[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Denver may switch to 3-4

soopanuts

It's not a scheme that beats Manning, it's a team. The Pats are a great team, and they would adjust that scheme if they thought it would beat an opponent.

If they don't get better players on that D, then it's not going to matter what scheme they use cuz Indi will make them look like a high school team again. They're even more dellusional, or desperate, than the week before their most recent humiliating loss to the Colts if they believe otherwise.

Yea, I heard this as well too which makes absolutely no sense to me. For an effective 3-4, you need 3 big stuff the line type of players and Denver has 0!!! You also need 4 great linebackers and Denver has 2 (Wilson and Williams). No way does this make sense for Denver. Shanny is an idiot if he tries to change the entire team to beat one team. Maybe his D Coord. needs to be more creative and use various scheme's that work against certain teams. Or a serious upgrade in talent in the secondary. There's a thought!!!

The difference between a 3-4 and a 4-3 it seems to me, is blurred these days. An athletic DE can drop into coverage, and an LB might blitz, or it might be the SS instead, where the LB goes into pass coverage. It all really should, IMHO, depend on the personnel on the defense, what thier tallents are, and the game situation.

The Pats have what I think is one of the best LB corps EVER! They can do it all, and that is what makes them so tough. They can run stuff, blitz, or cover. I don't care how the Pats line up, they can do whatever they want because of that LB corp. A 3-4 can look like a 3-4, but play like a 4-3. And vice-versa. What a team HAS to have, is a great MLB for anything to work. He calls the play just like a QB on offense. This is why Bellechick (I can never remember how to spell his name!) :D is so good. He did not have that sort of talent at Cleveland, but in NE he does. He has the athletic D lineman, and the versatile LB's, and it makes for a very tough defense, one even Manning (you know which one) still can't figure out.

Sure if you have the personnel.  Just ask Atlanta how the 3-4 worked for them with 3-undersized DL tyring to hold the line of scrimmage.  Especially since they had the perfect DL for the 4-3 which everyone saw this year.

690351[/snapback]

Right on - saying "Manning struggles more vs the 3-4 so that's what we'll do" sure sounds nice, but without the proper personnell, you're pounding round pegs into square holes, to possibly disastrous effect.