worth a shot IMO. We don't have the impact receiver that Coughlin's offense needs.

As far as Pettigout is concerned, anyone we put over there couldn't play any worse. We could go after someone in FA, but we can't pay so much that we can't fix the receiving corps issues.

691856[/snapback]

I don't disagree, I just don't think it is realistic. The Vikes need defensive help and speculation is they also want several #1 picks. We don't have a #1 to give up this year and I would not be happy if they gave up any future #1 picks. On the defensive side, we may be able to part with a safety like Shaun Williams or Stoutmire. Strahan and Osi are probably the two most tradable assests we have. I'd hate to lose either of them.

I have to believe if the staff thought they had someone who could play left tackle better than Pettigout, they would have made the change already. Coughlin isn't the type to worry about pissing anybody off.

I have to believe if the staff thought they had someone who could play left tackle better than Pettigout, they would have made the change already.  Coughlin isn't the type to worry about pissing anybody off.

691918[/snapback]

If Coughlin had someone that would have helped out more than Pettigout he would have been playing I believe.

Clearly the teams OL is a big concern and I would be suprised if the did not adress that first.

A big time WR would be nice and I think the price on Moss is going to be to much. I don't even think Coughlin would want a guy like Moss anyway.

Ah, Strahan.... an interesting subject. I'm a Jets fan, but by no means a Giant hater. I have G-Men fans who are friends, and some of them despise Strahan. A Mark Gastenue (sp) in disguise, but I certainly would not go that far, but I do think he's average at best against the run. I think he's tradable.

I think the WR the G-Men should get is Porter. He's big, and a downfield threat. Perfect. Just what they could use, without the headaches Moss would bring. Can you imagine Moss playing for Coughlin? :D It would be fun to watch though, being a Jets fan. There are rumors about Moss to the Jets, I sure hope not. The guy is an arse tool.

Even though I can't stand Moss...he would be a great addition to the team. We defintely need a playmaker at WR.

Below I copied a quote from NFL Whispers, it's from another thread.

We hear the Giants’ interest in Raiders CB Phillip Buchanon is not as great as some might think. Although the team would like to add a playmaker at corner, Buchanon might not be a legitimate option. If the team cannot land a top tackle with its first draft pick — either its high second-rounder or a higher pick if it tries to move into the first round, as rumored — don’t be shocked if it looks to add a corner early in the draft.

Yeah, I saw the whispers thing. Interesting that they want to move into the first round. Coughlin needs to be careful though. I believe it's better to bite the bullet and miss a first round pick this year than to continue to mortgage the future by trading away next year's picks (Re: San Diego).

Although Strahan has value as trade bait, I'd really hate to see him go. With him and Osi and some solid young DTs we have a really good D line.

I don't want to see them go after Buchanon. I think the Wills are solid if the other 9 guys on defense are solid and healthy. The DL is good by me, but we need help at LB.

We need a top tackle, LB help and a playmaker at WR via FA and the draft. Go get it done.

You know who else I liked last year? ACL boy, 6th round pick Jamaar Taylor. He only had 6 catches, but they went for 146 (or 24.3 yd/rec). He would have went higher in the draft if not for the knee and this season he'll be almost 2 years out from surgery.

So, no one likes the idea of Jerry Porter? I really think he'd solve the problems at WR, while Carte andsome others can develop.

694263[/snapback]

Yes, I like the idea. He was one of a few names we were tossing around a week or two ago. Since it looks like he wants to try out the FA market, I hope they give him a serious look.

Yeah, I'd like Porter, certainly a huge step up from Ike and lesser one from Toomer. And I do think Jamaar Taylor is coming along. But he's still not a polished route runner. Hopefully that will come in time. If the wind blows Carter breaks something, I don't think we can count on him to be much more that a warm body.