[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ATTENTION ALL ILLINI BASKETBALL FANS

Chargerz

This isnt the first game this year where I felt the Illini tried to coast a bit. Off to the really meaningful games now!

722907[/snapback]

Oh yeah, I'm sure all of them were thinking to themselves how overrated being the first team to go undefeated in 30 seasons would be, they knew they needed a "good loss" before the tourney to ground them a bit.....

Puh-leeze, mailing it in....That shows very little respect for this solid, solid team. They got beat, they lost, 29-1.

Regroup and get on to some more meaningful games.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, I'm sure all of them were thinking to themselves how overrated being the first team to go undefeated in 30 seasons would be, they knew they needed a "good loss" before the tourney to ground them a bit.....

Puh-leeze, mailing it in....That shows very little respect for this solid, solid team. They got beat, they lost, 29-1.

Regroup and get on to some more meaningful games.

722931[/snapback]

My point is that they were up double digits in the first half and the game looked to be in hand more or less. I think they overlooked the possibilty that Ohio St would come back in the second half the way they did. I didnt see the effort I would have liked to see in the second half. I've been an Illini fan my whole life and maybe my vision is skewed by that a bit but if I was coaching that team I would have chewed them a new ahole after that game. Then again if I was coaching that team they would have been 1-29 instead of the other way around. :D IMO if they had put forth the same effort in the second half that they had in the first they blow that team out of the building!

The statement "Off to the really meaningful games now" was mine, not in anyway suggesting that is what the Illini were thinking. Looking at the quote I can easily see how it was misinterpreted.

My point is that they were up double digits in the first half and the game looked to be in hand more or less. I think they overlooked the possibilty that Ohio St would come back in the second half the way they did. I didnt see the effort I would have liked to see in the second half.

722948[/snapback]

I can understand that, but I see it as an OSU team with nothing to play for except to be the team that sticks the L on the undefeated team, gunning for it in the 2nd half and knocking them off.

The Illini ought to learn how to control games where teams have nothing to lose when playing them. Otherwise, they will be on a plane ride home in two weeks wondering what happened.

I can understand that, but I see it as an OSU team with nothing to play for except to be the team that sticks the L on the undefeated team, gunning for it in the 2nd half and knocking them off.

The Illini ought to learn how to control games where teams have nothing to lose when playing them. Otherwise, they will be on a plane ride home in two weeks wondering what happened.

722956[/snapback]

I couldnt agree more . Lets hope they learn fast!

84-50...29-0.

Yeah, sure...Ohio State will beat them on Sunday.  :D

720261[/snapback]

Not the first bad call of my life (and it won't be my last).

Having a HUGH place in my heart for my school, and being along for the ride in 89', I must say I am relieved this happened today.

First of all, I'd like to think I keep all this homerism in check, and I was almost ready to dive into the shallow end. Now I can keep this in proper perspective and it will keep me healthier....I won't blow an artery in the next month.

With seeing the #1, #3, and #7 go down today (not to mention the #2 taken deep), it is conclusive that several teams can win the NCAA championship. Depending on the "any given day" theory, this year's Sweet 16 will comprise of any 8-10 teams that can very well take it all. It will be fun to watch.

Illinois' only hope is if they come out in the Big 10 tournament and post 20+ point victories. The same team that had Gonzaga and Wake Forest up by 30+ before they called the dogs off...that's what I need to see again. If they do that in the Big Ten and the first two rounds of the big dance, they'll have it all together.

Congrats to Thad Matta (two years in a row) and that kid who will relive his shot forever.

Excellent regular season by, no doubt, the best team in the country.

Illinois

and being along for the ride in 89'

723067[/snapback]

God bless Rumeal Robinson, Glen Rice and Sean Higgins. :D

Edit to add I'm rooting for them in the tourney, unless they face Michigan State. I think it will come down to Illinois and UNC. Hopefully the bracketologists will put them on opposite sides to set up a potential championship game between the two schools that I feel are easily the best two in the country.

Edited by Puddy

God bless Rumeal Robinson, Glen Rice and Sean Higgins. :D

723072[/snapback]

Had to stick that in there again...couldn't leave well enough alone. :D

The Illini were 1 pt. away from doing something no team had in 29 years, but it all goes back to the Higgins put-back with you.

Your knife is sharp.

Excellent regular season by, no doubt, the best team in the country.

Illinois

723067[/snapback]

Excellent indeed, and most likely, but back to an earlier point....7 of last week's Top 10 got beat yesterday and today.

Who's #1?

Just because they got the best record, I'd keep Illinois #1 on my ballot, #2 UNC, #3 Wake Forest, #4 and beyond is a mess.....Louisville might be playing themselves into a 1-seed. Exciting week up ahead.

Excellent indeed, and most likely, but back to an earlier point....7 of last week's Top 10 got beat yesterday and today.

Who's #1?

Just because they got the best record, I'd keep Illinois #1 on my ballot, #2 UNC, #3 Wake Forest, #4 and beyond is a mess.....Louisville might be playing themselves into a 1-seed. Exciting week up ahead.

723095[/snapback]

I don't think there is any doubt who should be the #1 team in the country this week. UNC going to the wire at home doesn't vault them above the Illini. JMO.

Had to stick that in there again...couldn't leave well enough alone.  :D

The Illini were 1 pt. away from doing something no team had in 29 years, but it all goes back to the Higgins put-back with you.

Your knife is sharp.

723094[/snapback]

Sorry Gil, but you did jar my memory again by mentioning '89. :D

With seeing the #1, #3, and #7 go down today (not to mention the #2 taken deep), it is conclusive that several teams can win the NCAA championship. Depending on the "any given day" theory, this year's Sweet 16 will comprise of any 8-10 teams that can very well take it all.  It will be fun to watch.

723067[/snapback]

It comes down to that, doesn't it! The team that can put it all together at tournament time will win it all, as usual. The "any given day" principle lives on in college hoops!!!

Guest dabears

Yes, I was quite amazed at the losses took this past weekend. It was said throughout this thread that IL needs to control their lead and totally agree. This is your typical Illinois team - even a few games this year as well they showed score control issues. Remember when IL b-ball was mostly unpredictable. You don't know who will step up if anyone. They lose games they are up by 12... I don't think enough credit is going to the bench this year, I think they are the guys holding the team together. Not the big scorers, but they definitley do their part to give rest to the starters. I also learned when Brown has a shaky game, it's shaky throughout. He could not forget about that aired 3 pointer throughout the game, the crowd reminded him each time as well. He had quite a few opportunities, but not being confident, dished the ball away. Anyway my ramblings mean that someone has to step up each game or it's your typicall IL team. Brown was down and nobody was able to come in and relieve. I think Powell is a scrapper and played a great physical game.

IL wanted this win pretty bad, I think they played a little under the gun and a little too conservative. Maybe concentration was just not there and focus is towards the tourney, who knows.

Nobody seems down here (in town) at all, more of a relief than anything. This loss could not have come at a better time.

ILL- INI!

Edit: spelling/grammar

Edited by dabears

Guest dabears

Just heard: The local paper had to change every sport section/page because they had in big print: Illinois 30-0

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched...

Edit: What happened was the paper had a fat 30-0 on Sun morn paper w/Illini need one more as a small headline. So, it wasn't a misprint or anything, just bad carma. Sorry, no links. Just wanted to fix my err.

Edited by dabears

IL wanted this win pretty bad, I think they played a little under the gun and a little too conservative.  Maybe concentration was just not there and focus is towards the tourney, who knows.

Nobody seems down here (in town) at all, more of a relief than anything.  This loss could not have come at a better time.

723525[/snapback]

It's interesting to get your perspective since you're close to the action. I'm glad to hear there is relief and not depression in Illini land.

Guest dabears
It's interesting to get your perspective since you're close to the action. I'm glad to hear there is relief and not depression in Illini land.

723752[/snapback]

Yeah, the guys got a huge ovation when they got in town. People at stores will make small chat if you're wearing Illini gear and everyone talks up for the tourney. Such a huge change from football season, a total 180.

Check this out, St. Louis, Chicago, Indy are all within like 180ish miles from Champaign. I'm sure the crowd's will be bleeding orange.

29 and 1, we're about to have fun :D

That's very interesting. If you ever find that reference, I'd love to read it.

718201[/snapback]

Here is the LINK to the article saying that it is histrorically better to enter the tournament undefeated.

E

Edited by Eraser

Here is the LINK to the article saying that it is histrorically better to enter the tournament undefeated.

730718[/snapback]

It's kind of historically irrelevant isn't it?

I mean, UNLV was the last one to do it, right? And that was like 14 years ago? Was there one between them and Indiana in 1976?

It's kind of historically irrelevant isn't it?

I mean, UNLV was the last one to do it, right? And that was like 14 years ago? Was there one between them and Indiana in 1976?

730794[/snapback]

Indiana was the last team to go undefeated and win the NCAA tourney....that was in 1976. UNLV entered the tournament undefeated (last to do so) in 1991.....only to get upset by Duke.

E

Edited by Eraser

Indiana was the last team to go undefeated and win the NCAA tourney....that was in 1976.  UNLV entered the tournament undefeated (last to do so) in 1991.....only to get upset by Duke.

730805[/snapback]

Right, I should have been more clear.

The point being that there were no teams between these two (right?), so effectively the "historical" examples are pretty irrelevant.

Though I found it interesting that the 74 NC St. team is the only club to win the tourney with just 1 loss.

Sad to hear about the passing of Coach Weber's mother tonight.  :D

731099[/snapback]

Dang! She died? I heard that something happened to her, but the last I heard she was still alive. What awful news!!! :D

With Illinois winning the Big Ten tournament by 11 over Wisconsin today, I like the new momentum they have going into the NCAA tourny!!! :D:D

With Illinois winning the Big Ten tournament by 11 over Wisconsin today, I like the new momentum they have going into the NCAA tourny!!! :D  :D

732484[/snapback]

Flat, sleepwalking, tired....they looked all that over the weekend. However, due to them having a relentless defense and the 3 guard look not many can match up with, they didn't have anybody that could hang with them. They would not have won several conference championships (ACC/Big12/Pac10--SEC-maybe) with the way they're currently playing.

I don't like the fact Dee Brown's shot isn't going down as he drew the collar today and only made 2 yesterday.

They are very vulnerable, but should cruise to the Sweet 16....I hope! :D